Three Women’s Tennis Players Advance to Nationals

Women’s tennis and men’s and women’s soccer were very successful this week, while men’s and women’s golf, men’s tennis, men’s cross country and women’s volleyball had average performances.
CAS+junior+Coco+Kulle+returns+a+shot+at+a+Sept.+22+tournament.+%28via+NYU+Athletics%29+
CAS junior Coco Kulle returns a shot at a Sept. 22 tournament. (via NYU Athletics)

Men’s Golf

The Violets finished up the Williams College Fall Invitational last Sunday, ending up in fourth place of 25 teams. NYU shot 301 on the second day to bring their tournament total to 592. Leading the way was Stern sophomore Joseph Burlison, who finished third on the weekend with a one-over-par 72 on Sunday and a 142 overall. Other golfers in the top 20 were Tisch junior Robbie Keyes in 12th with a 148 on the tournament and CAS first-year Alan Chen, who tied for 17th after shooting 149.

The men next tee off on Saturday when they play in the Liberty League Fall Preview on Saturday. 

Women’s Golf

NYU wrapped up the Mount Holyoke invitational last Sunday. The Violets finished second of 17 teams in the par 72 course, shooting 309 in round two for a 622 total. This was tied with Middlebury College, but NYU’s lower round two score gave them the edge. Top 10 finishers included Tisch junior Jessica Wu, who finished sixth with 152, Stern junior Ashley Lung, who finished eighth with 154 and CAS senior Arisa Kimura and Stern junior Navika Kuchakulla, who tied for ninth ending the tournament with 155. 

This weekend, the Violets competed in the George Phinney Jr. Golf Classic at Middlebury College. NYU finished in fourth place of 12 teams with a two-day total of 644. Middlebury won the tournament with a 634. SPS first-year Sophia Bain led NYU with a fifth-place performance of 158.  

The team’s next tournament is the Tartan Invitational, hosted by Carnegie Mellon on Oct. 7. 

Women’s Tennis

NYU finished the ITA Northeast Regional Championships strong last Saturday and Sunday with three players advancing to the Oracle ITA Cup in Rome, Georgia on Oct. 17. The duo of Stern junior Anna Maria Buraya and Liberal Studies first-year Anastasiia Balyk beat their counterparts from Skidmore, dropping the first set 6-2 but winning the next two, 6-0 and 6-2, to advance to nationals.

On the singles side, Stern first-year Karina Jensrud also advanced to nationals. It also took her three tries, losing her first 4-6, then pulling out 7-5 and 6-0 wins to beat first-year Miriam Gandham of Vassar College.

These three players will advance and will next see the court on Oct. 17 in the Oracle ITA Cup.

Men’s Tennis

The men’s side had less luck in their ITA Northeast Regional Championships on Friday and Saturday. On day one, all of the doubles teams lost, and only singles players CAS sophomore Christian Otero and CAS first-year Alex Yang won their first round matches. Otero followed this up with a 6-1, 6-1 loss in the second round, while Yang advanced to day two. On day two, Yang put up a strong fight against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute junior Sebastian Castillo-Sanchez, but ultimately fell short of making it to nationals, falling 6-0 and 6-4.

Women’s Soccer

The Violets continued their winning ways this week, beating Farmingdale State on Wednesday and Mount St. Mary College on Sunday. In the former, only one goal was needed when CAS junior Julia Raith was assisted by Stern junior Francesca Dimitrakis in the 77th minute. 

Sunday was CAS junior Sam March’s day. She scored both of NYU’s goals in the 2-0 win. The first came in the 27th minute on a penalty kick and the next came just after halftime, in the 49th minute. NYU dominated Mount St. Mary, out-shooting them 22-5 and 11-3 on goal despite coming in even in terms of fouls. 

The team returns to the pitch on Saturday when they take on Case Western Reserve University at home. 

Men’s Soccer

Men’s soccer continued their win streak and pushed their record up to 3-4-1 with a double-overtime victory at home on Saturday. It was a back and forth game as Stevens Institute of Technology opened the scoring in the 55th minute on a goal from first-year Bruno Andino. NYU was then able to tie it up in the 85th minute when Liberal Studies senior Owen Smith scored off an SPS senior Sergio Monton corner. This score held until the 105th minute when CAS first-year Talal Said was able to win it for the Violets off of a Monton cross. 

The Violets look to move up to .500 on Saturday at home against Case Western. 

Women’s Volleyball

The Violets split their two matches this week, sweeping Lehman College and losing to Ithaca College. On Thursday, NYU faced Lehman for the first time since the 1994-95 season and beat them 25-11, 25-9 and 25-10. Leading the way were Liberal Studies sophomore Amy Zhang with nine kills, CAS sophomore Veronica Johnson with 10 assists and Gallatin sophomore Maddie DeJong with five digs. 

On Saturday, the now 13-4 NYU fell to 11-5 Ithaca College three sets to one. The Violets pulled off a close win in their first set and had a 23-22 lead in the second, but couldn’t capitalize and lost sets two through four. 

NYU’s next match is at Hunter College on Thursday. 

Men’s Cross Country

Men’s Cross Country finished ninth in the Purple Valley Classic, hosted by Williams College on Saturday. In the 8k course, CAS junior Jonathan Sussman was the fastest Violet, finishing in 27th place with a time of 27:21.2. NYU fared better in the 5k, with two runners in the top 10. CAS junior Alejandro Gonzalez finished in fourth place in 17:18, and CAS junior Oliver Jacob finished in 17:34, which was good for eighth place. 

The Violet’s next meet will be the Paul Short Invitational, hosted by Lehigh University on Saturday. 

A version of this article appears in the Monday, Sept. 30, print edition. Email Benjamin Michael Davis at [email protected].