Want Food Quick? Put It on a Stick

Katie Peurrung

An NYU student enjoys a popsicle on the steps of an apartment building on 12th Street.

Celina Khorma, Staff Writer

If you needed an excuse to shamelessly celebrate your love for corn dogs or cake pops, the proclaimed national “Something on a Stick Day” just passed on March 28, but if you missed it we have five foods that you nibble on year round.

Kebab/Veggie Skewers

Cutlery is so last season — ditch your steak knife and make room for a steak stick. These convenient kebabs allow you to consume your daily dose of protein more easily as a skewer. This meal is served as a skewer with flavorful cubes of beef, chicken or, more common in fusion cuisine, salmon. Ariana Afghan Kebob offers an array of grilled kebabs mostly geared toward meateaters such as Beef Tikka Kebab and Lamb Kofta Kebab. If you’re a vegetarian, the family-owned restaurant has many curries — though not vegetable skewers. However, most vegetables, like peppers, onions and zucchini pack just as much flavor on a stick and are easily made at home even without a grill. 

S’mores

Though the closest NYU students get to spending time in the great outdoors is strolling through Washington Square Park with a hot coffee in hand, that doesn’t mean we can’t also enjoy this campfire treat. It’s thought that s’mores were named after the fact that after eating them, people kept asking for “some more.” This addictive treat with marshmallows charred over an open campfire and a piece of chocolate sandwiched between two graham crackers is irresistible. Luckily there are many places you can get s’mores-themed treats that don’t require an open fire on your part. Dominique Ansel Kitchen has its very own frozen s’mores, perfect for the warmer weather heading our way.

Corn dogs

These batter-coated, deep-fried sausages on sticks originally came about at a Texas state fair in 1940. They’re perfect to pack layers of flavor with an endless array of toppings to drizzle and coat. Getting a corn dog is only a short two minute walk from Washington Square Park at Papaya Dog, that should be an added incentive to indulge in between classes.

Popsicles

Craving thick, velvety ice cream? Or maybe smooth, sweet sorbet? Popsicles can give you the best of both worlds. Head down to your local grocery store and pick whichever frozen treat on a stick speaks to you or flock to La Newyorkina for authentic Mexican paletas. This renowned New York City parlor serves paletas, or Mexican popsicles. They come in an array of different flavors like mango chile or Mexican chocolate, making it the quintessential spot to tap into your sweet tooth when you’re craving frozen, sugary deliciousness on the go.

Cake pops

First there were cake slices that were too big, so we condensed them into cupcakes. And because that apparently wasn’t enough, we then dipped miniscule bites of cake in chocolate before skewering them on sticks — and the cake pop was born. These small desserts really do pack a lot of flavor. Their small size also makes them easy to make at home. All you have to do is mix pre-baked cake with frosting, form the dough into balls, dip them in chocolate, sprinkle with whatever toppings you desire and skewer them into sticks for portable bites of heaven. This recipe from Divas Can Cook is perfect for the chocoholics out there.

Sweet or savory —  the stick is able to capture it all. Skewer any of these treats for a quick and portable treat.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, April 2 print edition. Email Celina Khorma at [email protected].