Photo of Rachel Cohen

Rachel Cohen, Managing Editor

Rachel Cohen is a junior double-majoring in journalism and politics. She is interested in reporting on local news, city and national politics, and social justice. Email her at [email protected], and follow her on Twitter @rachscoh.

All content by Rachel Cohen
An illustration of a megaphone with a red handle. Written in orange on the megaphone are the words “Staff Rants.”

Staff Rants: Midterms and midterms

It’s the middle of the term! The WSN staff offers our thoughts on our exam-packed weeks and the ongoing congressional election season.

On unoriginality: It’s really unoriginal of NYU to hold midterm exams during the midterm elections. As an academic institution that discourages plagiarism, it shouldn’t steal...

A close-up shot looking past the windshield of a car. A red circle inserted into the image highlights the head of Frank James, who can be seen as a blur in the background.

Relief in East Village after alleged Brooklyn shooter arrested

Frank James, the suspect in the Brooklyn subway shooting, was arrested on Wednesday, April 13, after Zack Dahhan spotted him walking on the First Avenue sidewalk.
Kristian Burt, Rachel Cohen and Abby Wilson April 13, 2022

Zack Dahhan was repairing security cameras inside of Saifee Hardware & Garden in the East Village when he saw Frank James — the man accused of the mass shooting in a subway...

A headshot of Victoria Rosner wearing a blue shirt, in front of a white wall and next to a framed artwork.

Gallatin appoints new dean

Victoria Rosner, the current dean of academic affairs at Columbia University’s School of General Studies, will become the dean of the Gallatin School of Individualized Study at NYU beginning July 15.
Rachel Cohen and Abby Wilson April 5, 2022

Victoria Rosner was appointed as the dean of the Gallatin School of Individualized Study at NYU on Monday, April 4, President Andrew Hamilton and Provost Katherine Fleming announced....

A white board with blue handwritten letters sitting on a desk. The words say “March 31st (today). Please Continue to Wear Masks during your visit. Thank you.”

Students and staff left puzzled by new mask guidelines

After NYU lifted parts of its on-campus mask mandate earlier this week, community members are unsure of where exactly mask wearing is optional or required.
Rachel Cohen and Abby Wilson April 1, 2022

When students arrived at Palladium Athletic Facility’s turnstile on Thursday, March 31, they did not think they would need to wear a mask — some had shown up without them....

A group of students sit on a bench in Washington Square Park. Buildings in the background rise above green trees with lots of foliage. It is a sunny day with a bright blue sky full of clouds. The fountain in the center of the park is on and spewing water into the air.

NYU acceptance rate falls to 12.2% for 2022 admits

The university’s incoming class of 2026 is its most selective ever. NYU received more than 105,000 applications.
Arnav Binaykia, Rachel Cohen and Abby Wilson March 31, 2022

NYU’s undergraduate admissions rate dropped to 12.2% for the class of 2026, according to university admissions data released on Wednesday. More than 105,000 students applied...

A screenshot from CCTV video released by the NYPD Crime Stoppers Program. From above, a white-haired individual wearing a light blue short-sleeve T-shirt, dark-colored slim pants walks under scaffolding.

NYU Campus Safety to increase security after several students assaulted

After another student was attacked on campus on Feb. 25, the department will add security officers, cameras and lights east of Washington Square Park. A suspect in a similar string of assaults was arrested on March 2.
Kristian Burt and Rachel Cohen March 3, 2022

NYU Campus Safety will install more security cameras east of Washington Square Park, add lighting to the scaffolding of university buildings and increase police presence around...

An illustration of the Washington Square Arch. Behind the arch sits gray and brown alternating high-rises. On the top right are the words “The Daybook” in an arched shape.

What to do this week: Valentine’s Day and more

The Daybook is WSN’s weekly column listing in-person and online events at NYU and across New York City. This week: Feb. 14 to Feb. 20.
Rachel Cohen and Kristian Burt February 14, 2022

A Valentine’s Day edition of “Office” trivia 8-9:30 p.m. at 225 E. 44th St. Free, open to the public Bring your special someone to Overlook NYC’s trivia night...

What to do this week: MLK Week, New York Fashion Week

The Daybook is WSN’s weekly column listing in-person and online events at NYU and across New York City. This week: Attend NYU’s MLK Week events or watch the Super Bowl.
Kristian Burt and Rachel Cohen February 6, 2022

A vigil for Michelle Go 6:30-7:30 p.m. on Zoom Free, open to the public Join the university community in a memorial for NYU alum Michelle Go, who was killed in the...

