The Unofficial NYU Student Guide to Soup

The perfect post-flu shot treat.
Brodo advertises itself as a frozen-fresh bone broth company that provides scheduled delivery. (Staff Photo by Chelsea Li)

As temperatures continue to fall in the city, so do our immune systems. Unfortunately, grandma isn’t here to make your favorite chicken noodle soup. You know what I’m talking about. That magical broth that somehow cured all ailments and derived its healing powers from grandma herself. If you’ve finally submitted to the health center’s emails and decided to get that flu shot, check out some of these cafes following your appointment to strengthen your immune system (well, as much as a bowl of soup can). You now have a list of go-to soup-serving establishments.

Soup Kiosk  

94 Prince St. $

Surrounded by the manicured streets and designer boutiques of SoHo, this unassuming kiosk serves an assortment of soups at student-friendly prices. Soups range from $5 to $6 for a small and $6 to $7.50 for a large, with extra bread available for 50 cents. After a long day of shopping, Yelp reviewers recommend treating yourself to a piping hot cup of beef chili. If you’re not a meat-eater, you can opt for the vegetarian version, which is equally delicious. Soup Kiosk is cash-only, so make sure to stop by an ATM on your way.

Good Stock  

31 Carmine St. $

Only a few blocks from Washington Square Park, Good Stock is the perfect place to grab a cup of soup in between classes. Specialties include the bone broth, roasted tomato soup and fried chicken and andouille gumbo, all for $10 or less. There are also a number of gluten-free, vegan and dairy-free options. When you want to treat yourself, you can order a lunchbox special for $14 which comes with an 8-ounce cup of soup, side salad, half sandwich and a brownie.

Good Stock is another soup company that provides local delivery to customers and great ingredients. (Staff Photo by Chelsea Li)

Brodo Broth Co.  

496 Hudson St. $

Pioneered by James Beard Award-winning chef Marco Canora, this tiny takeout window serves delicious bone broth in a coffee to-go cup, making it perfect for portable eating as you go about your busy day. The most popular flavor is the Hearth Broth, which is a blend of chicken, turkey and beef broth, but chicken, beef and vegan seaweed mushroom broths are also available. For $1 each, you can include a variety of themed add-ins, such as Tuscan Sun (rosemary oil, roasted garlic and lemon), Tom Yum (chili oil, coconut milk, curry spice and lime) and Salt of the Sea (seaweed and ginger). If you can’t make a quick stop, microwavable frozen broth is also available to order straight to your dorm or apartment.

Springbone Kitchen  

90 W. Third St. $

Springbone Kitchen is a cutesy cafe with a health-focused soup menu, specializing in bone broth. The menu is made up almost entirely of organic fruits and vegetables and free-range, grass-fed meats. Similar to Brodo’s, Springbone’s protein-and vitamin-packed broth is served in a coffee cup with add-ins available. If you can’t make up your mind, you can order a flight of their four most popular broths for $9. Like most of the other options listed above, their broths are budget-friendly, with prices set below the meal swipe mark.

Springbone is a bone broth company that emphasizes the benefits of its broth ingredients on your body. (Staff Photo by Chelsea Li)

Cozy Soup ‘n’ Burger  

739 Broadway $

This wouldn’t be an NYU-centric guide to soup if Cozy didn’t make the list. Open 24 hours and blocks away from Washington Square Park, this diner is like a second home to some students. And as the name suggests, they serve soup. Although there are only four soups on the menu, quality over quantity makes their soup menu mention-worthy: French onion, split pea, matzoh ball and western-style chili. The expansive menu is similar to your traditional diner, complete with omelets, burgers and milkshakes as well as sandwiches that pair amazingly with their soups. And while Soup ‘n’ Burger might not be the most glamorous place to dine at, all of their soups are super affordable, ranging from $6 to $8.

Tatsu Ramen  

167 First Ave. $$

If you don’t eat ramen frequently, are you even a college student? But sometimes, eating Cup Noodles out of a styrofoam cup makes you feel even worse when you’re sick (probably because of all of that sodium). Thankfully, Tatsu offers Tonkotsu ramen with flavors other than salt, simmered for 12-14 hours and served with your choice of melt-in-your-mouth pork chashu, chicken breast or organic tofu ($18). Tatsu’s menu is admittedly pricey, but everyone deserves to treat themselves while sick. 

Email Gaby Baldovino at [email protected].