A Starving Artist’s Guide to Arts Events This Weekend: April 4 to 7

Stay entertained this weekend for $20 or less.
The Fusion Film Festival. (via Facebook)

Midterms are done with, and finals are still a ways away — or so I’d like to think. Why not enjoy the mid-semester lull — and the beautiful weather — by checking out one of these affordable arts and entertainment events?

Symposium on the History of Art at the Frick Collection April 5 – 6

Hosted by the Frick Collection and NYU’s Institute of Fine Arts, the annual Symposium features talks by graduate students on art of various forms, periods and places, from Renaissance Spain to 20th-century America. The event is free and open to the public, and includes light refreshments.

Time: various

Location: 1 East 70th St., Manhattan [Upper East Side]

Price: Free

“A.I.M: Live! The Realest MC” at the Skirball Center for the Performing Arts, through April 6

A part of NYU’s Stonewall 50, a slew of programming celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots, “A.I.M: Live! The Realest MC” is an ensemble movement piece that interrogates black masculinity and gender roles. It is choreographed by the celebrated Kyle Abraham, a MacArthur “Genius” Grant recipient and Tisch M.F.A alumnus.

Time: various

Location: 566 LaGuardia Pl., Manhattan [Greenwich Village]

Price: $15 for NYU students

Fusion Film Festival at NYU, through April 6

NYU’s 17th annual Fusion Film Festival highlights women in film, television and new media over three days of screenings, panels, talks and competitions. Friday features a masterclass with visual artist Shirin Neshat, and Saturday includes a movement workshop with director Josephine Decker (“Madeline’s Madeline”) and the Fusion Competition screening and award ceremony.

Time: various

Location: various

Price: Free

Target First Saturday: Frida Kahlo at the Brooklyn Museum, April 6

Celebrating its current exhibit, “Frida Kahlo: Appearances Can Be Deceiving,” the Brooklyn Museum’s monthly night of free programming is sure to be a blast. The evening kicks off at 5 p.m. with a performance by singer-songwriter Renee Goust and includes events like a community talk on art and disability at 6 p.m. and a performance by Latinx drag collective Yas Mama! at 7:30 p.m. Admission to “Frida Kahlo: Appearances Can Be Deceiving” not included.

Time: 5:00 p.m.

Location: 200 Eastern Parkway, Brooklyn [Prospect Heights]

Price: Free

MoCCA Arts Festival at Metropolitan West, April 6 – 7

This yearly festival, first held at the now-shuttered Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art and now put on by the Society of Illustrators, is Manhattan’s largest independent comics, cartoon and animation event. The weekend of talks, screenings and workshops — featuring artists like cartoonists Liana Finck and Emily Flake of The New Yorker — also includes hundreds of artists tabling their work.

Time: 11 a.m. both days

Location: 639 W. 46th St., Manhattan [Hell’s Kitchen]

Price: $10 per day

“Janeane Garofalo Has Guests” at Littlefield, April 7 (21+)

The iconic comedienne hosts a showcase of some of the best stand-ups working today, including Phoebe Robinson of “Two Broke Girls” and Josh Gondelman, writer for “Desus & Mero.” Be sure to grab your tickets soon and get to the venue early to get a good spot.

Time: doors at 6:30 p.m., show at 7:00 p.m.

Location: 635 Sackett St., Brooklyn [Gowanus]

Price: $8 plus fees in advance, $10 plus fees day-of

Email Alex Cullina at [email protected].