Step 4: Transportation

Living in the New York City Metro area means that you most likely will rely on Public Transportation.  Students can travel to NYU in a variety of ways, but most often by bus or train.

New York City

There are numerous travel options in New York City whether your commuting from Manhattan, Long Island, Westchester County or the Boroughs of NY.  Unfortunately there are no discounts for students, although you can usually save money by purchasing a monthly pass.

MTA Subway | MTA Buses | MetroNorth | Long Island Railroad

New Jersey

Public Transportation options are available in a variety of ways between New Jersey and New York City — with New Jersey Transit offering both trains and buses,  private bus lines, the PATH train, and ferries.

Discount Travel

New Jersey Transit is the only public transportation system in the metro area that offers a student discount.The discount is available tostudents who are Enrolled-Full-Time (as verified through Albert under the Academic Load field) a 25% discount for bus, rail, or light rail monthly passes. This is an auto-subscription program, each month you will get a new pass unless you cancel or suspend your account. There is a $3 processing fee each month for the program.

To access the NJ Transit discount portal, registered, full-time studentswill see the NJ Transit Card under the NYU Life tab or by using the search option in NYU Home. Note that the card would only be viewable late August for Fall, early January for Spring, and late May for summer.

NJ Transit Discount for Military Personnel and Their Dependents:All military personnel and their dependents will be permitted to purchase transportation at the senior citizen/passengers with disabilities reduced fare rate upon showing their military or military dependent ID card. The following military personnel are entitled to this fare: Active Duty, Reserve, National Guard or Retired for Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard.

Visit the New Jersey Transit websitefor more information on the Student Discount Program or call Customer Service at (800) 772-2287.

NJT Trains | NJT Buses | PATH Train | Ferry Service

Bike Share Program

NYU Offers a free bike sharing program. Read more»

Click for Step 5: Apartment Needs and Wants