Men’s Soccer Wins Fourth Straight, Moves Back to .500

Men’s golf tied for second on day one of their tournament this weekend. Women’s volleyball went 2-1. Both cross country teams ran in the Paul Short Invitational, and both soccer teams beat Case Western Reserve.
The+NYU+Men%E2%80%99s+soccer+team+warming+up+at+a+practice+on+Randall%E2%80%99s+Island.+%28Staff+Photo+by+Marva+Shi%29+
Marva Shi
The NYU Men’s soccer team warming up at a practice on Randall’s Island. (Staff Photo by Marva Shi)

Men’s Golf
After one day of the Liberty League Fall preview this weekend the Violets sat in second place. Their combined score of 302 on the par-72 course was second to the University of Rochester, which shot 299. NYU’s best golfer was CAS first-year Alan Chen, who tied for third place with a 74. Other top 20 golfers after day one were sixth-place Stern sophomore Joseph Burlison and Stern sophomore Chris Lee who both shot 75, and 15th-place GLS senior Matt Shen and Tisch junior Robbie Keyes, who both shot 78.

The team’s next meet is the Skidmore College Invitational next weekend.

Women’s Volleyball
The Violets went 2-and-1 this week, sweeping Hunter College on Thursday and Rochester on Sunday, but falling to Emory later on Sunday. The first of these matches was the best for NYU; an 8-0 run in the first as well as an 8-2 run in the second and a come from behind victory in the third won it for the Violets. 

Sunday was a mixed bag. The first match was an impressive sweep of Rochester, led by Stern first-year Haley Holz and Tisch Sophomore Abby Ausmus’ eight kills, Stern first-year Nicole Dao’s 14 assists and CAS junior Jacqueline Kupeli’s 13 digs. Later in the day though, the Violets fell to Emory in four, losing the first two 10-25 and 19-25, then winning the third 25-16 before losing the last, 17-25.

NYU takes the court again this Thursday, when they take on Montclair State at home. 

Men’s Cross Country
Men’s Cross Country competed in the Paul Short Invitational on Saturday. The men placed 15th in a meet with 44 teams, some of which were DI and DII. NYU’s best individual performance came from CAS junior Jonathan Sussman, who finished 42nd in the 8k race with a personal best time of 25:20.1. CAS senior Jack Lillian wasn’t far behind him, putting up a 25:22.0 race. 

The Violets next race will be this Friday at the Metropolitan Championships in the Bronx.

Women’s Cross Country
On the women’s side of the Paul Short Invitational, NYU finished the day in second place, with 157 points. This placed them just behind Haverford College, which had 157. Steinhardt first-year Siena Moran won the 6k race with a time of 21:52.4, and Violets CAS first-year Leah Haley and CAS first-year Milly Ames also had top 30 finishes in the 41-team, 342-runner field.

In their next meet, the women will join the men in the Bronx for the Metropolitan Championships on Friday.  

Women’s Soccer
The Violets opened UAA play on Saturday, beating 10th-ranked Case Western Reserve University 1-0. The electrifying double overtime win was the 100th for Head Coach Michele Canning. The game was a goalkeepers’ duel all throughout, with Stern junior Meghan Marhan posting her fifth shutout of the season. Case Western Reserve’s defense was the first to break in the 102nd minute, when Stern first-year Cora Creighton was tripped in the box, lining up a penalty kick for CAS sophomore Nikki Lee. Chosen for the lack of film the opponent had on her, Lee came through and won it for the Violets. NYU outshot the now one-loss Spartans 13-11 on the game and 6-4 in shots on goal. 

The team will next take the pitch at William Paterson University on Tuesday. 

Men’s Soccer
Men’s soccer is a .500 team again, with a decisive, 3-0 win against Case Western Reserve on Saturday. The Violets are now 4-4-1 and 1-0 in UAA play, while the Spartans are 5-4-2 and 0-1 in UAA play. NYU controlled the game going up 2-0 in the first half with a 10th-minute goal from Stern sophomore Isaiah Boyd and a free kick goal by SPS senior Sergio Monton in the last minute of the half. The Violets never looked back, with SPS senior Ben Green scoring the games final goal in the 73rd minute. Keeper and SPS first-year Luca Mancuso made eight saves and got his first career win. 

The Violet’s next match will also be UAA play, when they head to Pittsburgh to face Carnegie Mellon on Saturday. 

Email Benjamin Michael Davis at [email protected].