Saturday, Apr 19, 2014 01:25 pm est

Prevent winter weather from ruining footwear

Posted on February 12, 2014 | by Sam Del Rowe

via Flickr.com

Winter in New York City means your shoes will take a beating. After every snowstorm, the slush inevitably piles up at street corners, creating murky, gray puddles that appear solid and can be stepped in accidentally. Additionally, the spread of salt on sidewalks can cause discoloration and other damage to your shoes. Luckily, there are many options in terms of repairing existing footwear and alternatives to your everyday shoes to prepare you for the remainder of winter.

The best shoes for this kind of weather are waterproof boots. Options for waterproof yet stylish boots for men include classic brands such as Timberland and Red Wings. Traditionally, these brands produce work boots, so their products will withstand the most adverse weather. Red Wings’ 815 Men’s 8-inch boot exemplifies how waterproof attire can still be stylish ($285). Red Wings are expensive, but they last when cheaper options fail. When investing in boots, especially in this price range, make sure that the soles are rubber, not plastic.

Rubber soles offer better traction in slippery conditions and will not wear out as quickly as plastic soles.

For women, a classic Hunter boot  ($135) will keep your feet dry and last you a lifetime. These durable, all-rubber rain boots are perfect for any rainy or snowy day.

If you want to repair previously damaged shoes or boots, there are two essential products to have.

Bear Grease can be used to clean, revitalize and waterproof damaged leather ($7.49). Remove any dirt from footwear using a shoe brush before applying the product. Use a cloth to apply the grease and then leave the footwear in a warm place overnight.

If your shoes are falling apart, particularly if the soles are separating, try Shoe Goo ($6). Prepare your shoes by cleaning the area that needs repair. Apply the Goo to both surfaces, press them together and attach rubber bands around the shoe. Leave the shoe to sit for at least 24 hours, checking to make sure it has not separated again.

Both Bear Grease and Shoe Goo are inexpensive options for repairing damaged shoes. However, these products work best on boots and leather footwear and may not work well on other types of shoes, such as sneakers.

The weather will not change anytime soon, and salt and slush have a way of lingering. If you follow these tips, you and your shoes will be better prepared for winter in the city.

A version of this article appeared in the Wednesday, Feb. 12 print edition. Sam Del Rowe is a staff writer. Email him at bstyle@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
Tatiana Baez

Assistant Managing Editor | A CAS junior, Tatiana is studying journalism, environmental science and politics. She’s a bomb editor, as well as the staff’s main source of entertainment because she sings along to every song after 12 a.m. She also writes about culture, science, technology and sex, and her work has been featured in VICE, Motherboard, Elite Daily, amNewYork and others. She enjoys eating Thai food, reading fiction and binge-watching Netflix.

And in case you were wondering how great she really is — “I just can’t get enough of Tatiana” is a direct quote from her EIC at WSN only moments ago.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next