A Starving Artist’s Guide to Arts Events This Weekend: May 10 to 12

Stay entertained this weekend for $20 or less.
PEN America, the free expression nonprofit, presents the 15th annual World Voices Festival through May 12. (via Wikimedia)

It’s the last week of class and my final column of the semester. To celebrate the end of the school year and/or Mother’s Day — this Sunday, don’t forget to call your mom! — check out one of these arts and entertainment events.

“while(x): How to Write a Code Poem” at Pioneer Books, May 10

Learn how to use basic coding loops to create poetry with artist Lai Yi Ohlsen at the bookstore affiliated with Pioneer Works, the artist-run cultural center.

Time: 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Location: 289 Van Brunt St., Red Hook, Brooklyn
Price: Free with a suggested donation

Final days of “Anohni: Love” at The Kitchen, closing May 11

The innovative nonprofit cultural space hosts a new exhibition from the Oscar-nominated singer and visual artist Anohni, including painting, drawing, photography, sculpture and video. The “constellation of artwork underscores correlations between crises past and present,” and is in part a memorial to the late Dr. Julia Yasuda, an activist, academic and original co-founder of Anonhi’s band The Johnsons.

Time: Gallery hours 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Location: 512 W. 19th St., Manhattan [Chelsea]
Price: Free

PEN World Voices Festival at various locations, through May 12

PEN America, the free expression nonprofit, presents the 15th annual World Voices Festival, bringing writers and artists from around the world for a week of readings, panel discussions and conversations centered on human rights and free speech. Includes a daylong series of events celebrating NYU Creative Writing professor and Pulitzer Prize-winning poet Yusef Komunyakaa. Participants include writers like Masha Gessen, Arundhati Roy, Tara Westover, Patti Smith, Min Jin Lee, Dave Eggers, Jennifer Egan, Morgan Parker and Colm Tóibín, and NYU professors Sinan Antoon, Jenny Xie, Deborah Landau and Sharon Olds.

Time: Varies by event
Location: Varies by event
Price: Varies by event

“Murderous Mothers: A Dark Celebration of Mother’s Day” at Q.E.D., May 12

Join writer and tour guide Marie Carter for a lecture that blends humor and horror to tell the stories of murderous moms from times gone by.

Time: 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Location: 27-16 23rd Ave., Astoria, Queens
Price: $10

“A Great Week For Women: A Night of Humorous Readings” at Velvet Brooklyn, May 12

This monthly event brings together a group of some of the funniest female comedians working today to read some of their favorite pieces. In honor of Mother’s Day, this month’s theme is all things moms!

Time: 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Location: 174 Broadway, Williamsburg, Brooklyn
Price: $5 plus fees

“This Won’t Hurt: A Benefit for The Brooklyn Free Clinic” at The Bell House, May 12 (21+)

Benefiting the student-run Brooklyn Free Clinic, which addresses health disparities in the borough, this night of standup is hosted by Karen Chee and features comedians like Aparna Nancherla and Joe Castle Baker. SUNY Downstate’s student band, the p53’s, will play a show at 5:30 p.m., with the comedy starting at 7:00 p.m.

Time: Doors open at 5:00 p.m., show at 7:00 p.m.
Location: 149 Seventh St., Gowanus, Brooklyn
Price: Student ticket $15 plus fees

Email Alex Cullina at [email protected].