A Starving Artist’s Guide to Arts Events This Weekend: Nov. 2 to Nov. 4

Stay entertained this weekend for $20 or less.
A photo of “Canstruction” at Brookfield Place in 2014. (via artsbrookfield.com)

It’s that time of the week again, and although Halloween is over, the city still has plenty to offer in the way of fun and entertainment. And even if your budget took a hit over the holiday, there’s a bevy of affordable art waiting around every corner. So this weekend, kick your post-Halloween blues and check out some of these arts events.

PoetryFest (Nov. 2-4, free-$15)

The Irish Arts Center hosts the 10th annual iteration of this acclaimed poetry festival, presented in association with NYU’s Glucksman Ireland House. The opening night on Friday features guests, including NYU Professor Zadie Smith and author and co-host of “Top Chef” Padma Lakshmi, reading some of their favorite poems. Saturday and Sunday will be made up of readings from poets like Ben Lerner, Nicole Sealey and former State Poet of New York Marie Howe. Tickets for Friday range from $15 to $40 and include admission to an after-party with the poets; admission to Saturday and Sunday’s readings are free, but reservations are strongly encouraged.

Canstruction at Brookfield Place (Nov. 2-15, free — but bring canned food to donate)

What do you get what you combine architects, charity, competition and canned food? Canstruction! An exhibit featuring work from this year’s New York City Canstruction competition is opening this weekend at Brookfield Place in the financial district. The exhibit opens Nov. 2 and will remain open to the public until Nov. 15 from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. every day. The canned food masterpiece exhibit is free, but visitors are asked to bring canned food to donate to City Harvest.

Kweku Collins at SOB’s (Nov. 3, $15)

Hailing from Evanston, Illinois, 21-year-old rapper Kweku Collins has a sound that melts dreamy synth and fuzzy trap beats with casual rap flow. This Saturday, Collins is playing at SOB’s in Greenwich Village. Doors open at 7 p.m. and the show starts at 8 p.m. Rappers Joseph Chilliams and Lexxy are opening.

Electoral Dysfunction: Political Comedy Show (Nov. 3, $7.50)

Midterm elections are this Tuesday, so get pumped to hit the polls with some political comedy this weekend. This Saturday, Electoral Dysfunction: Political Comedy is returning to St. Marks. The show, which will begin at 5 p.m., combines sketches, stand-up, improv and panel discussions.

Target First Saturday at Brooklyn Museum (Nov. 3, free)

On the first Saturday of every month, Brooklyn Museum offers free admission after 5 p.m. for a night of art, music and entertainment. This month’s focus is the exhibition “Soul of a Nation: Art in the Age of Black Power,” featuring live musical performances by Antoine Drye, Jaime Lee Lewis and collective blaKbüshe. The exhibit also has pop-up poetry and talks, including a community talk with the Black Art Futures Fund.

Macbeth Presented by West 4th Stage Company (Nov. 4, $10)

This Sunday, NYU’s own West 4th Stage Company is putting on a production of the Shakespeare classic Macbeth. Directed by Zachary Elkind, the show will run twice — once at 2:30 p.m. and later at 6 p.m. — in Pless Hall on Washington Square. Reserve your ticket in advance online and pay the $10 fee at the door — cash or Venmo accepted.

Email Ali Zimmerman at [email protected] and Alex Cullina at [email protected]