Men’s Basketball Ends Seven-Game Losing Streak

A recap of everything NYU athletics from Feb. 3rd to Feb. 9th.
Charlie Dodge
Staff Illustration by Charlie Dodge

Men’s Volleyball 

Men’s volleyball stayed undefeated with victories against Baruch College and Hunter College. On Tuesday, Feb. 4, the Violets swept Baruch College, winning 25-16, 25-20 and 25-19. The Violets never trailed until the third set, when Bearcats led 1-0. NYU never looked back, going on a 5-0 run, and ultimately completing the sweep with a 25-19 victory. Leaders of the match included CAS seniors Evan Lindley with eight kills, Matin Bikdeli with 29 assists and Connor Keowen with six digs.

On Thursday, Feb. 6, the Violets defeated Hunter College 3-1. The team won their first set, staying consistently ahead in its 25-20 victory. The Hawks led the majority of the second set until the Violets forced a 19-19 tie. Hunter College then scored the next three points, and pulled away with a 25-22 victory. NYU bounced back in the third set, winning 25-17. The fourth set was back and forth until Hunter College led 17-15. The Violets then went on a 5-0 run, never giving up the lead. NYU ultimately won the set 25-22. Team leaders included Tandon senior Neil Ferraro with 15 kills, Stern sophomore Ryan Whealen with 44 assists and Keowen with 16 digs.

The Violets play The Sage Colleges on Feb. 12 and Nazareth College on Feb. 14.

Women’s Basketball 

The Violets remain a contender for the top seed in the UAA conference, with a 2-0 record this week. On Friday, Feb. 7, the Violets defeated Carnegie Mellon University 69-60. The game was close going into the fourth quarter, with NYU holding a two point lead. Rory Meyers junior Katie Foos hit two key three-pointers in the fourth quarter, allowing the Violets to win by a comfortable margin. Steinhardt first-year Jenny Walker led NYU with 18 points and 11 rebounds and CAS senior Annie Barrett led NYU with four assists.

On Sunday, Feb. 9, the women’s basketball team defeated Case Western Reserve University 64-55. Trailing by one early in the fourth quarter, Foos drained a three-pointer with 8:33 left in the game, giving NYU the lead for the rest of the game. Team leaders included Steinhardt junior Janean Cuffee with 20 points and four assists and Steinhardt sophomore Meghan McLaughlin with nine rebounds. 

The Violets compete against Emory University on Feb. 14. 

Men’s Basketball 

Men’s basketball went 1-1 this week, ending their seven-game losing streak. On Friday, Feb. 7, the Violets traveled to Pittsburgh and earned their first UAA conference victory in a close game against Carnegie Mellon, winning 80-79. With 2:38 remaining in the game, NYU and Carnegie Mellon were tied at 75. Neither team scored again until the 1:40 mark, when CAS sophomore Nick Macarchuk hit a clutch three-pointer, putting the Violets ahead by three. Carnegie Mellon missed the potential game-winning three-pointer with three seconds left and the Violets held on to the victory. Team leaders for the Violets were CAS junior Bobby Hawkinson with 19 points and 12 rebounds and SPS senior Jimmy Martinelli and SPS junior Jaden Narwal with two assists each.

On Sunday, Feb. 9, the Violets fell to Case Western Reserve University 90-60. NYU struggled on offense, shooting 34.8% from the field and 26.7% from the three-point line. Stern sophomore Cade Hoppe led NYU with 17 points, Hawkinson led NYU with 12 rebounds and Narwal and Macarchuk led NYU with three assists each. 

The Violets face Emory University on Feb. 14.

Women’s Fencing 

On Saturday, Feb. 8, the Violets went 5-0 in the FDU Invitational, blowing out Wagner College (20-7) and Long Island University Brooklyn (24-3), shutting out the City College of New York (27-0) and Hunter College (27-0) and narrowly defeating Stevens (14-13). Stern first-year Ria Jobalia was the standout as she went 14-1 in epee.

The Violets return to action on Feb. 12 at the Columbia University Invitational.

Men’s Wrestling 

On Saturday Feb. 8, the men’s wrestling team competed at the US Coast Guard Academy, blowing out Bridgewater State (40-12), Worcester Polytechnic Institute (33-9) and losing a close battle against the United States Coast Guard Academy (19-18). For Stern senior Sean Lyons, his victory against WPI was a special one — it was his 100th career victory.

The Violets return to action on Feb. 15 for the UAA Championship.

Swimming and Diving

The men and women’s swim and dive team hosted the NYU Invitational on Friday, Feb. 7 and Saturday, Feb. 8, where there was no team scoring.

On day one, many of the NYU swimmers placed first in their competition. For the men’s team, Tandon first-year Aaron Hsieh won the 100-yard breastroke in 59.26 seconds and SPS first-year Jack Mullen won the 200-yard backstroke in 1:55.22. For the women’s team, Stern sophomore Nikita Kouznetsova won the 200-yard backstroke in 2:04.95 and Steinhardt first-year Camille Valvur won the 100-yard freestyle in 54.76 seconds. The women’s diving team also swept the one-meter board, where CAS senior Carmen White, CAS first-year Katherine Nardone and CAS junior Ashlyn Winship finished in first, second and third place.

On day two, NYU continued its dominance. For the men’s team, Tandon sophomore Nick Tran won the 200-yard freestyle in 1:40.55. The men’s diving team swept the one-meter board as Rory Meyers sophomore Cole Vertin, Steinhardt senior Nick Lemieux and Liberal Studies first-year Jack Callaghan finished in first, second and third place. For the women’s team, Stern sophomore Emilie Parks won the 100-yard backstroke in 58.78 seconds. The women’s diving team swept in similar fashion in the three-meter board, as White, Winship and Nardone placed in the top three.

The Violets return to action on Feb. 12 for the UAA Championships.

Track and Field 

The men and women’s track and field team competed at the University of Albany Invitational on Friday, Feb. 7, where there was no team scoring at this meet. 

The women’s team had many great performers. CAS first-year Isre’al Conerly shined with a 13th-place finish in the 400-meter and 200-meter run, Steinhardt first-year Siena Moran and Tandon graduate student Rebecca MacLeod finished in 13th and 15th place in the 1,000-meter run and CAS senior Evelyn Nkanga finished in 11th place in the triple jump.

On the men’s team, CAS senior Carter Beardsley excelled with an eighth place in the weight throw, followed by SPS senior Julian Montilus, who finished in 23rd place in the 60-meter hurdles and CAS junior Dillan Spector, who finished in 42nd place in the distance run.

The Violets’ next meet is the Valentine Invitational, hosted by Boston University, on Feb. 14.

A version of this article appears in the Monday, Feb. 10, 2020, print edition. Email Arvind Sriram at [email protected].

Arvind Sriram, Sports Editor
Arvind is a first-year intending to study Economics and Journalism. He's from Arizona but proudly proclaims himself as a New Yorker despite living here for only three months. If you want to debate obscure sports topics such as the most valuable role players in the NBA, hit him up on Instagram @arvindsriram04.
Charlie Dodge, Creative Director
Charlie Dodge is a cartoonist/writer/junior at Gallatin studying 21st Century Storytelling. Originally a Californian, she has once again taken refuge in NYC this semester. She loves museums (especially the free ones) and has aspirations for a future curatorial career. Charlie frequently collaborates with Leo Sheingate, and posts way too many photos on Instagram @muckrakerdodge.