There’s No Place Like Home

Under the Arch

There’s No Place Like Home

From family heirlooms to Barbara Streisand posters, this is how students and faculty decorate their space.

Wearing a white tank top and striped purple pants, Lily Candelaria looks at her stuffed elephant Arnie with a smiling expression. Lily is in an Alumni Hall dorm room.
Lily Candelaria has three plants on her windowsill. A yellow plant pot is the centerpiece. A small, white, human-shaped planter holds a tiny air plant.
Lily Candelaria's windowsill features many decorative pieces, including an aroma diffuser, pink-and-blue stuffed octopuses, three plants and a small clock.
Lily Candelaria's dorm room has her bed on the left side with yellow accents and decorative pillows on top. The wall above the bed features two decorative posters and a string of Polaroid photos of Lily’s friends and family. Lily’s windowsill has many decorative pieces sitting on it.
Daniela Marcano, dressed in a neon-green top and black pants, leans against a white wall. To her camera left is a hallway leading to her bedroom and a TV screen.
An L-shaped brown couch and a circular coffee table are positioned in the living room of Daniela Marcano’s home
Daniela Marcano’s bedroom. From the camera left to right is a lamp, a window with white shades, a king-sized bed covered in brown blankets and yellow pillows, a mirror, a white nightstand and an orange decorative fixture.
On top of Natalie Choi’s bedroom shelving is a blue planter with a small plant, a LGBTQ+ pride flag, a photo of Natalie and her friend, a small sign that reads “She Persisted” and a tree-like jewelry holder.
Lizzie England's desk is the centerpiece, with a large flag with an image of a bouqet hanging on the wall. Lizzie’s desk has many decor pieces. There is also a floor lamp on the left side of the desk.
On top of a window sill is a pot of cacti, a frame with the quote "It's going to be okay," stuffed animals and other figurines.
The interior of Lizzie England's dorm room at Clark Hall. Next to a window is Lizzie's bed, a poster of the movie “Good Will Hunting” and various collages of pictures. On Lizzie's bed lie various pillows and stuffed animals.
Natalie Choi looks at the camera while sitting down and playing her piano. Natalie has a smiling expression. Natalie is wearing a rust-colored blouse.
Wearing a white dress shirt and blue checkered vest, Lizzie England poses for the camera while sitting on her bed. Behind the bed is a collage of posters and images.
Natalie Choi’s bedroom has a large shelf with many pieces of decor including plants, a photo with her friend, a pride flag, books and a record player.
Wearing a sleeveless purple sweater, Khym Valenzuela looks at the camera with a smiling expression in his Gramercy dorm room. His left arm is resting on the top of his dresser. On the dresser, sits a green Lego plant. Khym is standing in front of his wall that has multi-colored pantone swatches.
Khym Valenzuela’s wall above his bed has many multi-colored pantone swatches. Surrounding the swatches are miscellaneous posters of varying sizes.
John Moran and Kenneth French’s kitchen in Lipton Hall features many plants on a white counter with views of the Empire State Building through the window. The walls feature numerous art pieces.
A to-scale, green Lego plant that Khym Valenzuela built sits atop of his dresser.
The corner of John Moran and Kenneth French’s living room features a gray sitting chair with four pillows next to an ornate floor lamp and a small TV. The walls feature various pieces of artwork.
The outside of Adora Dayani's apartment door features a mezuzah.
Adora Dayani in a pink-and-yellow patterned dress sits on a gray couch accompanied by yellow pillows.
On Adora Dayani’s blue shelves are albums, books and paintings.
Adora Dayani is in a pink-and-yellow patterned dress and looks at a painting with a purple background and black paint stroke.
Pictured from left to right are Catherine Desciak, Daisy Brookman and Sophia Wang sitting on Catherine’s bed in their Rubin dorm room. Catherine is wearing a purple t-shirt with dark blue jeans. Daisy is wearing a white t-shirt, black sweater and washed blue jeans. Sophia is wearing a dark blue collared dress. They are all looking at the camera with pleasant expressions.
Sophia Wang looks at the camera with a pleasant expression. Sophia is wearing a dark blue collared dress and is holding a circular transparent object adorned with designs containing fish and flowers.
Catherine Desciak, Daisy Brookman and Sophia Wang’s dorm room has three twin beds with accompanying dressers and desks. The room is well decorated with various posters on the walls and small decor items throughout.
Catherine Desciak smiles as she points towards the wall of posters above her bed. Catherine is wearing a purple t-shirt with dark blue jeans.
On top a shelf lies an assortment of books related to play, theater and arts. Among them are Shakespearean plays.
Ryan Wasserman, a Tisch student majoring in theater, poses for the camera on a fire escape wearing a blue t-shirt.
Daisy Brookman pleasantly looks at a figurine of three small houses. Daisy is wearing a white t-shirt, black sweater and washed blue jeans.
On top a shelf are contemporary Jewish art, a prayer book and an illustrated biography of actor-singer Barbra Streisand.

Photography by Joshua Plutchik, Augustin Langlet, Sheridan Smith, Alison Yang and Sam Tu.

Instagram   ·   Twitter   ·   Facebook

Subscribe to WSN

Developed for web by Megan Kim