Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 06:39 am est

Roundabout’s ‘Picnic’ is a feast for the eye

Posted on January 28, 2013 | by Olivia George

In the Roundabout Theatre Company’s revival of “Picnic,” William Inge’s classic play about love and lust in Kansas, Maggie Grace stars — alongside actor Sebastian Stan’s abdominal muscles — as the beautiful Madge. In the role of Hal Carter, the drifter who brings a whole new kind of heat to a sweltering small town, Stan struts about the stage, usually with a bare chest and an attitude that suggests no intention of reminding anyone where his eyes are, but his revealing costumes cause the production to border on pornographic at times.

While it may seem in poor taste to discuss an actor’s appearance as opposed to his talent, Inge’s play functions on a level concerned with this kind of skin-deep analysis. The story centers on Madge, a blonde who has never been anything more than a great pair of legs. Utterly unfulfilled in her relationship with a sweet, clean-cut rich boy in town, Madge inevitably falls for Hal. She finds a kindred spirit in the damaged man, who has never been valued for anything but his torso.

It is difficult to feel for Madge, as she whines about wishing people could see something more than a pretty face. Any kind of deeper layer seems highly unlikely in a character who spends all of her time sunbathing and putting on make-up. Her immaturity may be appropriate, but it’s far from sympathetic. It isn’t until we hear from Reed Birney’s Howard that we begin to feel for Madge. His greasy declaration that God would only make something so beautiful for one reason, and that “it’s about time someone showed her what it was,” is enough to make every woman in the audience want to walk home with her arms crossed and her head down.

Sam Gold’s direction of the play creates a delicious sense of voyeurism that melds seamlessly with the themes of the show. The actors perform without microphones and without any acknowledgment of an audience. They often disappear inside the house on the stage, where the audience only catches glimpses of them through the windows, and enjoys a slightly muffled delivery of their lines. While many new wave performances come crashing through the fourth wall, this production keeps it firmly in place, giving spectators the feeling that they are spying on their neighbors, as opposed to watching a show. “Picnic” is engrossing in its naturalism.

Mare Winningham, of ’80s film “Brat Pack” fame, plays Flo Owens, mother to Madge and to her smart-but-dowdy younger sister Millie. Flo operates with a kind of sincerity that suggests her feelings toward her daughters are the only source of real love that exists in the show. Everyone else is motivated by either lust or desperation. Winningham’s dialogue with the ever-endearing Ellen Burstyn, who plays the Owens’ neighbor, brings the show’s final scene to a bleak and poignant close.

“Picnic” is playing at the American Airlines Theater, 227 W. 42nd St., through Feb. 24.

A version of this article appeared in the Jan. 28 print edition. Olivia George is theater/books editor. Email her at ogeorge@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next