Women’s basketball advances in NCAA, wrestling sends three to National Championships and other news

Here’s what you need to know from the past week in NYU athletics. This week: Feb. 26 – March 3.
Alisia Houghtaling
Sports Weekly recaps all the highlights from NYU athletics. (Alisia Houghtaling for WSN)

Basketball

This past weekend were rounds one and two of the NCAA Division III basketball championship. 

For the first time since 2012, the men’s team hosted the first two rounds. After defeating Husson University 82-61 on Friday, the Violets lost to Tufts University 62-65 on Saturday. Still, NYU walked away having achieved one of its most successful seasons in recent years, including the first UAA title in 30 years.  

In Center Valley, PA, the women’s team secured its spot in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament for the third year in a row. The Violets defeated Millsaps College 78-51 on Friday and DeSales University 93-59 on Saturday. They return home for the quarter finals, where they’ll face Hardin-Simmons at 7 p.m. on Friday. 

Baseball

Baseball lost their first game after two weekends of play and are now 6-1.  

NYU defeated Vassar College 9-1 on Friday, continuing their strong start to the season. On Saturday, the team played a doubleheader against Haverford College. The Violets took game one 9-4, but fell 8-14 in game two. 

The Violets will play a three-game series against College of Mount Saint Vincent this coming weekend in Staten Island. 

Fencing 

Both the women’s and men’s teams spent the week preparing for the NCAA Regional Championship, which will be hosted at Long Island University on March 10.

Softball

Softball began their season this week, splitting a doubleheader against the Stevens Institute of Technology. After losing 0-6 in game one, the Violets came back to win game two 6-5. 

Due to the rain, Saturday’s doubleheader against The College of New Jersey was postponed. 

On Thursday, the Violets will play St. Joseph’s University Brooklyn at their home field in Fordham University.

Swimming & Diving

Members of the dive team competed in the NCAA Northeast Regional Championships Colby College in Waterville, ME last weekend.

On Friday, Meera Kasturi led the women’s team with a 399.90 1-meter dive on Friday. Sahil Das led the men’s team with a 436.80 3-meter dive. Both took seventh place in their events.  

On Saturday, Maya Williams scored 438.15 on the 3-meter dive, placing fourth and qualifying for the NCAA National Championships. 

Members of the swim team will also compete in the NCAA Championships March 20-23 in Greensboro, NC. 

NYU will host the Alumni Meet at Palladium on Saturday, March 9. 

Tennis

The men’s and women’s tennis teams played against the Rochester Institute of Technology on Saturday. Both teams won 9-0.

However, they both lost on Sunday. The men’s team lost to Queens College 4-5 and the women’s team were defeated 2-5 by Williams College.

Both teams will play against The College of New Jersey on Saturday, March 23, where the men will face New Jersey Institute of Technology as well.   

Track & Field

Members of the track and field teams competed in the All-Atlantic Region Track and Field Conference Indoor Championships last weekend at Nazareth University. 

The men’s 4×200 relay team, consisting of Travis Perry, Matt Marcelo, Nishad Sankar, and Emmanuel Brito, finished in 1:33.75, placing 2oth and breaking the previous season best, 1:33.86, set in December. 

The women’s 4×200 relay team, consisting of Cindy Leonard, Kate Walsh, Beverly Okyere, and Seneca Guneratne, earned tenth place with a 1:48.05 finish. 

NYU remained scoreless after two days of competition. 

This Friday, March 8, members of the track and field will compete in the NCAA Division III Indoor Championships in Virginia Beach, VA.

The outdoor season will begin on March 22 at the Emory Thrills in the Hills Open in Atlanta, GA.

Volleyball

Men’s volleyball defeated Rutgers University 3-2 on Saturday, March 2. The Violets lost a competitive first set 27-29, but managed to find form in the second. NYU fell behind early in the third set, but clawed back to a 21-21 tie. They lost the set 21-25, but came back stronger in the fourth and fifth sets with wins, securing their third win in a row. 

They return to Paulson this Wednesday to play Kean University. 

Wrestling

NYU wrestling competed in the NCAA Division III Northeast Regionals in Worcester, MA last weekend. 

Cooper Pontelandolfo and Jason Geyer advanced to the next round of the championship for the 157 and 174 weight classes respectively, earning them a spot in the National competition in two weeks. Trent Furman also punched his ticket to nationals with his second place finish in the 184 bracket. 

The NCAA Division III National Championships will take place on March 15-16 in La Crosse, WI. 

Contact Sydney Barragan at [email protected]