Photo Essay: Strategy for Black Lives leads Justice for George Floyd rally in Times Square

The activist organization, founded in the wake of Floyd’s murder, is now demanding an end to police terror and brutality.

Paul Kim and Taylor Knight

Protesters gathered in Times Square at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, April 20 in reaction to the verdict of Derek Chauvin’s murder trial. The group of over 100 demonstrators moved towards Washington Square Park. (Staff Photo by Taylor Knight)
The demonstration was organized by Strategy For Black Lives, a community organization founded in the wake of George Floyd’s murder last May. (Staff Photo by Taylor Knight)
The protesters carried signs that said “Justice for George Floyd is No More Cop Terror” and banners that read “This is a Revolt Against Racism.” As protestors marched, they shouted “Black lives matter” among other call-and-response chants. (Staff Photo by Taylor Knight)
Larry M. Smith Jr., 22, is known by his community as IAMQUEENS. He dons his yellow bandana and Strategy For Black Lives hoodie as he leads the march alongside his fellow SBL founders. “We have nothing to lose but our chains,” he said. (Staff Photo by Taylor Knight)
Isaiah Prodigy, another Strategy For Black Lives organizer, addresses the gathered crowd. (Staff Photo by Taylor Knight)
Signs at the demonstration read “People’s Verdict: Guilty!” Chauvin was found guilty on second- and third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter charges. (Staff Photo by Taylor Knight)