Weekly Sports Update: April 1 to April 8

via gonyuathletics.com

Stern junior Jack Walter in a game against RPI on April 8.

Warner Radliff and Bela Kirpalani, Deputy Sports Editors

Baseball

On April 3, Stern sophomore Cole Tait led the Violets to a thumping 13-7 win over the City College of New York going 5-for-5 at the plate with four extra base hits.

The NYU baseball team traveled to Troy, New York on April 7 for a doubleheader against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. The Violets won the first game 4-2, when pitcher and SPS senior Cameron Serapilio-Frank allowed seven hits and did not walk a batter while striking out four, raising his season record to 6-0 in the win. SPS first-year Gabe Golob struck out two while pitching a perfect ninth inning for his first career save.

NYU baseball recorded a resounding win over Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 16-2 in the second game. SPS junior Colman Hendershot and Stern junior Ryan McLaughlin recorded three hits and four RBIs, and four hits and four RBIs, respectively.

The Violets completed the sweep over Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, winning game three 15-1 on April 8, taking their record to 20-4.

NYU baseball returns to action on April 13 when it heads to Cleveland, Ohio, to begin a four-game University Athletic Association series against Case Western Reserve University.

Softball

NYU Softball defeated the College of Staten Island 7-4 on April 8.

The Violets started off hot, leading 6-0 by the sixth inning. CAS sophomore Mary Tindall recorded two home runs and five RBIs in the win.

The win takes NYU softball’s record to 10-6.

Men’s Golf

The men’s golf team finished fourth out of 15 teams at the Hershey Cup in Hershey, Pennsylvania on April 1. Although originally scheduled as a two day event, inclement weather conditions caused the tournament to be canceled following the first of three scheduled rounds.

GLS sophomore Matt Shen stood out for the Violets by finishing third out of 84 golfers given his three over par performance.

Over the weekend of April 7, the Violets hosted the NYU Invitational at the Forest Hill Field Club in Bloomfield, New Jersey. With only a six stroke differential, NYU claimed first place over Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

Three Violets finished in the top 10 with Tisch first-year Robbie Keyes tying for first, Shen tying for third and Stern first-year Patrick McNary tying for fifth.

The team will return to the links on April 27-29 to compete in the Liberty League Championship in Baldwinsville, New Jersey.

Women’s Tennis

The NYU women’s tennis remain undefeated at 6-0 after a narrow 5-4 victory over Brandeis University on April 7, at the Stadium Tennis Center in the Bronx.

Stern sophomores Rupa Ganesh and Judy Kam (third seed doubles) won 8-3 in the first doubles match, followed by a tight 8-6 victory by Stern first-year Anna Maria Buraya and CAS sophomore Coco Kulle (second seed doubles).

In singles, Buraya (first seed singles) defeated her opponent in two sets (6-4, 6-2). Stern junior Flyora Shiyanova followed up with a victory in third seed singles (6-2, 6-4). Kulle gave the Violets their fifth and final win of the matchup in a back-and-forth contest in second seed singles (6-2, 2-6, 6-2).

Men’s Tennis

The NYU men’s tennis team, playing in its first UAA match of the season, fell to Brandeis University in a 7-2 loss on April 7, at the Stadium Tennis Center in the Bronx.

NYU (2-4) got off to a strong start against Brandeis with Stern junior Benedict Teoh and Stern sophomore Michael Li winning the first match of the day in second seed doubles (8-5). CAS senior Umberto Setter had the only other win for the Violets, with a dominant performance in first seed singles (6-3, 6-1). Li had an impressive third seed singles match as well, mounting a comeback in the second set only to come up short in the third (6-3, 4-6, 6-4)

It was also simultaneously Family, Alumni and Senior Day for the Violets.

Men’s Track & Field

The men’s track and field team traveled to Princeton, New Jersey on April 6 to compete in the Sam Howell Invitational held at Princeton University.

Top 10 finishers for the Violets included a first place finish by SPS sophomore Julian Montilus in the 400-meter hurdles, fourth place finish by SPS senior Malcolm Montilus in the 400-meter sprint and ninth place finish by Stern senior Max Mudd in the 5000-meter run.

The Violets will compete next at the Coach P Invitational on April 4 at Moravian College in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.

Women’s Track & Field

The women’s track and field team competed against a field of Division I competition at the Sam Howell Invitational in Princeton, NJ on Friday, April 6.

Two Violets found their way into the top 10 of the 3000-meter steeplechase with Steinhardt seniors Morel Malcolm and Megan Davis finishing in eighth and ninth place, respectively.

Other standout performances by the Violets include CAS senior Hannah Haley placing ninth in the 5000-meter and Stern senior Brianna Yee taking sixth in the triple jump.

The Violets will return to competition on April 4 when they compete at the Coach P Invitational at Moravian College in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.

A version of this article was published in the Monday, April 9 print edition. Email the Sports desk at [email protected].