New York Men’s Day blends modernity with practicality

The New York Men’s Day Spring/Summer 2024 showcase featured collections that tastefully balanced utility and creativity, showing that form and function don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

New York Men’s Day kicked off its 20th season at Location05 and Daylight Studios, nestled among the high-rises of Hudson Yards. The biannual fashion initiative founded by Agentry PR provides stages for emerging labels and designers to showcase their vision for the upcoming season. This year, 10 designers took the stage at New York Men’s Day on Sept. 9, unveiling their vision for the future of menswear.

AM Shows

CLARA SON

Three models wearing clothing from the design studio CLARA SON pose with the designer, Clara Son.
A model wearing a red mesh top and red shorts walks away from the camera. The model is wearing clothes from CLARA SON.
A model wearing a cream outfit with a cream bag walks towards the camera. The model is wearing clothes from CLARA SON.
CLARA SON, 2023 Collection, New York Men’s Day. (Krish Dev for WSN)

Designer Clara Son used her trypophobia — the fear of clusters of circles — as inspiration in her latest collection, “Emergence Capsule.” As small white spheres cluttered the studio’s floor, models bore ensembles that played into the theme of trypophobia, with design elements like mail coifs, mesh textiles and knotted rope loopings on clothes establishing a pattern of small holes throughout the collection. The collection’s color palette — off-white, cream, murky blue, red and black — was diverse yet cohesive. Each of the five tones was present throughout the pieces, contrasted by silver jewelry.

Three models wearing black outfits stand in a horizontal line. The models are wearing clothes from CLARA SON.
Three pairs of models stand together in a horizontal line wearing cream, red and murky blue outfits respectively. The models are wearing clothes from CLARA SON.

“I’m a huge fan of neutrals, earthy tones, [and colors that are] a little bit saturated — I love color,” Son said. “I never work[ed] with the black color. I thought it was quite dull, but I’m rediscovering that there’s so much possibility.”

KENT ANTHONY

Four models stand in a white showroom with floral plants in the background. The models are wearing clothes from KENT ANTHONY.
Two models in the center of the room stand with floral decorations in the background. The models are wearing clothes from KENT ANTHONY.
KENT ANTHONY, Spring/Summer 2024 Collection, New York Men’s Day. (Krish Dev for WSN)

Kent Anthony’s “MAKE EM SAY YOUR NAME” collection, inspired by the world of athletics, featured a slew of precisely tailored, streamlined silhouettes. Cropped shirts, collared jackets with curving lines and high-waisted pants were form-fitting, embracing physicality, and were complemented by gold jewelry, symbolizing victory.

A model wearing a black outfit with gold hardware stands in the middle of the room. The model is wearing clothes from KENT ANTHONY.
A model wearing an unbuttoned black shirt with a white dotted pattern stands in the middle of the room. The model is wearing clothes from KENT ANTHONY.
A model wearing a black jacket with gold hardware looks down. The model is wearing clothes from KENT ANTHONY.

“We took this idea of track and field and needing to show up and create a moment — we brought that into the collection,” said Kent Anthony, founder of the eponymous studio. “Working with the physical elements of the tracks, you’ll see a strong vertical line in the striping as well as the beading and roping, which feels a little bit more theoretical. It’s about the energy of the collection.”

TERRY SINGH

Two models pose together near a wall of the showroom. One model is wearing a black mesh top, and the other model is wearing a cream blazer. The models are wearing clothes from TERRY SINGH.
A model wearing a blue and gray top and a white skirt stands while holding the skirt up. The model is wearing clothes from TERRY SINGH.
Two models wearing black blazers over white dress shirts pose together near a wall of the showroom. The models are wearing clothes from TERRY SINGH.
TERRY SINGH, Spring/Summer 2024 Collection, New York Men’s Day. (Krish Dev for WSN)

Terry Singh’s unnamed Spring/Summer 2024 collection from his namesake fashion studio had an eclectic blend of designs breaking the boundaries of traditional menswear. Designs melded delicate sheers and light skirts with the strict cuts of tailored menswear, making for an elegant, balanced collection. Skirts were prominent among the designs, an aspect of the collection that Singh holds dear to his heart.

A model wearing a black blazer and cream floral skirt stands with one leg up in the showroom. The model is wearing clothes from TERRY SINGH.
A model wearing a white outfit poses after walking down the short runway. The model is wearing clothes from A.POTTS.
A model wearing a white shirt and dark green skirt poses with their hands on their hips. The model is wearing clothes from TERRY SINGH.

“We’re addressing a social need for a young man in Brazil that likes to dress but can’t wear a skirt,” Singh said. “It is that simple. I just create a love for this young man in Brazil who is marginalized by culture.”

