Outdoor Flea Markets to Frequent This Fall

Gia Araujo, Contributing Writer

The changing of seasons means your wardrobe should too. Thankfully, fall is the season of the outdoor flea market, places where you may find one of a kind clothes, accessories and art –– offered up at every price point.

Although it takes some searching, shopping at flea markets can yield amazing results. Dropping by a local flea market is a fun-filled experience best shared with friends. Visiting flea markets presents an exciting adventure as you’ll never know what youill find, whether that be meeting artisans or the perfect addition to your closet.

Chelsea Flea Market

25th Street between 6th and 5th Avenue, Saturdays and Sundays from 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.

“The cool thing is that you never know who’s gonna show up,” A vendor, Jun, shares. “Andy Warhol and Keith Haring used to come to the Chelsea Flea. Not many people know about it — I’ve even sold something to Anna Sui.”

At the Chelsea Flea Market, among a majority of charismatic clothing vendors, pushing Ralph Lauren, Burberry, Tom Ford, as well as low-profile vintage finds, is a taste of New York of the 1980s.

Jun shares that the Chelsea Flea Market is still a very social environment, “I always walk around the market to see what other vendors are selling, I like hunting and finding cool pieces.”

NoLita Market

Prince Street between Mulberry and Mott Street, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

At the Nolita Market artisans sell jewelry, accessories and art. Many of these artisans use unique fabrics and metals that distinguish their products from other vendors. The market is worth going to, to observe the stylish people who attend, the laid-back neighborhood and the one-of-a-kind pieces.

Hell’s Kitchen Flea Market

408-424 West 39th Street, Saturdays and Sundays 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

“Fall is the best time to shop if you are in the market for furs or coats,” Store With No Walls owner Anthony DeVincenzo said. “My wife was in clothing business, I was always in sales,” He shares, “It was always a viable concept, I like that it’s not a 9-to-5 job. I am only here on Saturdays, the rest of our sales are through wholesale appointments.”

If you are in the market for antiques and one of a kind accessories, Hell’s Kitchen Flea Market is worth the trek. There is a diverse selection of items and a multitude of vendors, a large majority of which sell vintage or handmade jewelry and some vendors sell old license plates, typewriters and other rarities.

Brooklyn Flea Market

Under the Manhattan Bridge on 80 Pearl Street, Sundays from 10 a.m.to 5 p.m.

If you’re willing to make the journey to this hipster hotspot, a wide array of vintage clothes, accessories and antiques await. This is a great place to find clothing with distinct prints and uncommon fabrics. After you spend time updating your wardrobe, you can find several global food vendors.

Email Gia Araujo at [email protected].