Monday, Jul 28, 2014 08:34 pm est

Christian Siriano Fall/Winter 2013

Posted on February 9, 2013 | by Hilary Presley

Click the photo for more looks from Christian Siriano.

Tucked away from the blustery winds and piles of snow, Christian Siriano transported his audience away to the golden age of the Russian Opera for his Fall/Winter 2013 collection.

Inspired by the lavish interiors of Saint Petersburg’s Mariinsky Theatre, Siriano translated the opulence of the royal 1880’s into a decidedly wearable collection of sleek black cocktail dresses, moto jackets and luxe fur coats. Pieces were sophisticated in structure– think nipped-in waists, raised necks, pleated swing skirts and rich in texture with liberal use of velvet, furs, lame, leather and even metallic wool. Siriano deftly played with and riffed on the classic Russian style (a milkmaid bonnet here, a fur hat there) creating a collection fit for a modern day Czarina.

With opulent Russia as his guide, Siriano easily could have relied too heavily on gilded embroidery and over the top extravagance. Instead, he kept it fresh and modern. Embellishment was done tastefully, and only occasionally, with lovely Miriam Haskell jewelry. His girl is a modern day Russian princess with a devil may care attitude and an affinity for leather. She rocks her layers of tulle and sequins with the same edgy spirit as her cropped vest and dominatrix over-the-knee boots.

Highlights of the collection included a gold embossed jacquard moto jacket and matching pencil skirt (complete with a sky high slit) which seamlessly married opulent texture with wearable, modern silhouettes that would look just as at home on a Parisian Editrix as a runaway Czarina. A silver lacquered coat with tulip hem continued the brocade trend but the shiny lacquer finish and military style construction made it feel fresh for Fall 2013.

While the palette was restrained to inky black and gold, there was one bright spot of color in the form of three metallic fuchsia wool looks. However the punchy color and abundance of glitter strayed away from the sophisticated world of the Russian opera and into disco territory.

A parade of gilded gowns, tinkling with tiny paillettes closed out the stellar show. Stylists, social scene darlings and bright young actresses alike left the gilded room dreaming of grand Russia.

Hilary Presley is a staff writer. Email her at hpresley@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next