What to do this week: Jan. 31-Feb. 6

The Daybook is WSN’s weekly column listing in-person and online events at NYU and across New York City. This week: watch a discounted Broadway show or join a conversation with Angela Davis.
Kristian Burt and Rachel Cohen January 31, 2022

A food tour in the Village 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at 277 Bleecker St. $56 per ticket, open to the public Take a food tour across Greenwich Village and try the different cuisines...

Missing NYU adjunct professor found at Harlem Hospital

A Tandon professor who was reported missing this week was found safe at Harlem Hospital on Thursday.
Rachel Cohen, News Editor January 28, 2022

An inactive NYU adjunct professor who went missing this week was found safe at Harlem Hospital on Thursday. He has dementia, according to his wife Mary Hegde. Suryanarayan...

What to do this week: Jan. 24-30

The Daybook is WSN’s weekly column listing in-person and online events at NYU and across New York City.
Kristian Burt and Rachel Cohen January 24, 2022

A conversation with Olympian and NYU alum Tom Feng 12-1 p.m. on Zoom Free, open to all members of the NYU community Tom Feng, a U.S. Olympian, is joining an alumni panel...

In a Jan 12. email, NYU announced that the spring 2022 semester will be held in-person. Schools, departments and faculty should offer students flexibility and allow for students to attend their classes remotely or through alternative methods due to the spike in cases of the omicron variant. (Staff Photo by Manasa Gudavalli)

Spring 2022 semester will be in person, NYU says

The university formally announced that classes will be in person this semester amid a surge in cases of the omicron variant of COVID-19. Senior leadership provided rationales for their decision and emphasized the need for flexibility.
Kristian Burt and Rachel Cohen January 12, 2022

The spring 2022 semester will be held in person as previously planned, NYU announced in a Jan. 12 email to the community. According to university leadership, high vaccination rates,...

An NYU alumni newsletter suggests that NYU will resume in-person instruction for the spring 2022 semester. The university has yet to officially announce its plans. (Staff Photo and Illustration by Manasa Gudavalli)

NYU alumni newsletter hints at in-person spring 2022 semester

An NYU webpage dated Jan. 15, 2022, states that NYU “is preparing to resume in-person instruction at the start of the spring semester” at its New York City campus and abroad sites.
Kristian Burt, Rachel Cohen and Alex Tey January 10, 2022

NYU appears prepared to start the spring semester with in-person classes, according to an alumni newsletter on the university’s website. The page, dated Jan. 15, 2022, seems...

NYU will announce its spring semester plans this week as the omicron variant continues to surge. Other New York City colleges and some NYU schools have already communicated virtual plans for the beginning of the spring semester. (Staff Photo by Manasa Gudavalli)

NYU to announce spring semester plans this week

The university will soon decide whether classes will remain in person or turn virtual for the spring 2022 semester as the omicron variant continues to drive high case rates.
Kristian Burt and Rachel Cohen January 10, 2022

NYU expects to announce its spring semester plans this week, according to an email sent by university leadership to the community on Jan. 7. The directive will come amid the continued...

An NYU student was shot in the arm outside of a building at the Tandon School of Engineering on Sept. 21. The 17-year-old suspect was arrested yesterday, Jan. 4. (Staff Photo by Manasa Gudavalli)

Tandon shooting suspect arrested

A suspect has been arrested in connection with the September shooting of an NYU student at the university’s Brooklyn Campus. The suspect and 16 other alleged gang members stand accused of a series of armed assaults and murders.
Kristian Burt and Rachel Cohen January 5, 2022

The 17-year-old who allegedly shot an NYU student on the university’s Brooklyn campus in September was arrested on Jan. 4. He was indicted along with 16 other alleged gang members,...

Michael Steinhardt, after whom NYU Steinhardt is named, was recently ordered to surrender $70 million worth of stolen antiquities. This, coupled with sexual assault allegations, have driven the Department of Media, Culture and Communication to demand that their school be renamed. (Staff Photo by Manasa Gudavalli, Image via Wikimedia Commons)

Steinhardt MCC faculty also demand the school be renamed

Michael Steinhardt’s possession of stolen antiquities has led 26 professors from the department of Media, Culture, and Communication to demand their school be renamed — with some asking why such action was not taken following sexual assault allegations in 2019.
Kristian Burt and Rachel Cohen December 10, 2021

Twenty-six professors from the department of Media, Culture, and Communication issued a statement denouncing the name of the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human...

