Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 10:46 am est

Jill Stuart Fall/Winter 2013

Posted on February 9, 2013 | by Helen Holmes

Click the photo for more looks from Jill Stuart.

In the midst of a sea of reporters, socialites, and celebrities trying too hard to be noticed by street photographers, Jill Stuart’s, simple, gorgeous, and brilliant Fall/Winter 2013 show was a revelation. Staged in the Theatre and packed to the rafters, the show began almost 25 minutes late, leaving many glamorous fashionistas uncomfortably shifting from foot to foot in towering heels while checking their iPhones, pretending to text. But when the speakers began to blare rock music and the lights came up, all was forgiven.

Ms. Stuart began with a perfectly tailored wool tuxedo jacket paired with equally flattering pants, letting the audience know that her clothes were for a girl unafraid to take risks. This ensemble was followed by a slew of perfectly on-trend, monochromatic outfits in different shades of black and grey — a swingy A-line party dress complete with white cuffs and collar; a lustrous winter coat that bulged fashionably at the upper arms; a sleek dark vest paired with a liquid black button-down. All were wearable, unique, and worthy of envy.

However, as the show progressed, Ms. Stuart proved that she was capable of creating far more than just the cool-girl uniform. Her favored understated fabrics were replaced suddenly with a positively sumptuous pattern that appeared to have been snached from the tapestries of an English manor: black and spotted with small, richly colored figures, the fabric worked perfectly on short-hemmed dresses made unique by clever scalloping on the chest and hips. These were followed by an array of sheer black blouses and dresses dotted with pure gold polka dots, a touch that elicited sighs of longing from the audience. And then there were the stripes: geometrically arranged and brilliantly hued in shades of black and red, they elevated Stuart’s flouncy dresses from simply clever to inspired.

The designer’s only misstep was her show’s final act, which consisted of peach-hued dresses dripping in applique flowers and ironic sweetness; this choice seemed out of place within her overarching cool girl aesthetic. Her styling, on the other hand, was spot-on: the girls’ hair was straight and slightly mussed, and brimming with the electricity of winter air. As for makeup? Almost none. In short, Ms. Stuart presented a series of clothes that weren’t just next season’s look — if the eyes of the women in the audience were any indication, they wouldn’t have minded wearing Ms. Stuarts creations right out of the tent and into the chilly February morning.

Helen Holmes is a deputy features editor. Email her at hholmes@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next