Sofar Sounds Founder Reflects on Success

Aicha Fall, Contributing Writer

• Sofar Sounds organizes live music events where audience members sign up with no idea where the show will be held or who will be performing. Rafe Offer founded it with the intention of bringing back love and appreciation for live music

Sofar Sounds is bringing back our love and appreciation for live music. Rafe Offer and Rocky Start, who founded the company in London in 2009, were concerned about the lack of focus at music gigs. It is almost impossible to watch a concert without seeing hundreds of tiny screens before you, recording the entire show rather than enjoying the live performance. Sofar hosts intimate shows across 382 cities worldwide, where audience members sign up having no idea where the show will be held or who will be performing. Locations range from homes to roofs to random forests, and independent and emerging artists are able to showcase their work to an engaged audience.

WSN caught up with co-founder Rafe Offer to discuss the rise of this global community.

Washington Square News: What inspired Sofar Sounds?

Rafe Offer: I have been a fan of music since I was old enough to listen and always had a concern on the lack of focus at gigs, especially with mobile phones and everything. I was at a gig with two friends, and during the performance people were loud [and] drinking, there was an open bar so there was a lot of talking going on, and it was and has always been soul crushing to see this happening at a show.

WSN: What was your initial hope for Sofar Sounds?

RO: Initially, it was just to have fun, and then it became a hobby. Only much later did we ask ourselves, ‘Can we gently educate a few more people or see if there’s anyone else who feels the same way we do?’ In the sense that shows are so much better when the audience is attentive.

WSN: Did you expect it to become this successful? What do you think has made it so popular?

RO: We didn’t expect it to be anything, but this is a problem that’s worldwide. Everyone who attends is a true music fan, and the rules are simple. All we ask is to be focused. It’s [Bring Your Own Bottle], so people bring and share stuff. It carries a vibe of community. So, people who went to a Sofar in New York will look us up in Chicago if they go there because they met people, enjoyed it and want to attend more of them.

WSN: What are some of your favorite Sofar Sounds performances?

RO: Reeps One, who is an incredible beatboxer, Kate Tempest, who does spoken word [and] Hozier. Jorja Smith’s Sofar show was in my house actually, last month. She is incredible. There are so many more.

WSN: What do you look for in a Sofar Sounds performing artist?

RO: It is very individualized, and each city has a local review group, so we ask those people to put on something that touches them in some way. It is genre neutral, based on a vote, and those on the committee are very different. For example, in New York there is a 15-year-old girl and a 50-year-old man both in the review group, so it’s like if they can come to an agreement, a diverse audience can surely enjoy the artists chosen. We look for fresh, very talented people who we can help get discovered.

Keep up with Sofar Sounds and apply to attend, host or even perform all on their website sofarsounds.com.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Oct. 23 print edition. Email Aicha Fall at [email protected]