Friday, Apr 18, 2014 09:08 am est

Transform your dorm to feel more like a home

Posted on August 25, 2012 | by Nicola Pring

Moving away from home and into a dorm room for the first time can be daunting. You’ve just packed your bags and traded in home-cooked meals, childhood belongings and the comfort of your own room for a small space with blank walls and a brand new roommate. But there’s no need to panic. Here are a few tips to make your new home away from home feel a little more like the real thing.

Go shopping

Though it may seem like a waste of time and money to decorate a temporary space, transforming your dorm into a comfortable environment is an important factor in creating a positive college experience. Line your walls with pictures of friends and family, magazine cut-outs, posters, maps or small paintings. Be sure to check out the annual Back to School Poster Sale at the Kimmel Center for University Life, beginning on Sept. 13.

Leave it at home

Though NYU residence halls boast larger rooms than many other schools, space is still limited. Bring only what you need to make you comfortable and leave the rest at home — too many extra belongings will make your room seem smaller. If you need extra room for storage, place bed raisers underneath your bed to maximize your space.

Light it up

Most dorm rooms have one florescent, overhead light and smaller lights attached to each desk. Add ambient lighting to your room to make the environment homier. Consider purchasing a standing lamp or an additional desk lamp, or hang rope lights on the walls or around the windows.

Have a seat

Though you will not be able to bring chairs or couches into your room, you can add extra seating to make the space more inviting. Buy a beanbag chair or several floor cushions so your friends have a place to sit when they come to visit.

Sleep well

Dorm mattresses are uncomfortable. Make your bed a place you can relax by adding a mattress pad or memory foam. Some mattress pads can be pricey — look for sales at stores like Target and Walmart and on websites like overstock.com. Bring your old comforter or blanket to put on your bed — the familiar furnishing will remind you of home.

Shops sales

You don’t have to break the bank to make your room look great. Many big-box chain stores offer discounts on dorm and back-to-school essentials like sheets, towels and school supplies. Be sure to stop at Bed Bath & Beyond on 6th Avenue in Chelsea on Aug. 26 for the store’s 9th Annual Shopping Event. From 10 a.m. until midnight, free shuttles will take students and parents from NYU residence halls to Bed Bath & Beyond, where students will receive a 10 percent discount on their entire purchase.

A version of this story appeared in the Aug. 26 print edition. Nicola Pring is features editor. Email her at npring@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
Tatiana Baez

Assistant Managing Editor | A CAS junior, Tatiana is studying journalism, environmental science and politics. She’s a bomb editor, as well as the staff’s main source of entertainment because she sings along to every song after 12 a.m. She also writes about culture, science, technology and sex, and her work has been featured in VICE, Motherboard, Elite Daily, amNewYork and others. She enjoys eating Thai food, reading fiction and binge-watching Netflix.

And in case you were wondering how great she really is — “I just can’t get enough of Tatiana” is a direct quote from her EIC at WSN only moments ago.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next