Michael Steinhardt and his wife, Judy Steinhardt made two $10 million donations to the NYU Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development in 2001. Michael Steinhardt was ordered to surrender 180 stolen antiques worth $70 million on Dec. 6 and received a lifetime ban on acquiring artifacts. (Image via nyu.edu)

Michael Steinhardt surrenders stolen antiquities worth $70 million 

The NYU trustee and Steinhardt school namesake was ordered to turn over 180 stolen antiquities after a four-year investigation by the Manhattan district attorney.
Kristian Burt and Rachel Cohen December 7, 2021

Michael Steinhardt, after whom the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development is named, was ordered to surrender 180 stolen antiquities worth $70 million on...

A wall with photographs of NYU trustees on display at the Kimmel Center for University Life. (Alexandra Chan for WSN)

Student gov’t renews push for representation on NYU board of trustees

Presidents Council Vice-Chair Anthony Cruz resumes discourse over a resolution to add voices of the larger NYU community to the board.
Maria Freyre and Rachel Cohen December 7, 2021

At the final student government meeting of the fall semester on Dec. 2, Presidents Council Vice-Chair Anthony Cruz reopened dialogue over a resolution to give student, faculty,...

Shreya Tandri (left), a Gallatin student, and Izzy Vieira (right), a CAS senior, spoke at the podium during the NYU Interclub Politics Society Debate on Dec. 1. (Staff Photo by Rachel Cohen)

Photo: NYU Dems and Republicans debate prisons, education, drugs

Kristian Burt, Deputy News Editor December 3, 2021

Shreya Tandri (left), a Gallatin student, and Izzy Vieira (right), a CAS senior, spoke at the podium during the NYU Interclub Politics Society Debate on Dec. 1. (Staff Photo by...

Ten NYU students and one professor were arrested for civil disobedience in Washington D.C. This is the second time in three weeks that an NYU group blocked pedestrian traffic outside of the White House. (Image courtesy of The Workers Circle)

More NYU students arrested for voting rights protest outside White House

A group was arrested for civil disobedience in Washington, D.C., while demanding the Biden administration pass federal voting rights legislation.
Rachel Cohen, Deputy News Editor November 18, 2021

Ten NYU students and one professor were arrested for civil disobedience in Washington, D.C., on Nov. 17. This was the second time in three weeks that an NYU group blocked pedestrian...

On Nov. 12, a Tandon union came to a tentative agreement with NYU. The new contract provides employees with benefits like childcare subsidies and a percentage increase in wage and portable tuition. (Staff Photo by Manasa Gudavalli)

Victory for Tandon workers as tentative agreement reached with NYU

Tandon employees represented by the Office and Professional Employees International Union Local 153 are voting to ratify a six-year contract that includes childcare subsidies, a percentage increase in wages and portable tuition. 
Rachel Cohen, Deputy News Editor November 15, 2021

A union representing approximately 38 non-teaching staff at the Tandon School of Engineering came to a tentative agreement with NYU on Friday, Nov. 12, after several bargaining...

BREAKING NEWS: ​​NYU received bomb threats targeting the Stern School of Business and the Center for Neural Science. Students have been instructed to evacuate to Bobst Library and the Kimmel Center. (Staff Photo by Manasa Gudavalli)

Bomb threats at NYU force evacuations

NYU received bomb threats targeting the Stern School of Business and the Center for Neural Science. Buildings across campus were evacuated, but are now clear to reenter. Classes will proceed as normal on Nov. 12.

NYU received bomb threats at the Stern School of Business and Center for Neural Science. The Hebrew Union College, an independent institution not affiliated with NYU, also received...

On Sunday, Nov. 7, Brown University, Columbia University and Cornell University received bomb threats. Both Cornell and Brown received bomb threats by phone and Columbia’s evacuations appeared to be in response to two threats posted by a Twitter account. (Images via Wikimedia Commons)

Bomb threats force evacuations at Brown, Columbia, Cornell

Brown, Columbia and Cornell Universities are the latest in a slew of bomb threats targeting universities across the United States this past week.

Brown University, Columbia University and Cornell University received bomb threats on the afternoon of Sunday, Nov. 7. Brown evacuated all buildings on the Main Green, Columbia...

