Tisch and Shanghai Collaborate on Interactive Media Master’s Program

The program teaches students how to create different types of interactive media through a combination of online courses and courses in New York, Shanghai and Berlin.
Interactive Media Arts at NYU Shanghai (via NYU Shanghai)

A new one-year master’s program in Interactive Media Arts will require students to take classes in Berlin, New York and Shanghai.

NYU Shanghai and Tisch School of the Arts partnered to create the Master of Arts in Interactive Media Arts, which will begin to be offered in the summer of 2020. The MA consists of two semesters of online curriculum combined with three residencies in New York, Shanghai and another location from NYU’s global network that will rotate annually. For the program’s first year, that location will be NYU Berlin.

Students will start in Shanghai in the summer of 2020, then take an online course in the fall. During J-term, they will study in Berlin, then take another online course in the spring before finishing the masters in New York in the summer of 2021.

Assistant Arts Professor and Director of the Interactive Media MA program Craig Protzel said that the master’s exposes students to different types of learning.

“With such a unique mixture of locations and contexts, the structure of the [low residency] offers an exciting opportunity to explore new modes of learning and collaboration both in-person and at a distance,” Protzel wrote in an email to WSN.

The design of the course is meant to provide flexibility for students, according to a press release. The subject matter comes from multiple fields of study, including coding, web design, graphic design and media. A collaboration between Tisch’s Interactive Telecommunications program and Shanghai’s Interactive Media Arts program, the MA teaches students how to create virtual reality, animation and videos.

“This joint low-residency master’s program builds in innovative ways on the strengths of both IMA and ITP to create something brand new that represents the best of both,” NYU Shanghai Provost Joanna Waley-Cohen wrote in an email to WSN.

Associate Dean of Emerging Media at the Tisch School of the Arts Dan O’Sullivan said the program makes full use of NYU’s global network of campuses.

“The strength of NYU’s global network provides an ideal opportunity for working professionals of all stripes to further explore the possibilities for creative experimentation and engender a deeper understanding of the world around us through the use of new technologies,” O’Sullivan said in the press release.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, September 9, 2019 print edition. Email Andy Fan at [email protected].