Women’s Fencing Starts Off Their Season Strong

A recap of action within NYU athletics from the past week
Yuji Cusick was NYU’s top finisher at the Monmouth Invitational on Oct. 19. (Photo by Sam Klein)

Women’s Fencing

The women’s fencing team started its season off strong with two fencers qualifying as top-10 finishes at the Temple University Open on Oct. 27.

CAS first-year Sarah Prilutsky, in her first collegiate competition, placed fifth out of 65 fencers in foil. Prilutsky won all of her first- and second-round bouts, and defeated two opponents in the direct elimination rounds before falling in the round of eight. In addition, Gallatin senior Jackie Tubbs tied for 10th place in Sabre. Tubbs advanced to the direct elimination rounds before falling in the round of 16. Other notable finishers included CAS junior Audrey Edgington (13th place in Sabre) and CAS junior Lily Gabay, who finished first in her foil consolation bracket after losing in the first round.

A few members from the fencing team will represent NYU at the North American Cup on Nov. 9 while the whole team will be back in action on Nov. 13 when NYU hosts Columbia University at the Kimmel Center for University in St. Louis.

Women’s Soccer

Women’s soccer upped their win streak to nine after going 2-0 on the week but could not ride the momentum to a 10th straight win as it lost to UAA rival and the top-ranked DIII team in the nation Washington University in St. Louis.

The Violets shut out John Jay College 5-0 on Oct. 22 as five different players scored for NYU. CAS senior Maddie Peña, LS sophomore Julia Raith and CAS junior Jade Keane scored one goal apiece in the first half while Stern junior Isabelle Turner and Tisch sophomore Lila Keltz scored the final two goals in the second half. Stern sophomore Meghan Marhan and Stern senior Michaela Brickley split time as goalie, posting NYU’s eighth shutout of the season.

The win streak and shutout streak continued when the Violets defeated UAA rival University of Chicago 1-0 on Oct. 26. This was the first time they defeated Chicago since 2002. Peña scored the only goal of the game off of an assist from CAS first-year Ellie Marks in the fourth minute of the game. Marhan continued her pristine defense, stopping all 11 of Chicago’s shots on goal.

Riding a hot streak, the Violets sought their 10th straight win on Oct. 28 when they faced the undefeated WashU Bears, but came up short after getting shut out 0-2. 

The Violets will look to bounce back from the disappointing loss when they host UAA rival Brandeis University in their regular season finale on Nov. 3.

Men’s Soccer

Men’s soccer failed to get in the win column after going 0-1-1 on the week against two UAA opponents.

The Violets could not find the back of the net on Oct. 26 against UAA rival and fifth-ranked University of Chicago when they were shutout 0-1. CAS senior and goalkeeper Grant Engel had six saves on the game. Chicago out-shot NYU 19-6.

NYU played better on the offensive end on Oct. 28 when it tied with UAA rival WashingtonU 1-1. 

The Violets will look to end the regular season with a win in their regular season finale on Nov. 3 when they host Brandeis University.

Women’s Volleyball

Women’s volleyball had a jam-packed two days from Oct. 26 to 27, when it played four games at the NY Region Challenge, going 2-2 overall.

On day one, the Violets dropped their first match against Fredonia College in four sets (25-23, 24-26, 25-27, 19-25). The Violets bounced back in the second match of the day against Nazareth College in four sets (19-25, 25-20, 25-22, 25-21).

To start day two, the Violets fell behind early in the first game of the day against Rochester Institute of Technology, losing the match in four sets (22-25, 21-25, 26-24, 19-25). Kupeli led the team in digs with 21 and CAS senior Daryl Mitchell led the team with 16 assists. The Violets flipped the script in the second match of the day, convincingly defeating Buffalo State College in three straight sets (25-12, 25-12, 25-11).

The Violets return to the court on Nov. 3 at the UAA Championship in Rochester.

Men’s and Women’s Cross Country

Men’s and women’s cross country finished with a sixth-place and eight-place finish, respectively, at the UAA Championship on Oct. 28.

The men totaled 151 points on the day over the 8K course, securing them a sixth-place finish. NYU had a trio of Bens as its top three finishers. GLS junior Ben Karam was the first Violet to cross the finish line at 21st place, followed by Tisch senior Ben Haderle at 31st place and Tisch junior Benjamin Heintz at 32nd place. Two more runners scored for NYU: CAS sophomore Dillan Spector (37th place) and CAS sophomore Jonathan Sussman (43rd place).

The women finished the day with 248 points over the 6K course, placing them last in the eight-team competition. Gallatin first-year Valentina House was NYU’s top performer, finishing in 41st place. She was followed by CAS junior Isabella Steains (62nd place), CAS first-year Athina Zodl (71st), Stern senior Karen Yao (72nd place) and Stern first-year Ashley Storino (75th place). Seventy-nine runners competed in the course.

The cross country team will return to action in the Eastern College Athletic Conference Championship on Nov. 3.

Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving

Two NYU divers, one each from the men’s and women’s teams, were named UAA Athletes of the Week on Oct. 22. Nursing first-year Cole Vertin for the men’s team and CAS junior Carmen White garnered the honors after their performances at the meet against Rowan University on Oct. 20. Vertin won the three-meter diver with 340.81 points and placed third in the one-meter dive with 292.27 points. He was responsible for 12 of NYU’s 177 total points in the meet. White won both the one- and three-meter dive, with 312.75 and 300.98 points, respectively. She contributed 18 points to NYU’s 181 total points. This is White’s 13th career honor and Vertin’s second.  

A version of this article appeared in the October 29 print edition. Email Zach Han at [email protected]