A Starving Artist’s Guide to Halloweekend: Oct. 26 to Oct. 31

Face it, you’re too old for trick-or-treating. Try out one of our spooky recs.
An image promoting the Halloween Game Expo. (Courtesy of Playcrafting NYC)

Halloweekend is upon us, which means come Friday the city streets will be flooded with ghosts and witches, vampires and superheroes, and for the third year in a row, a bunch of Donald Trump impersonators. When it comes to Halloween, New York City goes all out, with stalwart favorites like the Village Halloween Parade and the Tompkins Square Dog Parade decades into their runs. But beyond these tried-and-true traditions, the Halloween possibilities in New York are almost endless, and many are super affordable. Make the most of your weekend and of the spooky night itself with these events.

Halloweird Comedy Hour — Friday Oct. 26 ($8)
This Friday, throw on your craziest Halloween costume and head out to Brooklyn for a night of oddball horror comedy. Halloweird Comedy Hour starts at 8 p.m. and will feature comedians from shows like Late Night with Stephen Colbert — Colbert himself, unfortunately, will not be there — and a live jazz trio.

Thou Wilt Scream — Friday, Oct. 26 ($12, 21+)
It is not uncommon for the audience to be hammered at comedy shows, but at Drunk Restoration Comedy, the performers are too. This Friday, they are putting on “Thou Wilt Scream” an interactive Halloween performance of Robert Price’s “Scream.” A combination of scripted performance, improv and drinking games, the spectacular begins at 10 p.m.

Halloween Dance Party and Horror Movie Marathon at Syndicated — Friday, Oct. 26 – Wednesday, Oct. 31 ($7-$15)
Syndicated, the Bushwick bar, restaurant and movie theater, is hosting a costume and dance party on Friday night with immersive, interactive visual projections by DJs the Hogstad Brothers. Tickets are $10 online and $15 at the door, with the music starting up at 8 p.m. And don’t forget to check out their marathon of cult and classic horror films, including the 1977 version of “Suspiria,” “Nightmare on Elm Street,” “The Ring” and “Drag Me to Hell.” Tickets are $7 per screening.

Trick or Treat: Halloween Game Expo — Saturday, Oct. 27 (Free)
To celebrate Halloween, local video game developers are taking over the Microsoft office in Times Square. Hosted by Playcrafting NYC, the event will take place from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. this Saturday. Come dressed in costume to be entered into the Expo costume contest.

a place both wonderful and strange presents Halloween in the Black Lodge at Elsewhere — Saturday, Oct. 27 ($10-$12)
A place most wonderful and strange, the “occult electronic doom dance” duo, host Halloween at the Black Lodge, a night of Twin Peaks- and David Lynch-inspired DJ sets and performances at Brooklyn’s Elsewhere. Costumes are encouraged, so be on the lookout for a Log Lady or two! Tickets are $10 online or $12 day of, with doors at 6 p.m.

Halloween Cover Show Party — Saturday, Oct. 27 ($12.26)
Nirvana, Deftones and No Doubt may be retired from the music scene, but you can still hear their music live in concert this weekend. This Saturday, Sunnyvale in Brooklyn is hosting a Halloween-themed cover show. Bands will cover popular alternative and grunge bands from the ’90s. Doors open at 8 p.m.

The Great PUPkin Dog Costume Contest at Fort Greene Park — Sunday, Oct. 28 (Free)
For you dog lovers out there, the 20th annual Great PUPkin Dog Costume Contest is sure to be the cutest event in New York City this Halloween. It will be held at Fort Greene Park in Brooklyn on Sunday. Costume judging starts at 11:30 a.m. Dogs must be registered to enter the competition, but all dogs and owners are welcome to watch for free.

Screening of “Little Shop of Horrors” Director’s Cut — Tuesday, Oct. 30 ($20)
A special screening of the director’s cut of “Little Shop of Horrors” is playing at the Schimmel Center at Pace University this Tuesday. The screening begins at 7:30 p.m. This rarely seen director’s cut with the original cast has an alternate, more frightening ending, so don’t miss your chance to see it.

The Ridgewood Asylum — until Nov. 1 ($10-$30)
Want to check out a good old-fashioned haunted house without breaking the bank? Then you’re in luck! For only $10 for a general admission ticket you can experience the the terror of the Ridgewood Asylum yourself. Put on by Ridgewood bar The Deep End, the Asylum promises to leave you quaking in your boots! With the $30 VIP ticket you can skip the line and get a free drink to boot. Open Tuesdays to Saturdays, 8 p.m. to 1 a.m., and Sundays 6 to 11:00 p.m.

Email the Arts Desk at [email protected]