Friday, Aug 1, 2014 07:52 am est

Blanc de Chine Fall/Winter 2013

Posted on February 8, 2013 | by Jewel Jiang

Click the photo for more looks from Blanc de Chine.

Female Apsaras, the female spirit of clouds and water, is a beautiful symbol of the rich culture of Dunhuang, an oasis in the famous and mysterious Silk Road of Ancient China. The Apsaras are able to fly without wings, with the support of the light and floating fabrics and ribbons. They are the inspiration for Blanc de Chine Fall/Winter 2013 Collection, named “Dunhuang.”

Lightness is the emphasis of the women’s collection, inspired by the traditional soft and flowing dresses of the Apsaras. Velvet and silk are extensively used, creating an elegant and fluid feeling; translucent elements are seen in jackets, capes and Qi Paos to further emphasize on lightness. Several pieces, including a brown reversible jacket and a silk crepe dress made use of asymmetrical cut to bring out the illusion of floating and movements.

The show opened with an asymmetric signature print tunic, with black silk skinny pants. The colors of the print tunic set the tone of the whole show, signaling a change from the label’s spring collection, which featured mainly monochrome pieces.

Following the first look are more colorful pieces, including a multi green draped front dress with print linings, a silk crepe asymmetric draped dress with pink sequin detailing, a multi color long dress as well as a stunning long navy Qi Pao (cheongsam) with blue sequin detailing.

The colors were inspired by “Sancai” tones – the tri-color tones used in the glazed pottery of Tang Dynasty, as well as on Dunhuang Mural arts depicting the dresses of Apsaras. An interesting twist is the ending of the show, a long black classic Qi Pao. This elegant piece served as a powerful ending, bringing back some weight into the collection and reminding the audience of the simple but sophisticated beauty of traditional Chinese designs.

The men’s collection is not as exciting as the women’s, with the only new element of smooth waterfall collar, inspired by the robes in Tang Dynasty. The collection featured the standard silk shirt, formal and casual style jackets with flat front pants.

The Silk Road was once the most important connection between East Asia and the West. It was an important route for the exchange of goods, and more importantly the exchange of cultures. The name “Dunhuang” symbolized the motto of Blanc de Chine of amalgamating traditional Chinese culture into modern lifestyle. The Fall/Winter 2013 Collection served the name well.

Jewel Jiang is a contributing writer. Email her at bstyle@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next