What to do this week: Valentine’s Day celebrations, Black History Month performances and more

The Daybook is WSN’s weekly column listing in-person and online events at NYU and across New York City. This week: Feb. 12 – 18.

Monday

A lovely Lunar New Year gala

Kimmel Center for University Life, Eisner & Lubin Auditorium (on campus)

6 p.m.

Grab some friends and head over to the Chinese Student Society’s Lunar New Year Gala for an exciting celebration. The event, which will be hosted alongside 10 other cultural clubs at NYU,  will celebrate the Year of the Dragon with performances, delicious food and even a raffle with prizes. Register online to save your spot at this event.

Experience the longest-running dance film festival in the world at Lincoln Center. This four-day festival organized by the nonprofit Dance On Camera, will showcase 36 films from around the globe, including over 25 movie premieres. On Monday night, watch “Obsessed with Light,” the story of a woman who was able to use technological innovations with lighting and overcome hardships in her field to become a successful dancer. Participants will also have the opportunity to attend a Q&A with filmmakers after the screenings. Tickets are $17 for the general public and $14 for students.

Tuesday

Laugh out loud at a comedian Q&A

Kimmel Center for University Life, room 802 (on campus)

5 p.m.

Converse with comedian Katrina Davis, deemed a “Comedian You Should and Will Know” by Vulture. In a discussion moderated by Liberal Studies faculty, Davis will discuss her influences, challenges and career path in the entertainment industry. Davis’ work and features vary from art history podcasts to Comedy Central skits, and her 2022 debut special “Figuring It Out” was featured in NPR’s End of Year Stand-Up Comedy Spectacular. This event is free and open to the NYU community, registration is required.

Wednesday

Get into the Valentine’s Day spirit by creating heartfelt arts and crafts. While you make gifts such as friendship bracelets and cards, you’ll also get to watch a romcom in the background. NYU’s Student Technology Center will provide all the materials necessary for this event. Don’t miss out on this free activity by registering in advance on NYU Engage. 

Watch the 1962 romantic drama “Days of Wine and Roses,” come to life as a musical at this performance. Featuring music from acclaimed composer Adam Guettel, this musical will follow the life of a couple falling in love in 1950s New York. The performance will mark the premiere of the musical by “Dear Evan Hansen” director Michael Greif, with The Washington Post calling it “one of the best new musicals this year.” Tickets are available on NYUHome and can be picked up in person at the NYU Box Office starting at $57.

Thursday

Listen to author Shahd Alshammari read part of her book, “Head Above Water: Reflections on Illness,” one of the first disability memoirs to come from the Gulf Region. Her work explores how “disability, displacement and belonging” has played a role in her life. After the reading, attendees will have the chance to engage in a discussion on illness and disability narratives in literature with Alshammari. The event is free and open to the public, with Zoom registration available online.

8 p.m.

Listen to the NYU Orchestra for its first concert of the spring semester. This performance will celebrate Black History Month and feature music from iconic Black artists such as Nina Simone, Samuel Coleridge-Taylor and Timothy Adams. Free tickets are also available at the door or at the NYU Box Office.

Friday

Prioritize your health and well-being with a visit to Sol de Janeiro’s pop-up shop. Discover the brand’s body butter and try on the new “Cheirosa 59 Perfume Mist,” featuring notes of sandalwood and vanilla orchid. The shop will also have photo opportunities and free samples for attendees to take home. The pop-up shop will be open until Feb. 25.

An interactive artistic experience

Skirball Center for the Performing Arts (on campus)

7:30 p.m.

Immerse in Brazilian artist Wagner Schwartz’s interactive solo performance featuring a metal sculpture of a beast, with a series of geometric shapes connected with hinges, created by Lygia Clark. Schwartz will begin the performance by experimenting with the form of a plastic replica of the sculpture and then invite the audience to do the same, but with his own naked body. Schwartz faced backlash following his performance at the Museum of Modern Art in Brazil, when a video of a child being involved in the artist’s performance circulated online. General admission tickets for the performance are $25.

Saturday

Honoring a German choreographer’s dance legacy

7:30 p.m.

Watch seven dancers pay tribute to the renowned German choreographer Raimund Hoghe, who passed away in 2021. The dancers, from the Raimund Hoghe Company, will bring to life selected fragments from Hoghe’s repertoire. In 2020, Hoghe received the prestigious German Dance Award. Tickets to the performance are $25 for general admission and $18 for students.

7:30 p.m.

Ring in the Lunar New Year with an evening filled with original comedy sketches that highlight Lunar New Year traditions, accompanied by music and performances by special guests. The comedy will be performed by Model Majority, an Asian American sketch comedy group founded by NYU alum Veronica Dang. Enjoy an evening filled with original comedy sketches that highlight Lunar New Year traditions, accompanied by music and performances by special guests.   Members of the NYU community can get 50% off the $42 general admission ticket by using the code “luckydragon.” Dress up in your best red or gold outfit and spend an evening laughing into the new year.

Sunday

Spend your Sunday morning listening to classical and contemporary music by violist Edwin Kaplan and cellist Titilayo Ayangade. The performance is part of GatherNYC, a concert series with events throughout the year at the Museum of Arts and Design. Enjoy the music, complimentary coffee and pastries at this one-hour performance. Tickets to the museum are $14 for students and $20 for the general public and tickets to the concert are $30.

An evening of contemporary piano music

82 Washington Square East

8 p.m.

Listen to pianists from NYU Steinhardt perform at the annual Tutte le Corde festival. Seven pianists will perform contemporary pieces by seven composers in the Concert Composition program, which offers a space for composers to explore and create music across various mediums. The concert is free and open to students and faculty.

Contact Maisie Zipfel at [email protected].