A Starving Artist’s Guide to Arts Events This Weekend: Feb. 14 to 17

Stay entertained this weekend for $20 or less.
Neshla Caplan and Adam Kashmiry in “ADAM,” running at the Skirball Center for the Performing Arts Feb. 14 – 16. (Photo courtesy of the Skirball Center)

This Valentine’s Day weekend, whether you’re single and looking for something to take your mind off of romance or you’re having trouble thinking of a fun, outside-the-box date-night idea, we’ve got you covered.

“ADAM” at the Skirball Center for the Performing Arts Feb. 14 – 16
The National Theatre of Scotland presents the North American premiere of this theater piece, based on the life of star Adam Kashmiry, a transgender man born in Egypt. It features a virtual choir of trans and non-binary people from around the world.
Location: 566 LaGuardia Pl., Manhattan (Greenwich Village)
Time: 7:30 p.m.
Price: $15 for NYU students

“The Library After Hours: Love & Resistance” at the NYPL Stephen A. Schwarzman Building, Feb. 15 (21+)
Enjoy a night of talks, music and trivia to celebrate the opening of the Library’s exhibition “Love & Resistance: Stonewall 50,” celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots. The reception will feature a Drag Queen Story Hour, listening stations from the NYC Trans Oral History Project and after-hours access to the exhibition.
Location: 476 Fifth Ave., Manhattan (Midtown)
Time: 7 p.m.
Price: pay what you wish, suggested donation $15

“Tinder Live! with Lane Moore” at Littlefield, Feb. 16 (21+)
Named one of the best comedy shows in NYC by The New York Times, New York Magazine and Time Out New York, join host Lane Moore as she swipes through Tinder live on stage. She’s joined this week by Jo Firestone, Jean Grae and Sam Grittner.
Location: 635 Sackett St., Brooklyn (Gowanus)
Time: Doors open at 8 p.m., show at 8:30 p.m.
Price: $15

“The Art of Return” at Caveat, Feb. 17 (21+)
This monthly event showcases formerly incarcerated people presenting their artistic work, including poetry, music and film. February’s installment, devoted entirely to work by formerly incarcerated women, includes a conversation between host and journalist Allen Arthur and activist Elaine Bartlett.
Location: 21 A Clinton St., Manhattan (Lower East Side)
Time: doors at 3:30 p.m., event at 4 p.m.
Price: $10 in advance, $12 at the door

“#ADULTING with Michelle Buteau and Jordan Carlos” at Union Hall, Feb. 17 (21+)
Comedians Michelle Buteau and Jordan Carlos welcome a changing slate of guests to talk about the trials and tribulations of adulthood. Early show features Hari Kondabolu, Yamaneika Saunders and Heléne Yorke; late show features Saunders, Sam Jay and Joyelle Nicole.
Location: 702 Union St., Brooklyn (Park Slope)
Time: early show: doors at 4:30 p.m., show at 5 p.m.; late show: doors at 7 p.m., show at 7:30 p.m.
Price: $10

Email Alex Cullina at [email protected].