Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 11:20 am est

Developing: Cooper Union Protest

Posted on December 4, 2012 | by Tony Chau

UPDATE: Dec. 10, 9:45 p.m.

Exactly a week after 11 Cooper Union students and 1 New School Free Press reporter barricaded themselves inside the Peter Cooper Suite atop the Cooper Union Foundation Building, the occupiers peacefully — on their own free will — exited the suite at noon today.

According to occupier Joe Riley, they decided to leave given the support they were receiving on the ground.

“We realize all these things were going on and it was time for us to come down and start plugging into that,” Riley said.

Despite the exit, Riley argues that it was a successful maneuver.

“The lock-in was very catalytic,” he said. “We felt the lock-in was aimed and designed to be a catalyst for building this community around this issue and building up and gaining a lot of attention.”

As far as what’s next, Riley suggests that the future is in the hands of the people who care most about the school – people that do not include the administration, he argues.

“The administration doesn’t really care or hasn’t shown that it cares. It’s not representing its constituents at all.”

UPDATE: Dec. 6, 11:40 p.m.

The Free Cooper Union protest was a lot quieter Thursday, as protestors used the fourth day to recuperate from the energies expended over the course of the week.

“Today we’re pretty much just getting everyone together as a student body, getting everyone on the same page. We’re just kind of recuperating because everyone’s been doing a lot,” said protestor Diana Lozano, a senior in the Cooper Union School of Art.

On top of protesting, Lozano pointed out that the demonstrators are also in the middle of finals week.

“Students have been working non stop — not getting any sleep,” Lozano said. “It’s been pretty hard but we’re all working together because we really care about tuition. We’re finding a way to balance everything,” she added.

The protestors also used the day to plan major demonstrations over the weekend.

According to the group’s Facebook page, the protest will reconvene on Friday at noon with a student walkout in front of the foundation building, followed by a dance party and alumni rally and celebration at 5:30 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. respectively.

Stay tuned for more updates.

UPDATE: Dec. 5, 4:32 p.m. A document posted to MediaFire articulated the three main goals of the Cooper Union protest: demanding increased transparency from administrators, reaffirming Cooper Union’s commitment to free education, and forcing current Cooper Union President Jamsched Barucha to step down.

The document also provided mathematical models that illustrate the effect of the tuition hike on future Cooper Union students.

The authors created different models of tuition changes based on four scenarios based on whether tuition is locked or if the discount rate is locked. Currently, Cooper Union has a 40,000 dollar tuition with 100 percent discount for all students.

In all scenarios, the authors concluded that annual inflation would lead to increased tuition for each incoming class.

The document also includes press releases dating from Monday and Tuesday, asking the public to join them at Cooper Square, as well as articles from news sources that lend support to or document the protest.

Click here to view the full document.

UPDATE: Dec. 5, 4:23 p.m. The movement is now gaining traction with colleges from as close as down the block to as far as across the country.

Students at The New School, based less than a mile away from Cooper Union, said they empathize with what the protestors at Cooper Union are going through.

“At the New School, we are by now very familiar with tuition increases to fund enormous new development, a lack of financial transparency, and the barring of student participation in decision making,” a statement from The New School Reoccupied – a movement within The New School – said. “It is absolutely necessary, in all schools, that we directly participate in the discussion of budgets and projects through action.”

Nearly 3,000 miles away, members of the UC Student Workers Union at UCLA voiced a similar sentiment.

“We want to express our outrage at Cooper Union Administration’s decision to start charging students tuition,” a statement said. “We condemn the dismantling of Cooper Union and this move to privatization for the ways it decreases accessibility for many students, and we stand in solidarity with the occupiers as they fight this oppressive policy.”

UPDATE: Dec. 5, 3:15 p.m. Now in its third day of protest, the Free Cooper Union movement has drawn support from the Paul Robeson Freedom School, a free education program designed to teach the youth how to engage in social activism and organize campaign events.

Following the balloon precedent set yesterday, in which supporters of the protest sent boxes of pizza up to the barricaded protestors by attaching them to three lines and helium balloons, Justin Wedes of the Robeson Freedom School began sending notes and messages up to the occupiers via balloon shortly after noon today.

According to Wedes, the activity grew popular and 150 balloons were eventually sent up.

“Each message was a show of support for what they’re doing in their demands for free education,” Wedes said. “This is the last stand for free education. Education is a human right and should be accessible for everyone.”

In another demonstration, the protestors stretched a long role of saran wrap around 41 Cooper Square – the architecturally innovative building added to the campus in 2009 – to demonstrate their goal of transparency and efficient communication between the administration and students.

“Whether or not it can change decision making I think it’s important that everyone is in the loop because secrets have been the biggest problem in this whole thing in the past year,” said Alex Gross, a third year art student at Cooper Union who helped hold the saran wrap up. “The lack of communication and when the administration seems to talk to us it seems to be more about political pleasing and sugar coating than anything.”

Protestors hold saran wrap around 41 Cooper Square to show their demands for transparency.

Additional reporting by Emily Bell. Stay tuned for more updates.

UPDATE: 9:07 p.m. In a statement, the Cooper Union said the deans and the faculty of the degree-granting schools will be presenting plans to keep the university financially sustainable. The proposals will be reviewed by the Board of Trustees with a decision slated for early 2013.

Audrey Snyder, a spokesperson for the occupying students, said she was not satisfied with the university’s response, claiming that the only contact the administration has made has been regarding the safety of the students — if they have an easy way to exit in case of emergency.

“They haven’t directly talked to the students or addressed the situation upstairs other than to make sure everyone’s safe,” Snyder said. “It’s skirting around the issue is what it really is.”

Earlier in the afternoon, the Bruce High Quality Foundation attached boxes of pizza to three lines and helium balloons to carry the pizza up to the barricaded protestors.

“They got their pizza. I think it was probably a little bit cold but they got it,” Snyder said.

According to Snyder, the occupying protestors have enough food inside the barricaded room to sustain themselves for weeks.

Stay tuned to WSN’s coverage of the protest for more updates.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next