College Republicans to Host Former Trump Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci

Mack DeGeurin, News Editor

Anthony Scaramucci — who gained notoriety last summer after an inflammatory departure just 10 days into his stint as President Donald Trump’s White House communications director — will speak at an event hosted by the NYU College Republicans on April 5.

As previously reported by NYU Local co-Editor-in-Chief Sam Raskin, Scaramucci is scheduled to speak at 7 p.m. at 5 Washington Pl.

NYUCR released a statement announcing the Scaramucci event on their Facebook page on March 22.

Scaramucci, known as “The Mooch” by politicians and journalists, served in the White House from July 21 to July 31, 2017. A high profile millionaire and founder of the hedge fund SkyBridge Capital, Scaramucci had not held any position in government before his brief tenure with with the Trump administration. He had also never worked in press communications prior to being named White House Communications Director.

Midway through his employment, Scaramucci entered the spotlight after the release of an interview with New Yorker reporter Ryan Lizza. Lizza reported that Scaramucci said he would “f-cking kill all the [White House] leakers,” called former White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus a “f-ucking paranoid schizophrenic”, and accused former White House Chief Strategist Steve Bannon of, sucking his own c-ck, — all while on the record.

NYUCR has a history of featuring high profile conservative speakers. While most are welcomed without incident, NYUCR made national headlines in 2017 after protesters disrupted at an event where Vice Media co-founder Gavin McInnes spoke. Before the event, one protester pepper sprayed McInnes in the face.

Eleven people were reportedly arrested that night outside of the Kimmel Center for Student Life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izLJlkiTxVA

Despite Scaramucci’s previous ties to the Trump administration, the College Republicans do not expect security issues for the event.

NYU College Republicans have had a strong year boasting many qualified and interesting speakers come to address our club without any major protests or altercations this year,” NYUCR Media Director and CAS senior Shiwhan Kim told WSN over Facebook Messenger.We firmly believe that the current political climate will not have an effect on the continued security and safety of both speakers and students at our events. NYU College Republicans has taken great care to vet our speakers so that the safety of our club members is never a concern, and we are proud to host Mr. Scaramucci in one of our events in the near future.”

Kim said that all speakers must be approved by the Student Activities Board at NYU. From there, the NYUCR executive board also conducts their own background research on speakers.

“NYU College Republicans has great trust in the NYU administration and have no doubts that any and all measures to keep attendees safe will occur,” Kim said.

Email Mack DeGeurin at [email protected].