WHENSMOKECLEARS brings ‘Uptown Couture’ to the runway

WHENSMOKECLEARS exemplifies New York City fashion at Spring/Summer 2024 New York Fashion Week.
A model wearing a baggy, red V-neck overshirt with two purple stripes on each sleeve and a purple letter W on the center walks on a runway. The model is wearing a long-sleeved purple shirt under the overshirt, and baggy, red leather-like pants. The model wears two stud earrings, and black shoes.
(Manasa Gudavalli for WSN)
A model wearing a gray sweatshirt with a darker gray tank-top over only her chest with white text on it, and denim capris walks on a runway. The model wears big, gold-colored hoop earrings, a brown almost-choker necklace, and brown-and-gray lace-up boots.
(Manasa Gudavalli for WSN)
A model wearing a black, seemingly leather, crop top, closed in the front by two buttons, walks on a runway. The model wears a white beanie and baggy, purple pans with big pockets on both legs. The model’s boxers are slightly visible above the pants. The model wears small, gold-colored hoop earrings, and brown lace-up boots.
(Manasa Gudavalli for WSN)

WHENSMOKECLEARS debuted its Spring/Summer 2024 collection in Spring Studios on Sept. 13, bringing genderless ready-to-wear designs to the runway. The founders, Thermal and K$ace, define their brand as “Uptown Couture,” emulating their New York City roots as Harlem and the Bronx natives.

Rumbling sounds mimicking subway noises and iconic Metropolitan Transit Authority announcements like “stand clear of the closing doors, please” and “next stop is Canal Street” echoed throughout the show, setting the New York City subway scene as its backdrop.

A model wearing a black, leather-like button-up jacket with only the top button closed walks on a runway. The model is wearing short pink shorts, and the model’s boxers are slightly visible above the shorts. The model is wearing black socks and black lace-up boots, and holds a rectangular case by the handle on top.
(Manasa Gudavalli for WSN)
A model wearing a hooded, white tank top with the hood up that stops above the model’s belly button walks on a runway. The model is wearing low-cut short-shorts and brown lace-up boots. The model’s boxers are slightly visible above the shorts.
(Manasa Gudavalli for WSN)
A model wearing a long-sleeve purple shirt and a rolled-up lighter-purple tank top with shoulder pads, which sits diagonally on the model’s chest, walks on a runway. The model is wearing red leather-like pants, and has a bag hanging off one shoulder. The model’s boxers are slightly visible above the pants. The model is wearing brown lace-up boots.
(Manasa Gudavalli for WSN)

WHENSMOKECLEARS emerged into the fashion scene in 2016, born from the ashes of a fire that nearly consumed their inaugural collection within their New York apartment. 

“My favorite thing about this brand is that it’s about community,” content creator and long-time friend of the brand Ziggy Mack Johnson said. “And so when I think of WHENSMOKECLEARS, I think a brotherhood and I think of New York.”

A model wearing a white shirt with two straps on each side of the model’s chest, with a purple shirt underneath, turns to the right on a runway. The model wears baggy purple pants with a large pocket on each leg, and brown lace-up boots. The model wears a pink head covering, and holds both hands in the pants’ pockets.
(Manasa Gudavalli for WSN)
A model wearing a white shirt under a pale yellow, unbuttoned blouse with the sleeves rolled up walks on a runway. The model’s left hand is slightly in the pocket of the matching yellow pants. The model’s boxers are slightly visible above the pants. The model wears a silver necklace with a circle and a shorter silver necklace with a stud-like charm, and brown lace-up boots. The model looks to the right.
(Manasa Gudavalli for WSN)
A model wearing a green, flowy tank top, white undershirt, and black pants turns toward the right while walking on a runway. The model wears a blue baseball cap, a headset, and brown lace-up boots. Over the model’s shoulder is a bag with four C.Ds visible.
(Manasa Gudavalli for WSN)

Their brand designs a diverse range of products spanning apparel, jewelry, accessories, and footwear, all conforming to a streetwear aesthetic. None of the items were particularly groundbreaking, but they were wearable and approachable luxury streetwear.

A model wearing a floor-length, denim button-up overcoat with only the top two buttons closed and jeans with the fly unbuttoned walks on a runway. The model is pregnant, with the open coat revealing a pregnant stomach. The model wears brown lace-up boots, with thumbs hooked in the pants’ pockets.
Jada-Renee Bland. (Manasa Gudavalli for WSN)

The SS24 design builds on the brand’s former collections with revamped cuts and an entertaining mix of fabrics. The collection’s final look — and notably the audience’s favorite — was a denim cape dress that showcased a proud display of a baby bump on model Jada-Renee Bland, who is the partner to Thermal.

“I’m just really proud as there’s always growth and progression with every new collection, every new season,” Bland said. “The way that they build an ongoing story, it’s never just one singular moment. If you look at last year, and this year, you’ll see a connection there.”

Contact Manasa Gudavalli at [email protected].