Wednesday, Aug 20, 2014 02:31 pm est

Hervé Léger by Max Azria Fall/Winter 2013

Posted on February 9, 2013 | by Kristina Bogos

Click the photo for more looks from Herve Leger.

“It’s about dreaming,” said designer Max Azria backstage at his fall 2013 Herve Leger by Max Azria runway show.

If there is one skill Azria and his design partner Lubov Azria have honed in the past six years, it’s their ability to reinvent their signature stamp: the bandage dress.

This year’s collection of body-conscious dresses took a trip to France, taking inspiration from the artist duo Les Lelanna who sculpt surreal animals and vegetation, and who are unafraid of mixing reality and nature with the imagination. Like the French artists, the Azria duo fused together elements of nature with an urban landscape to create a line of form-fitting pieces with stud details, intricate embellishment, and jacquard weaving—all for the woman who isn’t afraid to dream, take risks, and push boundaries.

And the Azrias pushed the envelope themselves this year, adding a new dimension to their bandage dresses by crafting them with applique and geometric beading, caviar textures, and leather harnesses and corsets. A standout feature of the fall line was the designers’ ability to accent each dress with either a goatskin fur hoodie or a baseball cap. The harsh accents, however, did seem somewhat out of place with a line that Azria had described as delicate.

Unlike the neutral but vibrant color scheme of the spring 2013 collection, which was inspired by a quilt-weaving community in rural Alabama, the fall 2013 lineup was rooted in a palette of blacks, greys, and dark jewel tones like bordeaux purple, malachite green, alabaster white, and midnight port. Exotic prints also crept into the collection in the form of gunmetal scroll printed pants and ocelot leopard printed bandage dresses.

What haven’t the Azrias already accomplished? Over the years they’ve managed to create a bandage dress that any woman could wear simply by revamping their iconic item in its design and style. And at today’s runway show, the Azrias announced the launch of Herve Leger by Max Azria footwear that is slated to hit the designers’ boutiques in the coming months. So what do they have in store for the future?

“I don’t know…let me think about that tomorrow,” Max Azria said with a laugh.

Whatever that may be, one thing is certain. When Max and Lubov put their minds together, they stretch the horizons of their design aesthetic to create clothing for every kind of woman.

Kristina Bogos is features editor. Email her at kbogos@nyunews.com.

Comments

• Holiday High

What an awesome experience!! You were so blessed to have gotten that interview. I’m only sorry it wasn’t longer! You are destined for GREAT things! Am so proud. of. you!

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next