Dorm intruder caught at Third North, escorted to nearby hospital

A trespasser unaffiliated with NYU bypassed security and entered an unlocked dorm at Third Avenue North residence hall Sunday night before being removed from the scene by police and Campus Safety officers.
Third Avenue North is located at 75 3rd Ave. (Manasa Gudavalli for WSN)

An intruder entered an unlocked dorm at NYU’s Third Avenue North residence hall at around midnight Monday after running through the lobby and jumping the turnstile, according to an email to residents from the Office of Residential Life and Housing Services.

The trespasser, who Residential Life and Housing said is unaffiliated with the university, bypassed security at the dorm’s 12th St. entrance before entering a student’s room on the third floor. The intruder, who was seen yelling in the residence hall’s courtyard unclothed, was escorted out of the building 40 minutes later and transported to a nearby hospital, according to the email.

Matt Shelosky, associate director of communications and engagement, said a Campus Safety officer on the scene immediately alerted the New York City Police Department, and that additional Campus Safety officers were sent to the residence hall in a statement to WSN. 

Amanda Fine, a first-year Third North resident, said the intruder chased her roommate in the courtyard. Fine said the intruder eventually made their way to the residence hall’s third floor, where she and her friends were looking for a place to hide.

“Security didn’t do much,” Fine said. “He seemed to be easy to get, but security was just watching. I was on the floor he was on for a while and no one was coming, and I was a little confused about why no one was coming.”

Last November, a string of intruder incidents hit university residence halls, with trespasses taking place at Third North, Alumni Hall, Coral Tower and Lafayette Hall. In April 2022, a trespasser entered Rubin Hall multiple times over the course of a week, having stayed the night twice according to student accounts. Campus Safety head Fountain Walker apologized for the Rubin incident a few days later.

Following the breaches to dorm security, former NYU president Andrew Hamilton ordered a full-scale review of safety protocols and procedures in university residence halls. As a result of the review, the Department of Campus Safety posted additional security guards at NYU dorms and installed new surveillance cameras across the housing system. The investigation also led to the installation of more secure turnstiles and a planned redesign of Rubin Hall’s lobby.

Shelosky said the trespass incident will be recorded in Campus Safety’s Daily Crime Log in compliance with the Clery Act, a federal law that requires universities to report certain crimes on campus within 48 hours of an incident taking place.

Krish Dev contributed reporting.

Contact Yezen Saadah at [email protected].

Yezen Saadah
Yezen Saadah, Deputy Managing Editor
Yezen Saadah is a sophomore studying cinema studies, journalism and Middle Eastern studies. He's a lover of cinema, history, art and literature, and he enjoys writing about pretty much anything. If he isn't in the newsroom or at the movies, he's probably just trying to enjoy his day off. Contact him on Instagram @yezen.saadah, Twitter @yezen_saadah and — most importantly — Letterboxd @Yezen, or just send tips to [email protected].
Manasa Gudavalli, Editor-in-Chief
Manasa Gudavalli is a super senior studying a super strange combination of psychology, mathematics, journalism, and chemistry. When they are not editing the Washington Square News, they are probably reading Freud, watching college football, or developing film photos. You can find them on Instagram @manasa.gudavalli and @gudavalli.photography.

• B

Bob katzOct 31, 2023 at 12:51 pm

Thankfully there were no injuries. This should never have occurred. NYU is simply too big and the bigger you get the more problems occur and the administration cannot handle these problems. Student safety is a top priority and much more difficult in a large city.

• G

G. JonasOct 31, 2023 at 12:08 pm

NYU has repeatedly proved itself irresponsible when it comes to the safety of its students. It’s appalling. And this on the heels of Pres. Hamilton putting out an email not two weeks ago saying he was on top of the security situation at NYU. Get your act together, Mr. Hamilton. Care enough about your students to protect them.