Edward Franco

Edward Franco, Video Director

Edward Franco is a sophomore majoring in journalism and social and cultural analysis at CAS and minoring in documentary and producing at Tisch. He is proud to be a Colombian American originally from the magic city: Miami, Florida. Edward is interning at NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt this fall and had interned with CBS News 6 Orlando over the summer. Previously a staff videographer at WSN, Edward loves to capture news stories through the camera with his experience as a student news reporter and multimedia journalist. His reporting interests include politics, transportation and entertainment. You can follow him on Instagram @EdwardFranco.TV or email him at [email protected].

All content by Edward Franco
People protesting affirmative action in college admissions gather in front of the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington, D.C., on Oct. 30. (Edward Franco for WSN)

Photo: Summer recap: What you missed at NYU over the last few months

A crowd of protestors gathered in front of the U.S. Supreme Court. They are holding copies of the same poster, all of which have the text “DISCRIMINATION IN THE NAME OF DIVERSITY IS WRONG.”

Photo: What the Supreme Court’s impending affirmative action decision means for NYU

November 2, 2022

An illustration of a megaphone with a red handle. Written in orange on the megaphone are the words “Staff Rants.”

Staff Rants: Midterms and midterms

It’s the middle of the term! The WSN staff offers our thoughts on our exam-packed weeks and the ongoing congressional election season.

On unoriginality: It’s really unoriginal of NYU to hold midterm exams during the midterm elections. As an academic institution that discourages plagiarism, it shouldn’t steal...

Video: NYU greets Little Amal

Little Amal, a puppet of a 10-year-old Syrian refugee, visited NYU on Sept. 28.
Aria Young and Alisha Goel October 23, 2022

Little Amal, a 10-year-old Syrian refugee, walked around New York City. With her new friend, Little Amal walked through the streets of the East Village to Washington Square Park...

Video: The World Trade Center Man: 21 years after 9/11

Harry John Roland, known as the World Trade Center Man, reflects on the Sept. 11 attacks and the impact the day has had on his life.
Edward Franco, Video Director September 11, 2022

Sept. 11 marks 21 years after the 9/11 attacks in New York City, Washington, D.C. and a field in Pennsylvania. Here at the September 11th Memorial and Museum, people have gathered...

A billboard commemorating Queen Elizabeth II behind Tottenham Court Road Station.

Queen Elizabeth II’s death may affect NYU London operations

The British monarch’s sudden passing yesterday brought life to a standstill in the United Kingdom.
Edward Franco, Video Director September 9, 2022

Queen Elizabeth II, Britain’s longest-reigning monarch, died on Thursday afternoon at the age of 96. NYU London community members — as well as British students at NYU’s Washington...

Video: Rewind: Protests around NYU after Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade

Thousands of abortion rights supporters protest in NYC after Roe v. Wade was struck down.
Edward Franco, Video Director September 2, 2022

After the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade on June 24, thousands of protesters took to the streets across New York City to oppose the decision. Large gatherings were held in...

Video: What you missed around NYU this summer

Roe v. Wade protests, the adjunct faculty union contract extension, pride celebrations and everything else you need to know from over the break.
Carmo Moniz and Edward Franco September 1, 2022

As thousands of NYU students return to campus for the fall 2022 semester, here are the top stories that WSN followed this summer. Adjunct faculty union contract extended for 30...

Staff Rants: First day of classes

Welcome, or welcome back! WSN staff shares our thoughts and feelings about the start of the semester.

On Thursday: NYU feels very comfortable disrupting the traditional week by starting classes on a Thursday — and not only a regular Thursday, but a Thursday before a long weekend....

Video: Will Wood wants to be authentic, whatever it takes

Avant-pop musician Will Wood talked with WSN about the perils of social media, his upcoming album, “In Case I Make It,” and how his mental health has shaped his music.
Caitlin Hsu, UTA Publishing Editor April 29, 2022

Songwriting inspiration can come from odd places — even from trapping and poisoning a mouse in one’s kitchen. When musician and artist Will Wood first found the creature last...

Video: School of Global Public Health unveils new building, welcomes incoming dean

The school held a ribbon-cutting ceremony to officially open its new building at 708 Broadway.
Gabriel Hawthorne, Deputy News Editor April 1, 2022

Dozens of NYU community members, including President Andrew Hamilton, gathered for a ribbon-cutting ceremony to unveil the School of Global Public Health’s new building at...

Video: NYC protests denounce Russian invasion of Ukraine

Several demonstrations were held across New York City last week at locations from Russia’s United Nations headquarters to the Ukrainian National Home.
Kayla Hardersen and Shaina Vora February 28, 2022

Thousands of demonstrators took to the streets throughout New York City this last week to stand with Ukraine following Russia’s military invasion. Large protests converged at...

Housing Guide 2022

Video: Housing Guide 2022

February 18, 2022

The most recent Student Government Assembly meeting was held on Thursday, Feb. 3. They debated resolutions on transportation costs and housing affordability. (Image via SGA, Staff Illustration by Edward Franco)

Photo: Student gov’t passes resolutions on housing, transport affordability

February 7, 2022

The most recent Student Government Assembly meeting was held on Thursday, Feb. 3. They debated resolutions on transportation costs and housing affordability. (Image via SGA, Staff...

Chloe’s Fruit reopened its storefront on 25 E. 17th St. as a part of a collaboration with the wellness brand, Juice Press. (Staff Photo by Edward Franco)

Photo: From chicharrón to cashew-based mac ‘n’ cheese: The ultimate list of vegan restaurants around NYU

Juliana Guarracino and Gabby Lozano January 24, 2022

(Photo by Camila Ceballos)

Video: Encounters: College apartments

Encounters documents the heartwarming stories of NYU students and members of the surrounding community. This edition features the experiences of three students who live in off-campus apartments.
Camila Ceballos, Contributing Writer November 18, 2021

Welcome back to Encounters, a series that documents the lives of NYU students and members of surrounding communities. This time, we’re interviewing students who live in apartments...

Video: Thousands of students march in NYC Global Climate Strike

Calling on world leaders to take action during this year’s United Nations Climate Week, the New York City chapter of the youth-led climate-advocacy group Fridays For Future organized a strike on Sept. 24.

More than 2,000 students and climate activists participated in the Global Climate Strike march last week, which was organized by the New York City chapter of Fridays For Future,...