Laurence & Chico F/W 2017

Shira Tarlo, Contributing Writer

For their fourth season, Canadian design duo Laurence Li and Chico Wang envisaged the artistic interpretation of dreams. The Fall/Winter 2017 collection was inspired by a flight Li and Wang took from Vancouver to New York. In an interview with Li, he described the collection as dreamy and airy, and said the pieces were designed around function and comfort.

“Everything’s a dream on the flight,” Li said.

In step with their previous collections, the designers featured bold prints and patterns. Models wore puffy pink tea length dresses with matching slippers and delicate silk dresses decorated with small pearls over black turtlenecks. Bright kimonos and a two-piece tracksuit covered in cartoons also made an appearance.

All of the models wore “square heads”  boxy wigs that stood tall on the models’ heads. Li laughed and explained that this was meant to illustrate how they felt on the flight. The designers are known for finding inspiration from their daily lives and incorporating their sense of humor into their work.

Though the designers’ pieces were perhaps more soft and practical than before, their pieces weren’t necessarily functional. It’s hard to imagine that fashionistas will be trading in their tracksuits and laid back denim for extravagant silk dresses and skirts in airports across the world anytime soon, but the fashion world is full of surprises, so we’re ready for take off.

Email Shira Tarlo at [email protected].