Ryan Kawahara

Ryan Kawahara, Web Director

Ryan Kawahara is a sophomore at Tandon majoring in Integrated Design and Media. He’s a huge movie and history buff as well as an avid runner and tennis player. He enjoys creative coding but also gets made fun of a lot for not having Instagram and for stopping to read all the historical plaques in New York City.

All content by Ryan Kawahara
Queen Elizabeth II’s burgundy red Jaguar Land Rover hearse passes by crowds. Behind the hearse’s clear glass window lies the late queen’s decorated oak coffin.

Photo: NYU London shuts down for queen's funeral

Sep 26, 2022

Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral took place on Sept. 19. The queen’s coffin was transported by the state hearse and started in Westminster Hall to Westminster Abbey. (Ryan Kawahara...

A billboard commemorating Queen Elizabeth II behind Tottenham Court Road Station.

Photo: Queen Elizabeth II’s death may affect NYU London operations

Edward Franco, Video Director Sep 9, 2022

A billboard in London announcing the passing of Queen Elizabeth II. (Ryan Kawahara for WSN)

Fourth floor at GCASL. (Staff Photo by Mayee Yeh)

Your guide to NYU’s Quick Stops

Because no one wants to eat outside in the cold.
The Culture Desk and Ryan Kawahara Feb 7, 2022

Sometimes you need a bite between classes without getting yelled at to put your mask back on. NYU’s Quick Stops aren’t much, but at least you can have a few moments to eat...

The 2021-22 season has not only been full of drama, but it also brought a rule change on fouls. The new rule makes it harder for an offensive player to deliberately draw a foul. (Staff Illustration by Ryan Kawahara, Images via Wikimedia Commons)

Photo: New season, new rules, new era for the NBA?

Nov 22, 2021

The 2021-22 season has not only been full of drama, but it also brought a rule change on fouls. The new rule makes it harder for an offensive player to deliberately draw a foul....

Ranked: Student lounges

Ranked: Student lounges

Because there are places to study other than Kimmel or Bobst.
Lorraine Olaya and Ryan Kawahara Nov 15, 2021

Forty-degree weather means it’s time to find an on-campus spot to chill at for the winter instead of shivering in Washington Square Park. Whether you need to do homework, meet...

The 2021-2022 NBA season commenced on Oct. 19. With the start of the new season comes a lot of drama. (Staff Illustration by Ryan Kawahara, Images via Wikimedia Commons)

Photo: Keeping up with the NBA: the 75th anniversary

Mitesh Shrestha, Sports Editor Nov 11, 2021

A $1 million grant has been issued to NYU professors Debra Laefer and Rae Zimmerman for the study of underground infrastructure in response to climate change. Laefer, a Tandon engineering professor, and Zimmerman, a professor of public administration, now co-lead the Unification for Underground Resilience Measures project. (Staff Photo by Ryan Kawahara)

Photo: After disastrous storms, NYU wins $1M grant to study subsurface NYC infrastructure

Nov 9, 2021

A $1 million grant has been issued to NYU professors Debra Laefer and Rae Zimmerman for the study of underground infrastructure in response to climate change. Laefer, a Tandon...

New York City’s vaccine mandate for municipal workers led to a protest march on Monday. Paramedics, police officers, firefighters and other municipal workers voiced their opposition to the mandate through signs, speeches and chants. (Staff Photo by Ryan Kawahara)

City workers storm Brooklyn Bridge protesting vaccine mandate

The group marched across the Brooklyn Bridge to City Hall on Monday afternoon in opposition to New York City’s vaccine mandate for municipal employees. 
Rachel Cohen, Rachel Fadem, and Ryan Kawahara Oct 26, 2021

Thousands of protesters marched across the Brooklyn Bridge into Manhattan on Monday afternoon to oppose New York City’s vaccine mandate for its municipal workers.  The group...

Arts activism group Confront Art repainted their statue of George Floyd after it was vandalized on Oct. 3. The statue is part of the SEEINJUSTICE installation, which memorializes key figures from the 2020 racial injustice protests. (Staff Photo by Ryan Kawahara)

Photo: Union Square statue of George Floyd vandalized two days after unveiling

Abby Wilson, Contributing Writer Oct 13, 2021

The SEEINJUSTICE installation also commemorates Breonna Taylor and John Lewis. (Staff Photo by Ryan Kawahara)

The Roosevelt Island Lighthouse, built in 1872, is a sight to see on Roosevelt Island. (Staff Photo by Ryan Kawahara)

Photo: Ten ways to enjoy fall in the city

The Culture Desk Sep 30, 2021

(Staff Photo by Ryan Kawahara)

Photo: NYU student shot on Brooklyn campus

Arnav Binaykia Sep 21, 2021

(Staff Photo by Ryan Kawahara)

Joe’s Pizza has been attracting New Yorkers and celebrities since the shop’s opening in 1975. (Staff Photo by Ryan Kawahara)

Photo: 10 food spots under $12

Gabby Lozano, Dining Editor Sep 8, 2021

The Tandon School of Engineering is located in Brooklyn. Facebook disabled several accounts and pages associated with a Tandon political advertising research project. (Staff Photo by Ryan Kawahara)

Photo: Facebook disables accounts used by NYU political advertising researchers

Aug 4, 2021

The Tandon School of Engineering is located in Brooklyn. Facebook disabled several accounts and pages associated with a Tandon political advertising research project. (Staff Photo...

Spirulia can be used as the base ingredient for smoothie or healthy nutritious snacks. (Photo by Ryan Kawahara)

Photo: How an NYU Tandon alumnus is growing the sustainable superfood spirulina

Gabby Lozano, Dining Editor Apr 22, 2021

NYU Tandon School of Engineerings undergraduate Teaching Assistants have gone on strike. The TAs responsible for course EG 1003 are demanding better working conditions. (Photo by Ryan Kawahara)

Photo: Teaching assistants at Tandon on strike

Apr 7, 2021

NYU Tandon School of Engineering's undergraduate Teaching Assistants have gone on strike. The TAs responsible for course EG 1003 are demanding better working conditions. (Photo...