On Wednesday morning, five NYU students and two professors were arrested for civil disobedience in Washington D.C. The protest was for the passage of the Freedom to Vote Act and the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act. (Image courtesy of The Workers Circle)

5 NYU students, 2 profs arrested outside White House

In an act of civil disobedience, a group refused to move from the sidewalk of a street near the White House, calling on the Biden administration to pass legislation protecting voting rights.
Rachel Cohen, Deputy News Editor November 4, 2021

Five NYU students and two professors were arrested for civil disobedience in Washington, D.C., on Nov. 3. They refused to move from a sidewalk near the White House in an effort...

New York City’s vaccine mandate for municipal workers led to a protest march on Monday. Paramedics, police officers, firefighters and other municipal workers voiced their opposition to the mandate through signs, speeches and chants. (Staff Photo by Ryan Kawahara)

City workers storm Brooklyn Bridge protesting vaccine mandate

The group marched across the Brooklyn Bridge to City Hall on Monday afternoon in opposition to New York City’s vaccine mandate for municipal employees. 
Rachel Cohen, Rachel Fadem and Ryan Kawahara October 26, 2021

Thousands of protesters marched across the Brooklyn Bridge into Manhattan on Monday afternoon to oppose New York City’s vaccine mandate for its municipal workers.  The group...

Prominent NYU activists publicize sexual assault allegations against one another

NYU sophomores Jamie Margolin and Emma Tang, both well-known activists with large social media followings, each made posts claiming they were sexually assaulted by the other in October 2020.
Rachel Cohen, Deputy News Editor October 20, 2021

Content warning: This article contains descriptions and discussions of sexual assault. Two NYU student activists with large social media followings have accused one another...

Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer was chosen as this years NYU Reads selection. Members of the Native American and Indigenous Students Group at NYU have said that the university has failed to include them in the conversation about the reading. (Staff Photo by Sirui Wu)

Indigenous students demand visibility after being snubbed at NYU Reads event

Despite continuously contacting the university before an NYU Reads event, the Native American and Indigenous Students Group at NYU was left with only a few hours to prepare.
Rachel Cohen, Deputy News Editor October 8, 2021

Members of the Native American and Indigenous Students Group at NYU said they were not invited to participate in a community event about “Braiding Sweetgrass,” a book by Indigenous...

The statue of Marsha P. Johnson, decorated in a wreath and flowers, stands in Christopher Park. This monument honoring the gay liberation pioneer was installed by a local artist without city authorization. (Staff Photo by Sirui Wu)

Guerrilla memorial is NYC’s first statue of a trans person

The unauthorized statue of gay liberation activist Marsha P. Johnson in Christopher Park amplifies the silenced Black transgender voices of the LGBTQ+ movement.
Rachel Cohen, Deputy News Editor September 20, 2021

In 2019, New York City announced plans to install a monument honoring gay liberation pioneer and Black transgender activist Marsha P. Johnson down the street from the Stonewall...

An email sent by the NYU Department of Campus Safety contained the subject line “Simple Assault - Hate Crime,” but did not define the legal term “simple assault” in the alert. Many members of the university community are now confused about what the term simple assault means. (Staff Photo and Illustration by Manasa Gudavalli)

Explained: ‘Simple assault’ and the confusion surrounding NYU’s alert emails

The term "simple assault" is not so simple. Recent communications from the university left students wondering what the term means and why it is being used to refer to serious attacks.
Rachel Cohen, Rachel Fadem and Suhail Gharaibeh September 20, 2021

Two NYU students were victims of a homophobic hate crime at 14th Street and Third Avenue on Sept. 15, according to an email alert sent by the Department of Campus Safety. The two...

Security camera footage shows the perpetrator wearing a black face mask and riding a red and black moped. The reports all described the attacker wearing dark clothing and a motorcycle helmet covering the majority of their face. (Image courtesy of NYPD)

Another student groped on campus as string of sexual assaults continues

The fourth incident in a string of sexual assaults raises questions about security at NYU — particularly for women, who make up 58% of the undergraduate student population.

An NYU student reported that they were sexually assaulted on campus at approximately 4:40 p.m. on Sept. 10. This was the fourth such incident in less than two weeks, all of which...

