Saturday, Jul 26, 2014 03:13 pm est

Highland Fall/Winter 2013

Posted on February 9, 2013 | by Maximiliano Duron

Click the photo for more looks from Highland.

It’s something you don’t get instantly. In the fifth-floor Highline loft, organized madness ensues as models, slouch in ’70s-inspired sofas on thick-knit rugs, throw popcorn at each other and pass around a couple of cigarettes.

The space for Highland’s first presentation is littered with sports trophies, lava lamps and the right-hand wall is covered with pegs from an indoor rock climbing wall, as high-voltage music blasts and a video of rock climbers is projected onto the left corner walls.

“Our inspiration for this collection was of group of California rock climber in 1970s called the Masters of Stone, who were sort of pioneers, trail blazers — they’re bad ass personified,” said Cramer Tolboe, a collaborator of Highland, along with Lizzie Owens and Mike Franks.

And suddenly it clicks. This collection is not something that is obvious menswear fashion, but that is what makes it art: classic fall-weather clothing with a twist that induces thought.

“The three of us grew up in Utah, so we have an outdoor-inspired aesthetic mixed with a wanting to be in the city culture,” Franks said.

And it is this outdoorsy element that allows the fall collection to succeed with a bold yet restrained elegance that would make any man look sharp.

The team’s background has allowed Highland to become masters of the men’s jacket. All examples on display are well tailored in an array of different colors that look cozy yet fashion-forward.

One stand out shows mauve pants with a marbled lavender rib-knit sweater topped off with a beautiful maroon-rooibos jacket. The daring ensemble would be perfect for an adventurous man’s hiking trip on a crisp fall day in the Appalachian Trail.

A second look exhibits expert design has the model sporting a black patterned bandana, a black quilted shiny bomber jacket, a faded chalk shirt, a Highland logo tee and a gray cargo pants. With this cool outfit, Highland shows that fashionable layering can be successfully pulled off.

Headwear is also sprinkled throughout the collection with the models wearing beanies, oatmeal baseball caps, bandanas and even thin headbands. Highland is able to make the female hipster signature into a men’s accessory that was edgy and refreshing.

Highland displays clean, inspired patterned pants from refined dark blue marbled herringbone pants to the rock climber’s essential mountain pants in chalk and even a few risky ikat pants that pays off.

While some of the styling was a little off in the collection, as some looks are a little too basic and drifted into the American Apparel catalogue territory, overall Highland gives brilliant modern menswear that offers an artistic compromise for the man who wants to stay fashionable yet warm and comfortable.

Maximilíano Durón is an editor-at-large. Email him at mduron@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next