Four Unique Valentine’s Day Gifts to Surprise Your Loved Ones

Foolproof gift suggestions that’ll have your S.O/bestie/self surprised at how good you are at giving gifts!
Alex Tran
Valentine’s Day is coming to town. Listen to WSN for some gift ideas that would blow your significant other’s mind. (Staff Photo by Alex Tran)

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, it’s normal to feel that overwhelming sense of panic when the thought enters your brain: “Oh no, what am I gonna get [insert valentine’s name]?” Whether Valentine’s Day is an occasion usually spent with friends, family or a significant other, it’s easy to get caught up in the idea of the perfect gift, without being corny or cliche. Here is a guide to some unique gift ideas that will probably leave your valentine feeling pleasantly surprised.

Personalized jewelry:

Personalized jewelry is one great way to tell your loved one how much they mean to you. Rory Meyers first-year Mariana O’Brien said she is planning on giving her boyfriend a custom gold Cuban link bracelet with her initials on it.

“He’s been wanting some jewelry,” she said. “And Cuban link is his thing, and it matches his Rolex really nicely.”

A great website where you can buy jewelry and get it custom engraved is Things Remembered. They have a wide selection of watches, bracelets, cuff links, rings and other jewelry. With their ongoing Valentine’s Day sales offering items as low as $10, express shipping won’t seem like too much of a splurge. 

Tickets to your favorite romantic movie:

Sometimes there’s nothing better than a cheesy romance … or an incredibly moving classic. The Metrograph theater will be hosting a Valentine’s Day series from Feb. 7 to Feb. 14, with a special prix fixe dinner menu on the 14th. Movies being screened include “Casablanca,” “Your Name,” “Morocco,” “To Have and Have Not,” “The Age of Innocence,” “Written on the Wind,” “Trouble in Paradise” and “Empire in Passion.” Tickets cost $16, and you can check out the Metrograph’s website for showtimes and dates. 

Another upscale theater to consider could be the Angelika, where Q&As often follow screenings. When Tisch first-year Meagan Wachtel was searching for the right gift for her girlfriend, the Angelika was her perfect solution, with tickets costing $17.50 each.

“I got my girlfriend to see one of our favorite movies, ‘Portrait of a Lady on Fire,’ at the Angelika,” Wachtel said. “There’s a director’s Q&A, which she’ll love because she’s a film student.”

Parade Underwear:

Definitely a gift on the more intimate side, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be the perfect gift for your best friend. You may have seen this uber-popular intimate brand’s silky head scarves and logo everywhere, but (surprise!) they sell underwear. While specializing in body positivity with extended sizing and sustainability with recycled fabrics, they also donate one percent of their profits to Planned Parenthood. It’s a gift you can definitely feel good about spending your money on.

Pictures of your favorite memories together:

You can’t get more personal than photos. From a simple frame to elaborate photo banners, there is no shortage of ways to display affection through your most intimate moments caught on camera. 

Rory Meyers first-year Danielle Malave plans on giving her boyfriend “an album of [their] photos together with memories written on the back of each one.” 

“Homemade gifts are more fun, and I get the chance to be cute and emotional,” she said.

Email Dani Ortiz at [email protected].