NYU’s chapter of the Young Democratic Socialists of America announced its Fall 2021 tuition strike on April 30. However, the group recently called off its tuition strike for the Fall 2021 semester and now plans to organize another strike for Spring 2022. (Staff Photo by Alexandra Chan)

NYU YDSA halts fall 2021 tuition strike, plans instead for Spring 2022

After calling off its original fall 2021 tuition strike, the NYU chapter of the Young Democratic Socialists of America is encouraging students to stop paying tuition for the spring 2022 semester.
Rachel Cohen, Deputy News Editor September 3, 2021

NYU’s chapter of the Young Democratic Socialists of America has called off its tuition strike for the fall 2021 semester. Instead, the group is now regrouping and reorganizing...

NYU has adopted the new platform Brightspace for students to use in order to view their syllabi and assignments. Most classes have already moved from the previous platform of NYU Classes to Brightspace, and NYU is planning to complete the transition by December. (Staff Illustration by Manasa Gudavalli)

NYU Classes is dead

After eight years with NYU Classes as the university’s learning management system, NYU expects to fully transition to Brightspace by December 2021.
Rachel Cohen, Deputy News Editor September 2, 2021

The fall 2021 semester begins today, Sep. 2, but unlike previous years, most students will not log on to NYU Classes to download their syllabi and view their assignments. Instead,...

On Tuesday, August 31, at the northeast corner of East Eighth Street and University Pl, a person driving a scooter groped a female NYU student. Since then, two other female NYU students have been sexually assaulted by a passing driver on a scooter. (Staff Photo by Shaina Ahmed)

Students concerned as NYU reports three gropings in two days

On Aug. 31 and Sept. 1, the NYU Department of Campus Safety informed students of three sexual assault incidents.
Rachel Cohen and Rachel Fadem September 1, 2021

A person on a two-wheeled motorized vehicle groped three female NYU students in the last two days, according to alerts sent from NYU’s Department of Campus Safety to the university...

A parent stands outside Palladium Hall during move-in. NYU administration has introduced new procedures to allow for in-person operations during COVID-19. (Staff Photo by Jake Capriotti)

Masking, testing, reopening: A guide to the fall 2021 semester

Learn about NYU’s plan to return to near-normal operations and all the guidelines and requirements you should know about this fall.
Rachel Cohen, Deputy News Editor August 30, 2021

Editor’s note: This article was published in August 2021. Guidelines and requirements from NYU may have since changed. The fall 2021 semester will be the first time many students...

As the idea of critical race theory enters the political mainstream, state legislatures are clashing over what should be taught in K-12 classrooms. While some states have banned such curriculum, NYU students and faculty have encouraged similar discussions in university classrooms. (Staff Illustration by Manasa Gudavalli)

‘A political football’: NYU faculty grapple with nationwide vilification of critical race theory

In recent months, legislation seeking to ban the framework from being taught in K-12 public schools has been introduced in 26 states and enacted in twelve.
Rachel Cohen, Deputy News Editor August 25, 2021

Amid a period of racial reckoning, critical race theory — a legal framework developed 40 years ago that analyzes how racism is not just the product of individual bias or prejudice,...

Democratic candidate Eric Adams and Republican candidate Curtis Sliwa take the lead as front runners of their respective races, following voter turnout from Primary Day. However, official results are expected to be revealed in mid-July following rounds of ranked-choice voting. (Images via Wikimedia Commons, Staff Photo and Illustration by Manasa Gudavalli)

New Yorkers and NYU students alike show low turnout for the mayoral primaries

Democratic candidate Eric Adams has an early lead in the polls, but official results are expected to be revealed in mid-July following rounds of ranked-choice voting.
Rachel Cohen, Deputy News Editor June 30, 2021

Nearly 1.1 million New Yorkers voted early in the 2020 presidential election, often having to wait for hours in line. But when Gallatin sophomore Jacob Keller arrived at the polls...

Carlyle Court is located at 25 Union Square W. NYU’s 2021-22 housing reapplication process launched May 5, a day earlier than expected. (Staff Photo by Alexandra Chan)

After weeks of delay, NYU opens 2021-22 housing reapplications

Applications to reside in on-campus housing were opened Wednesday, after weeks of postponement and unclear communication — or lack thereof — from the Office of Residential Life and Housing Services.
Rachel Cohen, Staff Writer May 6, 2021

NYU’s 2021-22 housing reapplication process launched May 5, a day earlier than expected. The anticipated launch date on the housing website was changed multiple times in March...

