LIVE: Bernie Sanders Brings the Bern to Washington Square Park

Democratic Presidential Candidate Bernie Sanders is hosting a rally in Washington Square Park this evening, the latest in a string of canvassing events across New York City. WSN will be bringing you live updates as the night unfolds, but before the rally begins, here’s everything you need to know.

• Students are expected to attend class/work as scheduled.
    • Washington Square Park will be closed to the public for a majority of the day. Doors will open for rally-goers at 5 p.m. The event is free, but the Sanders campaign asks that attendees RSVP.
    • Students attending the rally can enter the park after 5 p.m. at the South West and South East corner of the park, near Bobst and Hayden, respectively. Guests are asked to not bring bags, weapons or any sharp objects. In addition, chairs and banners on sticks will not be permitted.
    • Streets surrounding the park will be closed to vehicles, but most will be open to pedestrians. In an email to the NYU community, Executive Vice President for Health Robert Berne advised students to carry their IDs to present to police if they live, work or have class on Washington Square North later in the day.
    • Vampire Weekend will be joining Sanders at the rally, and music starts at 7 p.m. Sanders will also be joined by Spike Lee, Rosario Dawson, Shailene Woodley, Linda Sarsour, Tim Robbins and Graham Nash.

•  Vampire Weekend has now taken the stage at 7:15 p.m.

•  Sanders supporters talk to WSN about why they “feel the Bern.”

• Actor Tim Robbins is now addressing the crowd, voicing his support for the senator. Robbins’ speech is followed by other notable supporters including Linda Sarsour and Spike Lee.
  • Bernie Sanders makes his way center stage to speak to thousands of attendees.

• The rally has now concluded with thunderous applause from the crowd.

Be sure to check back here for real-time updates throughout the event. In addition, follow us on Twitter and Snapchat @nyunews.

Email Anne and Lexi at [email protected].