A Starving Artist’s Guide to Arts Events This Weekend: April 26 to 28

Stay entertained this weekend for $20 or less.
The Tisch School of the Arts hosts many majors that require in person instruction. Students at Tisch and other schools have begun to worry about the possibility of a virtual fall semester. (Photo by Alina Patrick)

Finals are just around the corner, and I know y’all are stressing — use one of these arts and entertainment events to get your mind off of that test stress and enjoy the wonderful weather!

West 10th Launch Reading at the Lillian Vernon Creative Writers House, April 26

The official literary journal for NYU’s undergraduate Creative Writing Program is celebrating the release of this semester’s issue with readings by student contributors and guest author Ken Chen, executive director of the Asian American Writers’ Workshop.

Time: 7 to 9 p.m.

Location: 58 W. 10th St., Manhattan [Greenwich Village]

Price: free

Independent Bookstore Day, April 27

This Saturday is the fifth annual iteration of this nationwide celebration of local, independent bookstores. Participating stores — including Greenlight Books, Books are Magic, Bluestockings, Forbidden Planet and many more — will have readings, special events and exclusive merchandise on sale. There is even an official Brooklyn bookstore crawl and after-party.

Time: all day

Location: various

Price: free

Car Free Earth Day, April 27

To celebrate Earth Day, the city is closing Broadway from Union Square to Times Square to car traffic and opening the thoroughfare to pedestrians. Six rest stops along the route will present environmental programming throughout the day.

Time: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.

Location: Broadway from 17th Street to 42nd Street

Price: free

The Broke People Play Festival Full Length Festival at the Tisch School of the Arts, April 27 to 28

The NYU student organization Broke People Theatre is putting on its final productions of the school year this weekend — four full-length plays written, produced and directed by NYU students.

Time: various

Location: 721 Broadway, Manhattan [Greenwich Village]

Price: varies from free to $5

Tribute to Barbara Hammer at the Film Society of Lincoln Center, April 28

Presented in memory of the late experimental lesbian filmmaker Barbara Hammer, this program features a screening of her short “Double Strength” and screenings of two tribute films by Lynne Sachs and Deborah Stratman. It also includes a Q&A with Sachs and Stratman.

Time: 12 to 12:35 p.m.

Location: 144 W. 65th St., Manhattan [Lincoln Center]

Price: free

“Storytelling Workshop: LGBTQ Nightlife Through the Years” at the Hudson Park Library, April 28

This workshop, part of the New York Public Library’s slate of programming celebrating 50 years since the Stonewall Riots, will give queer and trans folks a chance to share stories about their nightlife experiences.

Time: 3 to 5 p.m.

Location: 66 Leroy St., Manhattan [West Village]

Price: free

Email Alex Cullina at [email protected].