A.POTTS

A model wearing a mustard outfit stands after walking down a short runway. The model is wearing clothes from A.POTTS.
A model wearing a gold foil dress walks down a short runway. The model is wearing clothes from A.POTTS.
A.POTTS, Spring/Summer 2024 Collection, New York Men’s Day. (Krish Dev for WSN)

“URBANEARTH,” designer Aaron Potts’ unisex Spring/Summer collection, incorporated a runway with over a dozen models lit by large windows. Potts’ usage of bold colors, especially as seen in his gold foil and mustard yellow pieces, brightened the models’ striking silhouettes.

A model wearing a black dress with a gold headpiece walks down a short runway. The model is wearing clothes from A.POTTS.
A model wearing a black dress walks down a short runway. The model is wearing clothes from A.POTTS.
A model wearing a dark brown dress with teal shoes walks down a small runway. The model is wearing clothes from A.POTTS.

Attendee Shay Gipson, who works in fashion business development and has seen Potts’ work at previous NYMD events, was particularly impressed by the diversity of the pieces.

“I’m really excited to see his progression; he has really grown as a designer over the years,” Gipson said. “I’m excited to see the color palettes, silhouettes [and] the diversity in day-to-evening wear — the collection is consistent overall.”

B|M|C

Four models stand in two lines in a white showroom. The models are wearing clothes from B.M.C.
A model wearing a white suit stands in a white showroom. The model is wearing clothes from B.M.C.
B|M|C, Spring/Summer 2024 Collection, New York Men’s Day. (Krish Dev for WSN)

B|M|C’s collection “STATUESQUE” showcased tailored suits in a spacious room shared with home appliance company De’Longhi. Fitted with sofas and De’Longhi coffee machines, the space matched the collection’s classy attire. The suits were well-cut and made from high-quality fabrics in elegant, distinguished colors.

A model wearing a black suit leans against a wall. The model is wearing clothes from B.M.C.
A model wearing black sunglasses and a navy suit stands in a white showroom. The model is wearing clothes from B.M.C.
A model wearing a white long-sleeved turtleneck and black suit pants stands in a white showroom. The model is wearing clothes from B.M.C.

In an interview with the Council of Fashion Designers of America, Brandon Murphy, designer and founder of B|M|C, shared how his intimate relationship with fashion has changed how he interacts with the world.

“I adore my imagination and the escapism of fashion, which gives you the freedom to dress however you want and become anyone you want,” Murphy said. “Fashion serves as a comfort blanket for me, protecting me from being overwhelmed by everything.”

PM Shows

thesalting

Nine models stand in a fashion showroom with white walls. They are wearing clothing from the brand thesalting. They are standing on wooden cargo racks placed on the floor across the room.
thesalting, Spring/Summer 2024 Collection, New York Men’s Day. (Kevin Wu for WSN)

thesalting brought a breath of fresh air to NYMD. Founded by Michael Ward and Michael Smaldone in 2018, with co-owner Manel Garcia Espejo joining in 2020, the brand aims to bring unisex clothing with a focus on craftsmanship to consumers. Models took the stage on raised platforms reminiscent of boardwalks, and the collection’s airy but concise styling, lightweight linens and pastel colors transported attendees to the breezy shorelines of the beach.

Three models stand in a fashion showroom with white walls and floor-to-ceiling windows. They are wearing clothing from the brand thesalting and are standing on wooden cargo racks.
Three models stand in a fashion showroom with white walls. They are wearing clothing from the brand thesalting. The model on the right is looking and smiling at the camera.
A model stands in a fashion showroom with white walls. The model is wearing a green bucket hat, a beige suit jacket, a white shirt and green pants from the brand thesalting. There is a small bouquet of foxtail attached to the jacket.

Models stood relaxed, chatting amongst themselves and with attendees, creating a light-hearted atmosphere that matched the brand’s cohesive designs. Accessories including beachy bucket hats, strappy sandals and bouquets pinned to lapels complemented the clothing.

Raleigh Workshop

A line of models walks across a fashion showroom with white walls and floors. They are wearing clothing from the brand Raleigh Workshop.
Raleigh Workshop, Spring/Summer 2024 Collection, New York Men’s Day. (Kevin Wu for WSN)

The North Carolina-based Raleigh Workshop brought its love for denim to the showroom. Founders and married couple Sarah Yarborough and Victor Lytvinenko have separated themselves from the inundation of fast fashion through meticulous handcraft and styling. The collection both reimagined denim while paying homage to the traditions of the fabric. The boxy, stiff silhouettes typical of denim grounded the featured looks, but the designers brought them alive with vibrant color blocking, bright patterns, and contrasted stitching patterns.

A model poses in the middle of a fashion showroom with white walls and floors and a band is playing. They are wearing clothing from the brand Raleigh Workshop.
Two models walk across a fashion showroom with white walls and floors. They are wearing clothing from the brand Raleigh Workshop.

