Diversity in Fashion at the 90th Annual Academy Awards

Greta Gerwig at the 90th Academy Awards Ceremony on Mar. 4.

Via Instagram.com

Zuleyma Sanchez, Deputy Social Media Editor

This award season, Hollywood’s leading stars choose to be bold in their activism and bolder in their fashion choices.

Gone are the days of repetitive black tuxes and simple silhouettes; Hollywood’s newest class of creatives continues its quest to shake up tradition and to invigorate the industry with a sense of modernity. After igniting powerful dialogue and showcasing red carpet solidarity with movements such as #MeToo and #Times Up, the Academy Awards red carpet appeared like a vibrant celebration of all that change has begun to take shape within the industry. Usually, eccentric fashion choices are reserved for shows like the Golden Globes. However, since this year’s Golden Globes was used as a moment of solidarity, some of that eccentricity found its way onto the Academy Awards red carpet, and many attendees showed up in outfits that felt like unapologetic embodiment of themselves.

Timothée Chalamet appeared as angelic as ever in a crisp and perfectly tailored, all-white Berluti suit. The bright outfit choice proved age appropriate and served as the perfect metaphor for his presence throughout the award season — a fresh-faced actor who stands out and lights up the room with enthused smiles.

“I, Tonya” star and “Best Actress” nominee, Margot Robbie, also shone brightly in a white Chanel gown. The streamlined silhouette was more mature than her usual style, but the combination of a pretty shoulder lace detailing and effortless hairdo seemed appropriate for her transition to bonafide movie star and producer powerhouse.

Vibranium by Versace. #Oscars #WakandaForever

A post shared by Lupita Nyong’o (@lupitanyongo) on

Superheroes also had no shortage of spotlight moments on the red carpet. Gal Gadot sparkled in Givenchy gown whose top-to-bottom sequencing appeared reminiscent of chic, full-bodied armor. “Black Panther” star Chadwick Boseman embraced his inner Wakandan royalty in a long, black, embroidered Givenchy Couture jacket. Boseman’s co-star Lupita Nyong’o looked just as regal in an Atelier Versace gown that draped over her body like liquid gold.

“Lady Bird” duo Saoirse Ronan and Greta Gerwig both sported looks that exuded a confident air of femininity. Gerwig manifested her sun-filled California roots in a sparkle-detailed, yellow Rodarte gown while Saoirse Ronan achieved her signature cool-girl, demure style in a structured pale pink Calvin Klein dress, complete with an oversized bow.

More than just different, the choices on the Oscar’s red carpet were undeniably cool. Men departed from the typical lineup of interchangeable black suits and experimented with color and fabrics. Screenwriter James Ivory wore a hand-painted shirt, complete with a portrait of Timothée Chalamet’s face. Oscar Isaac, Michael Stuhlbarg and Ansel Elgort rocked velvet for their ensembles. Ultimately, Armie Hammer of “Call Me By Your Name” and Daniel Kaluuya of “Get Out” managed to take home the awards for best velvet looks. Hammer ditched his love of tracksuits and managed to look contemporary and fashion forward in a custom Giorgio Armani red velvet tux. Kaluuya combined a classic bow tie with a golden, velvet Brunello Cucinelli jacket, looking like the personification of the night’s coveted golden statue.

All in all, this awards season has proven that the red carpets can be more than just runway shows. They can be stages for political commentary and powerful movements. They can also be evidence that the call for diversity is being heard throughout the world, and is becoming recognized within the world of fashion.

Email Zuleyma Sanchez at [email protected].