NYU students and faculty members call for the removal of NYU trustee and Blackrock CEO, Laurence Fink, in lieu of his asset management firm’s investments in index funds associated with firms that operate ICE detention centers and the Trump border walls. (Staff Illustration by Alexandra Chan)

‘Larry Fink should not be on the Board of Trustees’: Long-time NYU trustee is linked to ICE and private prison operators

Laurence Fink — the CEO of BlackRock, a vice chair of the NYU Board of Trustees and the co-chair of the NYU Langone Health Board of Trustees — has investments in the U.S-Mexico border wall and immigrant detention facilities.
Rachel Cohen, Staff Writer May 5, 2021

Campus access for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents has been a point of contention during contract renewal negotiations between...

The Graduate Student Organizing Committee has been on strike since April 26 of this year, demanding a renegotiated contract after their previous one expired in August 2020. This strike is not the first time graduate student workers have struggled to get the university to bargain. (Staff Photo by Alexandra Chan)

‘The resilience of GSOC’: A look into the union’s history

The ongoing graduate student worker strike is not the first time the Graduate Student Organizing Committee has used strike actions to battle for its demands.
Rachel Cohen, Staff Writer May 4, 2021

Zach Schwartz-Weinstein marched alongside fellow graduate student workers and union supporters from Judson Memorial Church to Washington Square Park on April 27, 2006, to support...

NYU GSOC member Yuwei waves a flag that reads Solidarity, not austerity, join the strike on day 2 of the strike. GSOC will be picketing all week. (Staff Photo by Alexandra Chan)

GSOC agrees to mediator, NYU clarifies purpose of email to parents

NYU’s graduate student workers are striking for the fourth day in demand of a new contract.
Rachel Cohen and Arnav Binaykia April 29, 2021

The Graduate Student Organizing Committee’s strike entered its third day on Wednesday, April 28. Students and faculty reported disruptions to class activities, such as delayed...

From left to right, Andrew Yang, Eric Adams, Scott Stringer and Maya Wiley are all candidates in the competitive New Yorks mayoral race. According to a recent Data for Progress poll, Yang, Adams, Stringer and Wiley are the top four candidates in the Democratic mayoral primary. (Images via Wikimedia Commons, Staff Photo and Illustration by Alexandra Chan)

NYC Mayoral Race: Meet the Leading Candidates

Andrew Yang, Eric Adams, Scott Stringer and Maya Wiley are the top four candidates in the Democratic mayoral primary, according to a recent Data for Progress poll.
Rachel Cohen, Staff Writer April 23, 2021

We're two months away from the June 22 Democratic mayoral primary, which will likely determine New York City's next mayor.  Twelve Democrats and two Republicans are running...

NYU announced to the university community that the Class of 2021 will have a virtual commencement on May 19. Many graduating students believe this decision was reached prematurely. (Staff Photo by Paul Kim)

Class of 2021 pushes for an in-person commencement

Since NYU announced in February that the Class of 2021 would have a virtual commencement, a petition calling for an in-person graduation ceremony has garnered more than 1,000 signatures.
Rachel Cohen, Staff Writer April 22, 2021

NYU announced on Feb. 8 in a letter to the university community that the Class of 2021 will have a virtual commencement on May 19. A make-up in-person ceremony is tentatively planned...

Walgreens is among one of the vaccine providers accessible through appointment booking. Some students ineligible for the COVID-19 vaccine have been taking advantage of its conflicting guidelines to get vaccinated, putting their friendships with other students on the line. (Staff Photo by Manasa Gudavalli)

Cutting ties with line cutters: A student’s friendships are tested after ineligible friends get vaccinated

Liberal Studies first-year Amber Alirahi has put friendships on hold with students who used loopholes to get vaccinated early. Public health experts said such cheating is to be expected and pushes eligible people aside.
Rachel Cohen, Staff Writer April 8, 2021

Amber Alirahi has witnessed the effects of the pandemic firsthand. The Liberal Studies first-year lost a loved one due to COVID-19 in early May of 2020. She witnessed her sister,...

Pharmacies including this Duane Reade are participating in the city-wide vaccine rollout. NYU will also begin scheduling vaccine appointments for students. (Staff Photo by Manasa Gudavalli)

NYU to begin vaccinating students today

After receiving a shipment of COVID-19 vaccines, the university is opening its vaccination sites to randomly selected students starting this week.
Rachel Cohen, Staff Writer April 6, 2021

NYU will begin vaccinating students on April 6. The university’s announcement coincides with New York state’s decision to open up COVID-19 vaccines to New York residents aged...

