Asia Fashion Collection Fall/Winter 2014

Click on image for more looks from Asia Fashion Collection F/W

Asia Fashion Collection graced the catwalk with a stunning variety of original creations. Presenting looks ranging from whimsical to avant-garde, the six budding designers exhibited pieces guaranteed to amaze any fashion aficionado.

An incubation project produced by Vantan and PARCO, AFC commits itself to showcasing Asia-based designers to an American audience. Only a select few talented young designers are chosen to display their work on the Lincoln Center runway.

This year, the Asian-based brands included within the collection were Vianad, R-SHEMISTE, HANG, is, AUSTIN W., and SEi. Each fresh-faced designer showcased his or her creativity in refreshingly unique ways.

Vianad, designed by Maaku Suzuki, opened the show with a sensual French track that perfectly complemented the romantic feel of the collection. Standout features included Baroque inspired prints and ladylike shapes. Colors were kept delicate with light pinks, baby blues, beiges and the occasional pop of mustard. Overall, Vianad’s looks were delicate, pretty and highly wearable.

Next to walk the runway were the designs of R-SHEMISTE. Cosmopolitan and slightly edgy, this label transformed classic separates such as baseball jackets and ribbed turtlenecks into “it girl” staples. Adhering to a black and white color scheme, designer Won Ji Yeun drew attention to the contrasting textures of each piece. A number of the brand’s looks also featured a memorable skyline detailing that was sure to catch the attention of the metropolitan fashionista.

Proceeding R-SHEMISTE on the catwalk was HANG, a label created by Hong Kong based designer Mim Mak. Purposefully designed with functionality in mind, Mak’s collection came accommodated with easily accessible pockets. Daring asymmetrical shapes created from wool were kept wearable in classic black and ivory. Mak’s collection perfectly demonstrated the skillfulness required in creating fashion-forward, yet practical clothing. Mak noted this as a particular focus when she was designing the collection.

“Balance is key because fashion is not just art. I’m thinking about daily living,” said Mak.

Following shortly behind HANG were the designs of Akiko Kishimoto’s brand, “is.” Many of Kishimoto’s creations featured black leather paired with sheer white blouses. A standout trademark of the “is” collection was the Petro Bruegel inspired prints. These prints balanced the tough-as-nails collection with a hint of whimsicality.

The penultimate label to present at the AFC show was Tzu-Yun Wu’s brand, AUSTIN W. As Wu’s models took to the runway clad in cocoon and A-line shapes, a soothing string and piano piece played overhead. The designer noted the idea of home as the inspiration behind his collection. Wu incorporated warm colors such as yellow and gold to create the impression of comfort.

Closing the show were the eclectic designs of Yumiko Sei’s eponymous label, SEi. Each look featured a complex layering of multi-color knit separates that were not created for the fashion-meek.

Faced with the challenge of creating a look that would complement all of the collections, MAC makeup artist Romero Jennings stuck to a clean, soft face. Rather than piling on a heavy contour, Jennings focused on two key features, what he referred to as “the two Bs [of beauty]: brows and blush.”

Overall, the designers of the Fall/Winter 2014 Asia Fashion Collection presented pieces tailored to many different styles. With such a bright future ahead, fashion lovers worldwide should look forward to what these budding labels create next.

Katie Halpern is a contributing writer. Email her at [email protected].