Weekly Sports Update: Sept. 2 to Sept. 8

Sam Klein

First-year Valentina House competes in the Vassar Ron Stonitsch Invitational, where she placed 3rd overall.

Bela Kirpalani, Editor at Large

Men’s Soccer
The men’s soccer team defeated State University of New York at New Paltz on Saturday 2-1, thanks to a goal from Stern first-year Pablo Vargas in the final minute. NYU took the lead in the first half when Stern first-years Oliver Kleban and Louis Meeks combined for Kleban’s second goal of the season. Goalkeeper and CAS senior Grant Engel recorded five saves in his second win of the season.

The Violets won their third straight game on Sunday, defeating Bard College 2-1. Kleban scored his third goal of the season to give NYU the lead before Stern sophomore Matteo Russo scored his first goal of the season to double their advantage.

The Violets’ record now stands at 3-1-0.

NYU will take on John Jay College on Sept. 12 at 4 p.m.

Women’s Soccer
The women’s soccer team suffered its first loss of the season against Stevens Institute of Technology on Sept. 7, falling 2-0. Both goals for SIT came in the first half, and the Violets were unable to find their way back into the game.

The Violets lost 3-0 to Swarthmore College on Sept. 9. Following the loss, the women’s soccer team’s record is now 2-2-0.

The team will return to action against The City College of New York on Sept. 12 at 7 p.m.

Women’s Volleyball
The women’s volleyball team lost its first match of the season against SIT in three straight sets (25-16, 25-19, 25-21) on Sept. 5.

The Violets split two matches at the York-Spartan Invitational at York College in Pennsylvania on Sept. 7, winning against Gallaudet University, before losing to Elizabethtown College. NYU defeated Gallaudet in three sets (25-10, 25-16, 25-22), and Gallatin sophomore Kate Glavan and CAS senior Nazzerine Waldon both finished with a team-high seven kills. In the second match, Elizabethtown won in straight sets (25-22, 25-19, 25-23), but Waldon again led the team with seven kills.

On the second day of the invitational, the Violets faced off against Haverford College and Johns Hopkins University. NYU defeated Haverford in four sets (25-17, 23-25, 25-20, 25-20). In the win, CAS first-year Gretchen Kincade totaled 14 kills while Tandon first-year Stella Alverson led the squad with 20 assists. In the second match of the day, NYU lost to Johns Hopkins University in straight sets (25-14, 25-17, 25-14).

The Violets will be back on the court on Sept. 11 at 7 p.m. when they visit the College of New Rochelle.

Men’s Cross Country
NYU men’s cross country finished in fourth place at the Vassar Ron Stonitsch Invitational on Sept. 8 in Poughkeepsie, N.Y.

CAS junior Yuji Kusick was NYU’s top finisher, taking 19th place with a time of 20:30.7 in the 6K race. Fellow Violet and Tisch first-year Malcolm Silver-Van Meter was not far behind, placing 21st with a time of 20:35.2.

The men’s cross country team returns to action at the Bill Fritz Invitational at Rowan University on Sept. 15.

Women’s Cross Country
NYU women’s cross country also finished in fourth place at the Vassar Ron Stonitsch Invitational on Sept. 8 in Poughkeepsie, N.Y.

Gallatin first-year Valentina House led the team for the second consecutive week with a third-place finish and a time of 19:22.6 in the 5K course.

The Violets will compete at the Bill Fritz Invitational at Rowan University
on Sept. 15.

Women’s Golf
The NYU women’s golf team, which was ranked fourth in the nation after the 2017-18 season, showed no signs of slowing down as it kicked off the new season in style at the two-round St. Lawrence Invitational in Canton, N.Y. on Sept. 8 to 9.

After shooting a team-record 293 at the St. Lawrence Invitational on Saturday, the Violets maintained their lead and captured first place after shooting 299 on Sunday. CAS junior Jenni Bluetling led the tournament with a two-round total of 146, while SPS junior Patty Treevichapan and Stern junior Arshia Mahant tied for second place each with totals of 149.

NYU returns to the course on Sept. 22 to 23 at the Mount Holyoke Invitational in South Hadley, Mass.

Men’s Golf
The NYU men’s golf team also captured first place at the St. Lawrence Invitational on Sunday after it totaled 599 over two rounds.

Stern first-year Joseph Burlison finished second in the tournament with a two-day total of 147. Meanwhile, Tisch first-year Robbie Keyes finished tied for third place with 149.

The Violets travel next to Middlebury, Vt. for the Duke Nelson Invitational on Sept. 15 to 16.

Women’s Tennis
The women’s tennis team opened its 2018-19 season at the Lions’ Kickoff Tournament hosted by The College of New Jersey on Sept. 8, in Ewing, N.J.

Stern junior Flyora Shiyanova and LS first-year Kate Shaffer, seeded second and fifth respectively, recorded NYU’s only victories in the first round against TCNJ. Shiyanova lost her first set 6-7, before coming back to win the next two 6-3 and 10-7, while Shaffer dominated in a 6-3, 6-1 win.

In the second round against the University of the Sciences, the Violets took three out of the six matches. Shiyanova led the way with her second win of the day, narrowly defeating her opponent 7-5, 7-6. First-seeded CAS sophomore Coco Kulle earned her first win of the day with a 6-2, 6-4 triumph over her opponent, while sixth-seeded CAS junior Ayesha Das secured NYU’s final victory of the round with a dominant 6-2, 6-2 match.

NYU will play in the Vassar Scramble on Sept. 15 to 16 in Poughkeepsie, N.Y.

A version of this article was published in the Monday, Sept. 10 print edition. Email Bela Kirpalani at [email protected].