Skyco

The combined smell of coffee-inspired cocktails, sweat and perfumes filled the air of Skyco’s showroom, setting the scene for its 2024 Spring/Summer collection. Skyco easily drew in a large crowd, attracting attendees with its collage-inspired designs and funky colors. The collection incorporated elements of art printing, graphic linework reminiscent of Keith Haring and unconventional materials like burlap. The quirky meshing of patterns and styling continued to Skyco’s accessories — a yellow cotton reptile-shaped handbag with numerous metal zippers and clips added an eclectic finish to one of the looks.

Two models stand in a fashion showroom with a reflective piece of cardboard behind them and artificial turf on the floor. They are wearing clothing from the brand Skyco.
A close-up photo of a model wearing beige nylon pants and boots with colorful patterns. The model is standing on artificial turf and wearing clothing from the brand Skyco.
A model stands in a fashion showroom with reflective cardboard behind them. The model is wearing a brown linen jacket with printed patterns and a green dress. The clothing is from the brand Skyco.
Skyco, Spring/Summer 2024 Collection, New York Men’s Day. (Kevin Wu for WSN)

SEBASTIEN AMI.

Models stand in two lines in a fashion showroom with white walls and floors. They are standing on a carpet of artificial turf with camping equipment. They are wearing clothing from the brand SEBASTIEN AMI.
A model wearing reflective sunglasses, a gray jacket and a beige vest stands in a fashion showroom. Behind the model are two other models. They are wearing clothing from the brand SEBASTIEN AMI.
SEBASTIEN AMI., Spring/Summer 2024 Collection, New York Men’s Day. (Kevin Wu for WSN)

In SEBASTIEN AMI.’s studio, a piece of artificial turf lined the floor under the models and outdoorsy equipment, separating them from the rest of the room and offering guests a glimpse into the collection’s camping origin. The brand, reborn during the pandemic, used a series of camping photos from 1996 — abounding with muted colors and old-school fabrics — as inspiration for this collection.

Four models stand in a fashion showroom with white walls. They are wearing clothing from the brand SEBASTIEN AMI.
A close-up photo of a model wearing a green jacket and blue jeans. The model is holding a brown knitted bag from the brand SEBASTIEN AMI.

One model wore a windbreaker made out of green synthetic fabric and a pair of classic blue jeans. A brown knit crossbody bag finished the look, adding an artisanal touch to the otherwise practical outfit.

Tarpley

Three models stand in a fashion showroom with a black backdrop and white floors. They are wearing clothing from the brand TARPLEY. The clothing has an outdoor theme. They are holding props including a skateboard, a shovel and trekking poles.
A model stands in a fashion showroom against a black backdrop. The model is wearing clothing from the brand TARPLEY, including a black hat and jacket. The model is holding a watering can.
TARPLEY, Spring/Summer 2024 Collection, New York Men’s Day. (Kevin Wu for WSN)

Tarpley continued the trend of utilitarianism at NYMD. Though the collection was grounded by a neutral palette, there was a balanced mix of casual streetwear aesthetics and outdoor clothing with the use of clean-cut layers and form-fitting silhouettes. Models held and maneuvered props like skateboards, watering cans and shovels, alluding to outdoor activities like hiking, commuting and gardening.

A close-up photo of a model standing in a fashion showroom wearing clothing from the brand TARPLEY. The model is wearing black hiking pants and boots.
Four models stand in a fashion showroom with a black backdrop and white floors. They are wearing outdoor-themed clothing from the brand TARPLEY. They are holding props including a smartphone, a tote bag, a fishing rod, a watering can and a helmet.

One model wore a layered, olive-green look that was complemented by dark brown accents. The concise design of the jacket, which had a built-in vest layered on top, paired well with the pants, which were covered with lines of pockets. The look was finished with a muted dark brown roofing cap, heavy-duty boots and black hiking poles with orange accents.

From Terry Singh’s collection breaking past social norms, to Clara Son’s collection processing her trypophobia head-on, NYMD emphasized that fashion can empower the wearer. With collections that refused to constrain themselves to a singular theme, NYMD not only embraced the growing creativity and flexibility in the world of menswear, but did so through personal collections which showed that clothing can offer anyone the opportunity to change how they interact with the world.

Contact Krish Dev and Kevin Wu at [email protected].

Developed for web by Kevin Wu.

Krish Dev
Krish Dev, Multimedia Editor
Krish is a first-year planning to major in Computer Science and Linguistics at CAS. In his free time, he enjoys posting photos on @krish_dev.creations, obsessing over geography, watching new films with friends, taking public transport to new places and letting Arsenal make or break his week.
Kevin Wu
Kevin Wu, Digital Director
Kaiyu (Kevin) Wu is a senior double-majoring in Media, Culture, and Communication and Journalism. He directs everything digital at WSN. You can directly reach him digitally at [email protected].