Shots Fired Near Broadway and West 3rd, No Injuries Reported

Veronica Liow
The shots were fired on the same street as the NYU Bookstore.

Updated 12:25 p.m.

Shots were fired near Broadway and West 3rd St. — a few minutes away from the NYU Bookstore, NYU’s 194 Mercer St. and the Washington Square Park campus — late last night, with no injuries reported, according to NYU Public Safety.

No arrests have been made at this time, although the NYPD is actively investigating the situation, according to an email sent to students by Senior Vice President for Campus Services and Safety Marlon Lynch.

Around 1 a.m., Public Safety advised members of the NYU community to avoid the area in a tweet.

This follows a shooting yesterday near NYU Tandon’s 6 MetroTech, after which all suspects were apprehended.

“New York is America’s safest large city, with a police department that has achieved record drops in crime,” NYU spokesperson John Beckman said in a statement to WSN. “It would be highly unusual for the NYU community to hear of one episode of gunfire near its facilities, much less two unrelated occurrences over a 24 hour period. We are grateful that there were no injuries to members of the NYU community or others, and we appreciate the swift response by police.”

If you have information regarding the incident, please contact NYPD at (800) 577-TIPS or NYU Public Safety at (212) 998-2222.

This story is developing and will be updated.

Email Victor Porcelli at [email protected].