Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 05:33 am est

Alexandre Herchcovitch Fall/Winter 2013

Posted on February 8, 2013 | by Marina Zheng

Click the photo for more looks from Alexandre Herchcovitch.

The lights dim, the crowd silences, and out saunters a model gracing a beautifully crisp sleeveless white midi dress featuring an exaggerated peplum waist. The first look was met with the hushed ‘wow’s of the audience but little did they know that the collection would blossom further.

Inspired by flowers, plants, and all things botanical, Alexandre Herchcovitch’s autumn/winter 2013 collection took the overdone idea of floral influences and transformed it into artistic mastery.

Shades of ivory white, rose red, leafy green, and flowery plum were all duly appropriate considering the theme of the collection. As for prints, Herchcovitch avoided the predictable in-your-face florals and opted for something a bit more understated and muted. The delicate leafy flowers that appear on the sleek trousers and silky blouses resemble watercolors on paper rather than patterns on fabric.

Everything about this collection – from the volumes of the skirts to the ruffles on the dresses – was abundant, big, and dramatic. Origami shaped dresses with modern architectural qualities resembling the shapes of flowers dominated the runway. Ruffles attached to the waist of streamline silk dresses cascaded down the backs of the models, fluttering behind them in the most feminine way imaginable.

A particular showstopper was an ivory satin skirt with full oversized ruffles spilling over the top. The detail’s reference to the petals of a flower was hard to overlook. Another standout was a deconstructed voluminous striped satin dress featuring one attached sleeve and one sleeve gracefully slipping off the model like a falling petal.

As if the clothes couldn’t speak for themselves, Herchcovitch reached a new level with accessories. Average pumps and clutches were made with straps that depicted leaves in their stages of color change, ranging from dark brown to mossy green. The make-up was also kept in tune with the central theme of natural beauty. Think bare faces, thin eyeliners, and matte lips.

Herchcovitch delivered not only a beautiful collection, but also one that was creative, original, and endearingly literal. He is an artist who can take an idea we’re all too accustomed with and tastefully translate it into a concept we can’t get enough of.

Spotted in the front row: Sophia Lamar, Pita Davis, and a blonde Leigh Lezark

Marina Zheng is a staff writer. Email her at bstyle@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next