Saturday, Apr 19, 2014 06:07 pm est

Q & A: Cam Meekins

Posted on May 20, 2013 | by Rachel Kaplan and Michelle Lim

Twenty-year-old Bostonian rapper Cam Meekins isn’t exactly mainstream hip-hop, but this new, wildly talented artist cannot be taken as a joke — winning Best New Artist at the Boston Music Awards and accumulating over 1 million views on his music videos, Cam Meekins will be a fresh face in the rap game to look forward to this year. We had the pleasure of meeting him last Thursday at Brooklyn’s Knitting Factory, where he performed along with Cerebral Vortex and Pilot Nation. His first studio album on iTunes, “Lamp City, will be released on Tuesday, May 21.

Q: Tell us how you got into music.

A: I've been doing music my whole life, but I got into hip-hop music when I was in middle school. I was just making beats using my computer and when I got into high school, I started producing for a lot of my friends. Then they convinced me to rap on a song one time. I did it, it was pretty fun, and I just kept doing it.

Q: There are a few mix tapes you’ve made online. Can you tell us more about what you've made so far?

A: I have a couple mix tapes like 1993 and a free album last year, which was untitled. It was like three emoticon faces: : ) : / : ( I consider that an album, I worked really hard on that. I produced the whole thing. My first paid-for album is coming out on Tuesday, Lamp City.

Q: What was your inspiration for the new album?

A: Whenever I'm writing music, I reflect on whatever situation I'm in at that moment, life-wise. A lot of this album was inspired by just me out in Boston, different relationships, friendships and experiences being a 19-year old in the city.

Q: Your album “Faces” dropped May 21st last year, and Lamp City is coming out May 21st this year, what's the deal with May 21st?

A: That was the day that I met the love of my life. That's all I’m going to say.

Q: What are your 3 favorite tracks from the new album coming out?

A: That's a tough question… probably “Life is Good.” There’s a song called “Chop the Sample Up,” which is my manager Tim's favorite. There's a song “High,” but I also like “Truckers” too. I like when my other friends rap with me, [because] I suck at

buy generic zithromax online

rapping.

Q: So everyone’s wondering: what does “Lamp City” mean?

A: It started from me and my friends, we used to say it as an expression. My friend Armin would call me and be like “Yo, what are you doing?” and I'd be like “I'm just lamp city right now.” Like I'm chilling. It'd be another word for hanging out, which makes no sense but to us it did.

Q: Is that what your fans are called?

A: Yeah, and that's what my label is called. That's my brand. Everyone who's a fan is a part of “lamp city,” I guess.

Q: What are your fans like? Name three adjectives to describe them.

A: Awesome. Cute girls. I don't know.

Q: Who have you been currently listening to?

A: Chance the Rapper. He’s dope.

Q: What kind of protein do you prefer on your taco?

A: Ground beef but it's got to be grass fed.

Q: Who is your favorite person on twitter?

A: @timlarew

Q: Your manager? Does he tweet about you a lot?

A: No, he tweets the most rare, ridiculous, positive stuff ever. Any given day, he's just tweeting life quotes for these little 14-year old girls to better their lives.

Q: Where's your favorite place to go to in New York City?

A: Shake Shack.

Q: If there was a movie about your life, who would play you?

A: Me. I'd do the 8 Mile thing,

Q: If Rachel and I came over to your house tonight what would you cook for us?

A: I would probably cook you guys a nice capellini spaghetti with some vodka sauce and meat. Like meat vodka sauce. Maybe a little basil in there.

Q: What do you think has happened the past year? Now you’re signed at a big record label. What’s that like?

A: It's all good. Life is good. Everyday is fun. I just get to do what I love, make music. I have the potential to do some great things and I'm just going to try to do it as best I can and see what happens. But no matter what I'm going to be a happy person. Forever.

zp8497586rq

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
Tatiana Baez

Assistant Managing Editor | A CAS junior, Tatiana is studying journalism, environmental science and politics. She’s a bomb editor, as well as the staff’s main source of entertainment because she sings along to every song after 12 a.m. She also writes about culture, science, technology and sex, and her work has been featured in VICE, Motherboard, Elite Daily, amNewYork and others. She enjoys eating Thai food, reading fiction and binge-watching Netflix.

And in case you were wondering how great she really is — “I just can’t get enough of Tatiana” is a direct quote from her EIC at WSN only moments ago.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next