Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 01:23 am est

NAACP adds voice to Bloomberg soda ban

Posted on February 6, 2013 | by Komal Patel

In the war against Mayor Bloomberg’s soda-restricting law, the Coca-Cola Company has found some potentially surprising allies.

The New York State Conference of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and the Hispanic Federation have filed an amicus brief against a law set to take effect on March 12. The law bans the sale of soft drinks over the size of 16 ounces in efforts to reduce the city’s obesity rates.

Recently, the fact that the Coca-Cola Federation financially supports both of these organizations is causing more raised eyebrows.

The NAACP remains firm in its position that the law enacted by Mayor Bloomberg unfairly attacks minority business owners.

“Our stand against Mayor Bloomberg’s soda ban is about basic economic fairness,” said Hazel N. Dukes, president of the NAACP New York State Conference in a press release. “Bloomberg’s ban attacks the little guy, while giving a pass to big corporations.”

The NAACP press release failed to address any suspicions raised from their financial connection with the Coca-Cola Company.

The president of the Hispanic Federation Jose Calderón, doesn’t see any problems with what may seem to be a conflict of interest. He said in an official statement that partnerships do not affect the agenda of the Hispanic Federation.

Bloomberg’s health commissioner, Dr. Thomas Farley, argued that the law would offset negative health effects of large sugary drinks and indirectly help minority communities.

“The obesity crisis calls for bold action,” said Dr. Farley in an issued statement. “Sugary drinks are a leading cause of this epidemic, and they increase the risk of heart disease and diabetes. This regulation will help those suffering from obesity and its health effects, including members of minority groups who are disproportionately affected.”

Gallatin sophomore Madel Beaudouin, a member of NYU’s Latinas on the Verge of Excellence Mentoring club, said that although she was skeptical of the NAACP’s and the Hispanic Federation’s motives, she did sympathize with small shop owners.

“As I understand it, the bodegas are going to be really hurt because while the corporate chains can handle the loss of revenue, essentially these small mom-and-pop stores need all of the help they can get,” Beaudouin said.

A version of this article appeared in the Wednesday, Feb. 6 print edition. Komal Patel is a contributing writer. Email her at cstate@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next