Friday, Aug 1, 2014 07:51 am est

Ridiculed 49ers quarterback to face ultimate challenge in Super Bowl

Posted on January 27, 2013 | by Nishaad Ruparel

Colin Kaepernick is a controversial player with an equally temperamental beginning. The San Francisco 49ers quarterback enjoyed his first start in week 11 of the season, substituting for injured quarterback Alex Smith. At the time, Smith was the league’s leader in completion percentage and the third highest rated quarterback in the NFL. During week 11, Kaepernick went 16-23 with a pair of touchdowns and no interceptions, leading the 49ers to a 32-7 victory over the Chicago Bears, the NFC powerhouse. The next week, Smith was cleared to play, but head coach Jim Harbaugh elected to give his star player more rest before rushing him back to the field. Kaepernick seized the opportunity — he recorded a passing and rushing touchdown in place of Smith and carried San Francisco to a 31-21 victory over the New Orleans Saints.

Then, something unfathomable happened. Harbaugh, riding high on the team’s success, benched Smith, who was 19-5-1 as a starter in the last two years. Sports commentators and fans were left scratching their heads.

At a time when connoisseurs and amateurs alike contested the decision, Harbaugh insisted that he made the right call. He saw in Kaepernick a young, dynamic and two-pronged quarterback, equally strong in the rushing game as in the traditional passing game. Harbaugh did what he has always been known to do, what he was hired to do: take a risk.

Kaepernick’s image blinded us from his talent, and we were all too captivated to look beyond it. We laughed at his 115-pound tortoise and ridiculed his post-game interviews. We agreed with media outlets who labeled him “an inmate.” We all scowled at the idea that one of the league’s most clean-cut and well-spoken quarterbacks, Smith could be replaced by, essentially, a “human canvas.”

Only Kaepernick knew the true story. Only he knew how difficult it is to grow up an orphan. Only he knew what it was like to pass up an MLB Draft selection so that he could pursue his true passion in the NFL. Only he knew about the letter he wrote to himself in the fourth grade, in which he promised his future self that he would be 6 feet 4 inches tall and be the quarterback for the Niners. We can see now that both of these have come true. He did not blast the media as we expected him to, and he did not let his temper get the best of him, as many expected. Colin Kaepernick just kept his head down, absorbed it all and won some football games.

This Sunday, Kaepernick has the chance to win one more game: the Super Bowl against the Baltimore Ravens. The game will certainly be the biggest of his career. He will fly mostly under the radar, distant from the spotlight focused solely on Raven’s linebacker Ray Lewis. On Sunday, I imagine he will be thinking about the tattoo on his right arm. In fact, after I have started to understand Kaepernick, I imagine he thinks of it quite often. It reads, “Carpe Diem.” Seize the day.

A version of this article appeared in the Jan. 28 print edition. Mary Jane Dumankaya is sports editor. Email her at sports@nyunews.com. 

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next