Friday, Apr 18, 2014 04:04 am est

TOCCA Fall/Winter 2013

Posted on February 8, 2013 | by Alyssa Noud

Click the photo for more looks from TOCCA.

It may have only been two years since TOCCA revamped their brand with the launch of the Fall/Winter 2011 collection – merging their established label with the artistic direction of Emma Fletcher – but the maturity and femininity of the Fall 2013 collection demonstrated that TOCCA is going to be around for a while.

As the doors to the presentation swung open, mellow music enticed the audience into the dark space where 20 illuminated models stood in a circle around a floating flowers centerpiece. The ambience of the room was resemblant of a whimsical garden, complete with chiffon flowers covering the faces of several models in order to complement the femininity of the wardrobe.

“An unapologetic femme fatal” is the term TOCCA used to describe the women of their collection. Sleek lines in below-the-knee A-line skirts and loose fitting chiffon and silk blouses incorporated elements of minimalism as well as sultriness. Black was the dominant color of the collection, but a variety of pieces included hues of blue, pink, and beige.

With their hair pulled back in a low bun and minimal makeup on their faces, the models echoed the simplistic, dainty feel of the clothes. Although it was a collection for the fall, nothing about it seemed dark or cold – with loose dresses and camisoles, it was rather refreshing and youthful.

In addition to the flowy pieces, an array of tailored jackets, coats, and capes in a range of fabrics made their presence in the collection. Attention was immediately drawn to the trend of the oversized, popped collar on several of the coats.

However, one piece of the collection truly stood out. A deep royal blue, turtleneck dress falling mid-thigh was a shocking, yet beautiful outlier in a collection of neutrals and limited embellishments. With a geometric pattern and a ¾-length sleeve, the dress was a vision in blue.

In one word, the pieces of the collection were timeless. There was none of the extravagant, unwearable outfits that designers so often present. It seemed as though TOCCA designed each piece with the modern, daily woman was in mind.

Alyssa Noud is a contributing writer. Email her at bstyle@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
Tatiana Baez

Assistant Managing Editor | A CAS junior, Tatiana is studying journalism, environmental science and politics. She’s a bomb editor, as well as the staff’s main source of entertainment because she sings along to every song after 12 a.m. She also writes about culture, science, technology and sex, and her work has been featured in VICE, Motherboard, Elite Daily, amNewYork and others. She enjoys eating Thai food, reading fiction and binge-watching Netflix.

And in case you were wondering how great she really is — “I just can’t get enough of Tatiana” is a direct quote from her EIC at WSN only moments ago.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next