The vaccine rollout in New York City has eligibility attachments. Some NYU students have attempted to skirt regulations to get vaccinated. (Illustration by Qashka Rulino)

NYU students ineligible for the COVID-19 vaccine take advantage of conflicting guidelines to get vaccinated

Due to the conflicting federal and state guidelines, some students have falsely claimed that they live in congregate living facilities in order to qualify for a COVID-19 vaccine early.
Rachel Cohen, Staff Writer April 5, 2021

Liberal Studies first-year MaryCharlotte Barnes plans to sign up for the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine on April 6, when she, and all New York state residents aged 16 and over...

Its almost time for students to register for next semesters classes. But registration has been delayed.

Course registration for the Fall 2021 semester postponed until May

As the university readjusts for a return to in-person instruction, registration for the Fall 2021 semester will be pushed back to May 24.
Rachel Cohen, Staff Writer March 26, 2021

Course registration for the Fall 2021 semester has been postponed from April 20 to May 24 for continuing undergraduate and graduate students, since NYU must plan and readjust more...

NYU Steinhardt building is located at 82 Washington Square E. In an attempt to fight against tuition increases, Steinhardt’s Undergraduate Student Government’s advocacy committee is writing a letter to the state legislature asking for the state of New York to increase its financial aid. (Photo by Mathilde Van Tulder)

Resolution addressing tuition increases and financial aid heads to the University Senate

The resolution demands that NYU freeze tuition increases for students facing financial difficulties and raise tuition and student financial aid packages proportionally for all other students.
Rachel Cohen, Staff Writer March 25, 2021

A resolution addressing the financial burdens of NYU students due to the COVID-19 pandemic is heading to the University Senate today, March 25, after passing through the Student...

The Oscars were one of many award shows that have looked different since the COVID-19 pandemic. Two NYU Tisch alumni are recognized as nominees at the Oscars and Golden Globes this year. (Illustration by Jules Talbot)

Tisch alumni recognized at Golden Globes and Oscars

Chloé Zhao made history at the 2021 Golden Globes, and her film "Nomadland" was nominated for numerous Oscars. Meanwhile, Karishma Dev Dube’s movie "Bittu" made the shortlist for the best live-action short film category at the 2021 Academy Awards.
Rachel Cohen, Staff Writer March 19, 2021

Tisch alumnae Chloé Zhao and Karishma Dev Dube made headlines in recent weeks for their groundbreaking awards show recognitions. Dube’s short film “Bittu” was one of 10...

NYU plans on opening vaccination sites at Student Health Center and the Bobst Library. The university has released plans for on-campus vaccination but has yet to state whether it is required for students to be vaccinated for on-campus activities. (Photo by Nina Schifano)

NYU prepares vaccination sites on campus

The university encourages eligible groups to get vaccinated and released plans for on-campus vaccination sites.
Rachel Cohen, Staff Writer March 9, 2021

NYU has been approved as a vaccination center and will open vaccination sites at the Student Health Center and on the first floor of Bobst Library, according to a Feb. 17 email...

A protester holds a sign reading Breonna Taylor Deserved Better. Protests continue for the second consecutive day, with around 200 people gathering in Union Square Park. (Staff Photo by Manasa Gudavalli)

Protesters Demand Justice for Breonna Taylor for Second Consecutive Day After Ruling

An estimated crowd of 200 gathered at Union Square to protest the Kentucky grand jury’s Sept. 23 decision.
Matthew Fischetti, Rachel Cohen and Mei Lamison September 25, 2020

Protestors gathered at Union Square on the evening of Thursday, Sept. 24 after a Kentucky grand jury decided Wednesday to bring no direct charges against Louisville Metro Police...

A protester holds up a sign reading Black Womens Lives Matter at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. People protested all over New York City after a grand jury decided not to charge Louisville cops for the murder of Breonna Taylor. (Staff Photo by Jake Capriotti)

Protests Demanding Justice For Breonna Taylor Sweep New York City

A Brooklyn protest and a Manhattan protest, thousands strong, joined together to demand justice for Breonna Taylor, who was fatally shot in her own apartment by Louisville police officers.
Matthew Fischetti and Rachel Cohen September 24, 2020

Thousands of protesters took to New York City’s streets the night of Wednesday, Sept. 23 after none of the Louisville Metro Police Department officers who shot Breonna Taylor...