Saturday, Aug 2, 2014 04:34 am est

Ruffian Fall/Winter 2013

Posted on February 9, 2013 | by Angana Maheshwari

Click the photo for more looks from Ruffian.

Ruffian’s Fall 2013 show started with a bright red light to create an alternative mood in the audience. Alternative rock music was playing in the background to further add the rock and retro style. The looks, however, came off as more of a 60’s style made modern rather than alternative or retro.

Designed by Brian Wolk and Calude Morais, Ruffian’s first model wore a bright violet suit with a long flowery patterned shirt, almost looking like a short dress. Accessorized with a bright violet hat in the style of a helmet and brown leather short-heeled boots, it was clearly noticeable that Ruffian’s look was very official.

Throughout most of their looks, there was a repeating pattern of stripes and flowers, styled with ties, bows and corsets. The models were alternating between different accessories including round sunglasses, hats and the boots. The boots were either smart, official, brown leather boots or casual winter snow boots, showing how the designers can make their outfits smart and formal or casual and comfortable.

The designs started off abstract with bright colours and minor patterns, moving then simpler designs with more bold and solid colours such as black, brown, blue and white. Each look was very English-inspired, but with a hint of East Asian fashion. A long necklace with Chinese designs was added, making it a standout piece.

Angana Maheshwari is a contributing writer. Email her at bstyle@nyunews.com

Comments

• Sangeeta

Very expressive and got the flavour of the selection.

• Sangeeta

Enjoyed reading the descriptive flair.

• FASHION EXPERT

WOW stellar article! After reading the article I feel almost as if I was at the show itself. Keep up the good work WSN.

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next